General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dash lights on 89 pick-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question dash lights on 89 pick-up

the last bulb finaly burnt out on my intrument cluster, & I cant seem to figure out how to get to them to replace them. is there a trick to get to them ? my pick-up is a 1989, 5 speed, 4 wheel drive , 22 re. any advice would be appreciated
Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM

well, good question..you may reach up inside the dash from underneath, or just remove the whole cluster...I don't see other outputs of the situation
Old 01-27-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 222 Likes on 163 Posts
Old 01-27-2012, 03:34 PM

- Remove the lower dash on the driver's side. (1) 10mm bolt and a few phillips screws.
- Remove the glove box/lower dash on the passenger side. (1) 10mm bolt and a few phillips screws.
- Remove the radio bezel/center piece. Phillips screws. There is one screw hidden above the ash tray.
- Remove the dash bezel. Phillips screws.
- Pull the gauge cluster out. Phillips screws. You'll see the twist-lock bulb holders on the back.

The larger bulbs are 194s and the smaller ones are 74s. Also, if you have a tilt column, put it all the way down after you remove the lower dash...makes it easier to get the dash bezel out.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:22 PM

Dash lights 95 4 runner

i replaced the instrumentation cluster with led's and when i turned them on to check nothing, noda so i pulled them out turned them around nothing. then i noticed that the heater panel light is not working or the light in the shift lever so i check all fuses they are all good so then i put the old bulbs back in nothing. so then i took my test light and tried each bulb socket they have power to the socket and the power goes off when you turn off the lights. so every thing has power but new and old bulbs will not light up anyone know what's going on ?
Old 03-03-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dimmer switch must be installed

Originally Posted by Chuck 2200
i replaced the instrumentation cluster with led's and when i turned them on to check nothing, noda so i pulled them out turned them around nothing. then i noticed that the heater panel light is not working or the light in the shift lever so i check all fuses they are all good so then i put the old bulbs back in nothing. so then i took my test light and tried each bulb socket they have power to the socket and the power goes off when you turn off the lights. so every thing has power but new and old bulbs will not light up anyone know what's going on ?
Probably too late or this isn't the problem but the dimmer switch must installed for instrument lights to work. Hazard has to be connected for turn signals to work too.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by chicagopetedagreek1
the last bulb finaly burnt out on my intrument cluster, & I cant seem to figure out how to get to them to replace them. is there a trick to get to them ? my pick-up is a 1989, 5 speed, 4 wheel drive , 22 re. any advice would be appreciated
You will have to remove the entire gauge cluster to access the twist lock bulbs from behind the cluster box itself. This will involve two sections of the dashboard trims on the driver's side. (You do not need to remove the glove box with this procedure). Mostly screws and push clips hold them in. Fairly easy. There are a couple of good videos on You Tube that illustrate the process. The most helpful clue in the process that you'll want to remember, is how to get enough slack on the speedometer cable to get your hand behind the gauge box to disconnect it and the 4 wire connectors also attached to the back. It involves unhooking the cable from the two retainer clips on the fire wall inside the engine compartment. You can then push an 1.5" - 2" of cable through the wall toward the inside. Very easy and the only way to take care of the job. Good luck. It goes pretty fast when you've done it several times like I have with my '89.

Last edited by PDPorter; 04-05-2020 at 11:20 AM.