General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap dual battery set up questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap dual battery set up questions

Background: I swapped an OM617 diesel into my 86 pickup and the electrical system isn't cutting it. I have a winch, big stereo system and 6 KC lights. I have an Autozone 70 amp alternator that's cranking out 66 amps and an Optima Yellow Top D34/78 with 750 and 850 CCA and CA respectively. When using the glow plugs, it drains the battery too much to be able to start it too, when it's cold. I've determined the battery is bad now. I'll be rejuvenating over the next 3 months to hopefully bring it back. It didn't have enough CCA for the OM617 anyways.

Set up description: I'd like to convert to a dual battery set up with a D34/78 Red Top and a D34/78 Yellow Top. Everyone says to use identical batteries when going to dual batteries. However, I already bought the Red Top and it starts the diesel without a problem. I'd just like to use the Red Top for starting only, and throw everything else onto the deep cycle Yellow Top.

Questions:
**Can I run the above mentioned batteries together on the same alternator?

**Will a "GM 1-wire 130 amp" alternator be enough to charge them both? (I would like to replace the Yota alt with the GM one.)

**For isolating purposes, I'd like to go as cheap as possible. Painless' dual batt kits are over $200. Asinine... I say you should be able to do it for $100 or less. The way I set my glow plugs up was put the battery to a Ford starter solenoid, and then use a momentary switch to transfer that 12V to the glow plugs. Can I use another Ford starter solenoid for a battery isolator?

The way I picture it is I'll only draw from the Red Top with the starter. The batteries will be isolated during ignition. Once the engine is running, I will flip a switch to send power to the Ford starter solenoid, which will connect the circuit to the Yellow Top, allowing the Yellow Top to equalize with the Red Top and receive charge from the alternator.

Dual alternator's is impossible in my situation. Just looking for a cheap set up to make my 2 batteries last a lot longer like my 1st battery did before I changed anything on the truck (It lasted 13 years). This Yellow Top is only 3 years and 2 months old.