General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Wiring Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator Wiring Nightmare

Alright, so I am helping my brother with his 8522r Toyota pickup. He originally had an 82 motor in it, and he had to get a new one and installed an 87.

Now, he has been having a nightmare getting the alternator to work. He just bought a new one, so we are assuming that the alternator is fine (though we may pull it and have it checked soon.) Originally he accidentally wired the main wire from the battery (to the alt) to ground and blew his 80a main fuse. After realizing that mistake, he got it wired up and the truck running. But he has never gotten and voltage from the alternator, even after replacing it.

Some of the problems we have encountered-
-The alternator has an E, F, and L written where the wires goes, which is different from the lettering I am used to seeing, and what the FSM shows. Any translations?
-We have a yellow, white, and b/w coming off the alternator, and a red, green, and black where it connects to the car wiring. We had to use connectors to get it in because the harness from the old alternator didn't fit the new.
-Now, the black and white wire on the alternator,(which we had hooked up to the red) is grounding out, so is it a ground?
-We just disconnected everything, but I think we were blowing the dash light fuse because we had the red wire hooked up to the b/w one.
-
Beyond that, we are lost... We've got the Chilton wiring diagrams and the FSM ones, but we are still at a loss... I even tried running a hot wire to each of ones to the alternator while it was running to see if it made it work...

Any ideas?