General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 4Runner - Elec Prob - Rear Brake Lights Out

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 4Runner - Elec Prob - Rear Brake Lights Out

Hi!

I have a 98 4Runner V6 with an electric problem. I have never really done anything to it electrically except had an alarm installed 4 years ago, so hopefully this is normal wear and tear.

About a year ago my dashboard clock wouldn't go on. Rarely it will turn on with the wrong time, but mostly it is dead. Then 6 months ago my truck wouldn't start. I suspected the battery and swapped with a new one and it started. Two weeks ago I got in, started it up and noticed all my radio stations pre-sets were wiped out, which should mean it lost power at some point. Now, my rear brake lights are out. Thankfully the guy driving next to my wife was nice enough to get her attention and let her know.

So, if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. I am good with nuts and bolts but not electric.

Many thanks!
PJ
Old 04-07-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you could simply have bulbs out-verify that first is not the case.

Do you have the 4 pin trailer wiring connector at the back bumper? Has it been damaged?

So did you have starter problems when the battery seemingly had lost power?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 AM

The clock problem is most likely not related as many people have their clocks die.
As mentioned, check your bulbs and fuses first. Then check if you are getting any power to the sockets.
As for the pre-sets, I would take a look, tighten and clean all your battery connections and grounds.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:39 AM

Re: '98 4Runner - Elec Prob - Rear Brake Lights Out Reply to Thread

Thanks Ron!!

Yes, bulbs might just be the problem, but both at the same time? Could be. I will definitely check tonight.

I have never used the trailer hitch and I have to reason to believe it is damaged, but I will inspect the wiring tonight. That was a good idea.

I have never had starting problems before. A month or two before I changed the battery, I did notice that the radio station pre-sets were gone. The the battery died and I put a new one in, and now the pre-sets were gone again. I know the terminals are tight. Don't know what would cause that.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 AM

Rear Brake Lights

So, went home and stepped on the brakes. The top brake light does come on, but the left and right are out. I will get the bulbs today and change them.

Any tips on changing the rear bulbs? How do I get to the socket?

Thanks for all your input!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:59 AM

Rear brake lights

So, to finalize this thread, got the bulbs, went home, stepped on the brake. The top light worked, but not the two side brake lights.

It was weird, because my rear driving tail lights worked when I put the headlights on, and the rear driving lights use the same bulb as the rear brake lights...but when I stepped on the brake, they would not get brighter to signal I was braking.

So, I changed both bulbs and not they work. Found complete instructions (thanks Bob) at http://4runners.org/writeups/taillights/index.html

Thanks for the help!
LLPJ
Old 04-10-2009, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
appreciate the feedback on what it was.

You're learning great things over here. Glad we could help you talk it out.

Some bulbs are dual filament and serve two functions. So one filament is for the headlight indication and the other filament is for braking indication.

I really doubt both were bad at the same time-but on my 2nd gen one light out would affect both and I just took a guess that was what was happening to you.

We will have you doing a lift in no time LLPJ