General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85 pickup Hazards work but blinkers dont

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 pickup Hazards work but blinkers dont

I know there is already a post about this but my problem is slightly different.
My hazard lights work but my blinkers don't. I have checked the flasher relay, fuses and the control, all are good. I read something about a separate relay for your turn signals but I cant find it. any help??
Old 04-14-2013, 12:18 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just what happens when you try and use your turn signals??

Anything at all??
Old 04-14-2013, 07:35 AM

NO nothing at all. nothing in the dash and no lights. I did the test on the blinker switch from the manuel and I hav contunity in the right places according to the manuel. I have no bed any more its all cage so I put new lights and blinkers in the rear. but again the hazards work and not the blinkers.
thanks Wyoming9
Old 04-14-2013, 01:00 PM

Red face

Did the turn signals ever work ??

When did they stop working

Do you have a Multimeter ??

If not time to get one does not need to be super fancy but you should get one with a audible continuity tester. just makes it easier at times.

Check that you have battery voltage with the key on to the turn signal fuse also make sure it is making good contact in the fuse block .

Remember the hazards work with the key off the turn signals don`t some Toyota`s need to have the engine running .for the blinkers to flash
Old 04-14-2013, 01:15 PM

they used to work before I took the bed off and I have a meter I have been checking all the componets an still nothing. the turn signal fuse is the big 10 amp under the hood correct the says HAZARD/Horn. Im thinking I burnt or cut something very small because my fuel gauge is not working any more. im thinking about running all new wire from the plug under the seat.I had to run a new wire for my running lights also because they were not working. I have read something about leds but I don't have them so that shouldn't be a problem. Im just kinda stuck and don't know what else to do. I also turned my truck completely on to try signals and still nothing.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:21 PM

Red face

No your turn signals use there own fuse.

I am pretty sure it is in the cab.

Not having the electrical manual for that year i can`t be 100% sure.

The turn signal fuse is powered through the ignition switch where the hazard /horn fuse is powered all the time.

Find the fuse I bet that is the problem or you still have a shorted wire in the back in the rear harness some place. If the fuse blows when you try them.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by BurmBoy
...the turn signal fuse is the big 10 amp under the hood correct the says HAZARD/Horn. im thinking about running all new wire from the plug under the seat.I had to run a new wire for my running lights also because they were not working.
Don't do anything with the wiring until you find the schematic; you'd just add to your problem.

Originally Posted by wyoming9
No your turn signals use there own fuse.
I am pretty sure it is in the cab.
Not having the electrical manual for that year i can`t be 100% sure.
The turn signal fuse is powered through the ignition switch where the hazard /horn fuse is powered all the time.

Find the fuse I bet that is the problem or you still have a shorted wire in the back in the rear harness some place. If the fuse blows when you try them.
Agree with Wyoming. You gotta find a schematic, otherwise we'd all be guessing.

IF and only IF your schematic is same as 86-88 4Runner AND IF hazards are working, then problem is from terminal 2 of your turn signal switch (stalk) terminal 2 and upstream.

Name:  Schematic_Turn_Signal_zpsda17517d.jpg
Views: 17550
Size:  77.9 KB
Turn signal switch term 2 takes power from the Green wire with blue stripe coming from engine fuse, not the Ignition fuse. Engine fuse is the15Amp fuse in driver-side kick panel.

Is your backup light working? Is your alternator working? (alt takes excitation voltage from engine fuse.) If they both work, your engine fuse should have power to it (both sides read 12V from ground). IF so, find red wire that connects Engine fuse to reverse witch. Along that red wire, there should be a junction with G-L wire that connects to turn signal stalk switch. Makes sure it's intact and connects to turn signal switch terminal 2 (terminal 2 should ahve 12V when ignition switch is on).

If backup light is not working, but alt is working, trace red wire from engine fuse , make sure it connects to reverse light switch, then from that red wire there is G-L wire that should connect to turn signal stalk switch.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-15-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:00 PM

Sorry I haven't posted back but I worked on it with my dad today and we found I have a short in my "engine" 15 amp fuse on the driver side kick panel. My alternator also is not working and my reverse lights have never worked since I put in a new tranny. So as of right now I'm trying to find a short I know it is after the fuse. I have an 85 factory service Manuel that I'm looking through but the schematic I'd confusing. What do you guys think?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:10 PM

Sorry I haven't posted back but I worked on it with my dad today and we found I have a short in my "engine" 15 amp fuse on the driver side kick panel. My alternator also is not working and my reverse lights have never worked since I put in a new tranny. So as of right now I'm trying to find a short I know it is after the fuse. I have an 85 factory service Manuel that I'm looking through but the schematic I'd confusing. What do you guys think?
What I think is Hot wire to reverse light is shorting to transmission body, blowing your engine fuse (15A). Eng fuse supplies alternator field, computers and reverse light. See 1988 schematic above^^.
If you think you have a different schematic, wanna post it so others can help?

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-20-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:03 PM

Ok so I found a short in my harness and fixed the problem there were some wires rubbing together and I taped them up and everything works!!! Thanks for all your help guys
Old 04-21-2013, 07:09 PM

Ok so I found a short in my harness and fixed the problem there were some wires rubbing together and I taped them up and everything works!!!
Cool!

Thanks for all your help guys
Most welcome.
Please return the favor by describing where you found the short. Which part of the harness? Post pics if possible, so others may learn from your experience.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:34 PM

So I took my dash completely apart to expose the harness. I found a red with black stripe wire that was rubbing together with the ground shorting out the engine fuse. I taped it up individually and tried my blinkers and they worked. Then I tested my alternator and fuel level gauge and it all worked. Sorry I didn't take any pics. Thanks again for the help and advice!!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:07 AM

Hazards/ Blinkers/ Reverse lights don't work.

I have an 88 Toyota pickup with a 22re from a 92 in it. I just bought it and I am having trouble with the wiring. When I bought it, all the blinkers, hazards, and lights worked. Then my starter went out, battery died, etc. Now my blinkers (on dash and on bumpers), hazards, and reverse lights don't work. I replaced the starter and checked all my fuses (replaced 1) and they started working again. 3 days later, and they all stopped working again, and I cant trace the wiring from the blinkers to an actual pin. I have a Chilton's for the 88 but I haven't gotten one for the 92 motor yet. I am hoping the 92 22re is similar enough to the 88 22re but I am not sure, also depends on who replaced the motor (and hacked together the wiring). I am thinking a bad ground but everything looks good. Could it be a switch in the dash, a short? Any help appreciated! Thanks guys!

Jackie
Old 12-27-2019, 01:21 PM

So I took my dash completely apart to expose the harness. I found a red with black stripe wire that was rubbing together with the ground shorting out the engine fuse. I taped it up individually and tried my blinkers and they worked. Then I tested my alternator and fuel level gauge and it all worked. Sorry I didn't take any pics. Thanks again for the help and advice!!
could u pinpoint exactly where you found the short? Cuz im having the exact same problem and its my daily for work