General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

What makes 1st/2ndGen trucks easy prey for thieves?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Just learned from Grant if you have the cruise control option on your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gen you canNOT use the Grant steering wheel security system.
SUCKS.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have factory cruise control on my '85 4Runner and the Grant wheel works fine. Perhaps the issue is vehicles with steering wheel mounted c/c switches? Mine are on the wiper stalk.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine did too, just like 4crawler.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-03-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
WOW.. well, I talked with one of the engineers at Grant and he said "Nope, sorry we don't have a product for your truck." I said, any truck with cruise control 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen? He said "yep."
I think there is a difference in cruise control setups on the 94 pickup.
I will call them tomorrow.

Last edited by toyospearo; 01-03-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:28 PM
DRM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 85gijunk4x4
becuase the locks and windows arent really the best,
Several years back when I DD'd my 87 4Runner, I watched a kid "case" the parking lot looking to break into vehicles from my office window, 3 floors up. When he got to mine and looked inside, I bolted out of the office, flew down the stairs, and was at the truck in less than 3 minutes. In that time, he had already busted the vent wing window, opened the door, yanked the stereo, and was too far off for me to catch up with him.

So yeah - "not really the best" is an understatement.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:22 AM

DD'd

What does double dutied or double duty mean? I see it used a lot on here but what exactly are the two duties?

Last edited by illquill; 09-04-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by illquill
What does double dutied or double duty mean? I see it used a lot on here but what exactly are the two duties?
dd = daily driver?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:19 AM

Red face

that's what i thought it meant originally, and then i was reading a post on something else where 'daily driver' didn't fit at all and it had to mean something else. Then through a bunch of searching I finally found a chevrolet forum that was using dd to mean double duty and then that prompted my reply on here. So I guess most of the time on yota tech it means daily driver but it can also mean double duty,... I hate internet slang and abbreviations.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:55 PM

the shifter for my 79 pickup isnt attached, i usually pull that off and hide it. makes a good whoopin stick if someone was to try and mug you ^_^
Old 07-28-2012, 11:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I had a kill switch, battery disconnect, alarm and roll down rear window in my 89 Long Bed 4WD with Locked Shell(no wing windows)... New outlaw2's wearing brand new 33x12.50 MT's, nice Alpine with 10Disc Changer, Eq, Amp and 4 6x9 Pioneer 4ways............ At 2AM, Middle of Ventura BLVD when I was cooking a BIG Party for Movie Makers.... They pulled up with a flat bed, yoinked it up and with alarm blaring, rolled off down the street!(Ventura Blvd in Encino, CA is a BUSY Street... and even at 2AM the bars letting out, it's busy)... BUT tires screeching and all, NO ONE thought anything of it! Got it back with NO SOUNDS, NO WHEELS OR TIRES, NO LIGHT ASSEMBLIES AND some engine stuffs...... Found in Upper Tujunga on Milk Crates. VERY discouraging! My point is that ANY OF THOSE THINGS ARE GOOD! Don't get me wrong! But if someone wants your toy... they'll risk quite a bit to take it, by Winch Cable or otherwise! GRRRRRRRRR!
Old 07-29-2012, 02:36 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I had a kill switch, battery disconnect, alarm and roll down rear window in my 89 Long Bed 4WD with Locked Shell(no wing windows)... New outlaw2's wearing brand new 33x12.50 MT's, nice Alpine with 10Disc Changer, Eq, Amp and 4 6x9 Pioneer 4ways............ At 2AM, Middle of Ventura BLVD when I was cooking a BIG Party for Movie Makers.... They pulled up with a flat bed, yoinked it up and with alarm blaring, rolled off down the street!(Ventura Blvd in Encino, CA is a BUSY Street... and even at 2AM the bars letting out, it's busy)... BUT tires screeching and all, NO ONE thought anything of it! Got it back with NO SOUNDS, NO WHEELS OR TIRES, NO LIGHT ASSEMBLIES AND some engine stuffs...... Found in Upper Tujunga on Milk Crates. VERY discouraging! My point is that ANY OF THOSE THINGS ARE GOOD! Don't get me wrong! But if someone wants your toy... they'll risk quite a bit to take it, by Winch Cable or otherwise! GRRRRRRRRR!

yep, where there is an oxygen thief on a mission, there is a way..It sucks.

i have a few things in addition to the grant steering wheel (won't work on airbag equipped trucks/cars)-I also turn my wheel sideways before pulling the steering wheel..it won't tow straight..
Originally Posted by dropzone
I have been considering one of the Grant Removeable Steering wheel systems for a few years. TrekkerPaul gave me a Grant steering wheel out of truck he parted out so thought it was a good excuse to order one.
Cheapest place I found was from Jegs. Ordered on a Friday, got it on a tuesday. awesome service IMO. About $50 lower than Auto Zone and $90 cheaper than Grant's List price of $215

Install time is probably 20-30 minutes or so.
Put the Grant Removeable steering wheel security thing in today:

Put the key in, a slight turn to the left and pop off the steering wheel:

Put the Red 'can't drive this one' warning in:

I think this will be a great way to help me keep my truck around...
If you have an electric fuel pump, an inline switch works good too..
Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 AM

I like that grant steering wheel, especially when I'm parking on campus...otherwise I don't really worry about security since I live down a long dirt road with an 80lb doberman and a chihuahua lol.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first gen trucks are particularly vulnerable. Mine has no wing windows, and no sliding rear glass and I can still get into it in a matter of minutes. Hidden kill switches are probably the best option. If I take it to the city, I try to park it parallel on a hill as stuffed between to cars as possible. I think people being crappy drivers is probably the best deterrent.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:02 AM

i work off a busy intersection and ill pull up no doors and all and just take my valuable into work with me, i guess since its pizza and drivers r aways going in and out i dont worry about it but after what mark said, gosh....... winch cable on a busy street? thats crazy, but i guess doable, prob your best bet is a kill swicth under the hood , the theif can look around the cab for a min before he starts to worry, it takes a real gutsy one to pop the hood and have a look see.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Yep.... they got me, Josh.... was a VERY sad day for me! Getting it back was great... but also bittersweet! STRIPPED half way, ya know? BASTAGES! lol
Old 07-29-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My grandma had a soft top jeep and she was always worried about people stealing things. She told me that she would take a piece of scotch tape and put it on the item and write 50 or 75 cents on it so people would think it was from a yard sale. I always got a kick out of that.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an ignition kill switch that lets it turn over but not start. Also one of the new clubs thats "unsawable" and my friends laugh at me because they think nobody wants my rig.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 PM

Locked my keys in my 89 runner a couple weeks ago. I was surprised how hard of a time the locksmith had. I can use any key in my ignition, doors seem pretty secure though.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I haven't done this yet but am thinking of welding part of a chain link to my front t/c lever (red line)
Name:  t-clockidea.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  138.6 KB
Another thing to slow them down
Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
mine was broken into last night....

and stolen a few years back

Quick Reply: What makes 1st/2ndGen trucks easy prey for thieves?