General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Toyota Axle Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Axle Help

Hey guys, I have a set of Toyota 8 inch straight axles in my 1968 Jeep CJ5. The Jeep drove great with these axles until last week, I went out wheeling and at one point I tilted the Jeep all the way back onto the rear bumper and then it came back down hard on the front axle.

On the way home I had my tires still aired down and I noticed a slight wobble in the front end on the drivers side around 50 mph but when I took my foot off the gas it went away. Then I got home and aired up the tires to proper pressure and now the front is wobbiling all the time except in first gear.

I have checked the spring perch bolts and all were tight. All the steering linkage is tight. I am thinking that maybe when I slammed the front axle I broke something inside the axle. I noticed that the drivers side knuckle ball had an excessive amount of oil on it, to the point where it was dripping onto the ground. What do you think is wrong? I was thinking about installing a trail gear knuckle service kit...would this fix the problem? Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:30 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Bent rim? Bent driveshaft? Bent linkages? Tires out of balance? Busted u joints?

Could be lots of things causing and contributing to your wobble.

Gear oil on the knuckle ball is leaky axle seals but doing a full knuckle service while you are in there will be good proactive maintenance.

:wabbit2:
Old 06-21-2011, 04:33 AM

yesterday I took both driveshafts into the shop and had them check them and instal new u joints...so I know its not the driveshafts or joints. I think Ill try swapping the front and rear tires and see if that makes a difference. Any other ideas?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:13 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Steel rims? How low aired down? You might have bent a rim internally from the drop.

I doubt you busted anything internally that would cause tire wobble. There would be weeping and gnashing of teeth if internal issues.

:wabbit2:
Old 06-21-2011, 05:35 AM

ya im running steel rims with 35X12.5 tires. They were aired down to 10 lbs.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:40 AM

i bet its a bent rim too. by the way good looks on running toy axles under a jeep, gives me the warm fuzzies inside.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:02 AM

well you guys nailed it...just came back inside from switching the front and rear tires. Took it for a drive and the front wobble is gone....at slow speeds i can now feel it in the rear. Looks like new wheels are in order!

The previous owner actually put the toy axles under the jeep, but it makes sense to me. Stronger than what came stock on a 68 cj5 plus its got factory 4.10's and a marlin crawler T-case so its a beast. Cheap, strong, and plenty of parts....whats not to like? Although when I go wheelin some of the die hard jeepers give me dirty looks, LOL
Old 06-21-2011, 08:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by M1A1TankerTom
well you guys nailed it...just came back inside from switching the front and rear tires. Took it for a drive and the front wobble is gone....at slow speeds i can now feel it in the rear. Looks like new wheels are in order!

The previous owner actually put the toy axles under the jeep, but it makes sense to me. Stronger than what came stock on a 68 cj5 plus its got factory 4.10's and a marlin crawler T-case so its a beast. Cheap, strong, and plenty of parts....whats not to like? Although when I go wheelin some of the die hard jeepers give me dirty looks, LOL
They're just jealous