General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Theft Recovery Ideas/ Anti-Theft ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you have a stick, reverse the polarity on your clutch sensor switch so it wont start if the clutch is pushed in, then just put it in neutral before starting it.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At this point, I just have an "AutoLock" that locks the clutch pedal up. And makes it difficult to enter the drivers side of the cab. Cutting it would take enough time and make enough noise to draw attention too.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by kayakken
my 89 has a blinkin LED no alarm just a blinking led when the ign is off

they havent messed with it since
before that someone busted the window to get the pos cd player
I would opened the door for them to save my window

just my $0.02 worth

ken
I like the blinking led idear, how did you do this.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by grant526
At this point, I just have an "AutoLock" that locks the clutch pedal up. And makes it difficult to enter the drivers side of the cab. Cutting it would take enough time and make enough noise to draw attention too.
Thats interesting. Only thing is you could start it in gear and then shift without the clutch, so stealing it is still possible. Unlikely, but possible.

Fuel pump cut sounds like the ticket to me. Unless you're like me and have a mechanical one.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:02 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ignition cut off is the best My trail rig is getting a straight battery cut off period, no need to worry about anything else..
Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 PM

i think if an alarm doesn't help, ur kill switches too will not. theives these days are advancing, if ur truck is worth it, they'll win it one or another way or perhap tow it. just pray, hope, n wish that u'r not next.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by gonedotcom13
i think if an alarm doesn't help, ur kill switches too will not. theives these days are advancing, if ur truck is worth it, they'll win it one or another way or perhap tow it. just pray, hope, n wish that u'r not next.
^^ I do agree with you on the fact that if anyone really wants your truck or anything in it, as long as they are smart/determined enough, they'll get it one way or another, I know from experience that you don't even have to open a door to a vehicle to get it up on a proper tow-truck, you can leave it in gear (or park) with the e-brake on and the winch will still drag it right up there

Myself being a on again/off again (one time not by choice) motorcycle owner, I know personally that there is only so much that you can do to protect your belongings, but that doesn't mean that I (or anyone else for that matter) should just give up and not try to do anything to stop our belongings from getting stolen

The point of this thread was more to discuss ways of deturring (sp?) thieves, like making it harder for them to just start it up and drive off, earlier toyota's are notorious for having worn out lock/ignition cylinders, and just about any key will work with them

But just because my toyota is incredibly easy to steal doesn't mean that I am just going leave it unlocked with the keys in it, if you are willing to take the precaution of locking it up everytime that you leave, why not spend a little more time and make it that much harder for them to steal it?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 AM

you cannot stop theves, you can only slow them down. kill switches....well prevent the completion of a circuit. you can ten, hidden very well but wont do when your rig is towed away. i have seen trucks pulled out of driveways faster than starting them with a key!!!!
the removable steering wheel is a good start. also, a simple well concealed kill switch is all that needed to prevent ingnition. couple that with a paging system so u can be alerted of intrusion and your a step up. but still not enough to truly be theftproof......rig must be hard to tow or flatbed away. watch the repo-man, and see how fast and quietly they steal vehicles back.
for towing: a very loud alarm that is triggered when the front or rear of vehicle is lifted past a certain point.
2. in your driveway, drill into the pavement and install some recessed hoops and chains and loop around an axle.
your just slowing down a would be thief and the pros are really good.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CJM
Sure that works but is $$$, all ya gotta do is buy 10 bucks of wire and a switch and spend some time and your good to go.
ya, isn't your rig worth spending more money on protection? it cost me nearly $600cdn for my full security system. and i wont ever use anything else. with a 3000 foot signal strength. i wouldn't trust any other system. and its well worth it.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:08 AM

the head phone jack on the fuel pump works great . I have found my truck a couple of blocks down the road . now if my truck is not in my driveway in the morning i call my bud down the road to see if its there,usually is (three times)
Old 02-08-2008, 06:58 PM

I like my kill switch It is a 1911A1 in .45ACP. It's back up is Styer M-9.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:52 PM
CJM

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
ya, isn't your rig worth spending more money on protection? it cost me nearly $600cdn for my full security system. and i wont ever use anything else. with a 3000 foot signal strength. i wouldn't trust any other system. and its well worth it.
I suppose, but the simplest systems are usually the best. When your battery dies it can trigger your system and may not deactivate it properly if you get a jump-I see it every single day on the job.

Simple works b/c there is nothing to mess with, disable the fuel, and the ability to start and they cannot go anywhere unless they drag it up a flatbed or use a hidden grabber on a truck. Almost always you will hear the trucks if your nearby, they are LOUD diesel trucks.. You will hear the tires scrape the pavement when they snatch it and you will hear them hooking it up.

Most thieves dont steal this way, repomen do. I repoed a bit back in the day, more often than not we tried to nab it while the owner wasnt around, in a parking lot, at thier job, at thier home when they werent there, etc. This avoided anyone seeing us and hearing us besides bystanders who didnt care much.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

I was thinking, the guy i work with had his CJ5 stolen when he was younger.

It was a trail rig and he had parked it to walk back on the trail and help out some friends. Somebody jumped in and popped it out of gear and winched it onto a trailer and drove off with it.

So what could you to to try and prevent somthing like this (not much i know) Maybe a driveline lock that will stop your driveline from turning (i assume a winch would have no trouble dragging a truck).
Old 02-08-2008, 08:45 PM

i think its an awsome idea...
Old 02-08-2008, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
what about a kill switch where if the wheels make a full rotation without the switch being turned the door get child locks all turned on and the seats go all the way forward, maybe even a little c4 under the drivers seat
Old 02-08-2008, 08:49 PM

head phone jack? whats that?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

i think the best way to protect your vehicles is to keep 2 or 3 BIG dogs locked in your car at all times

Theves don't steal trucks with dogs in the back
Old 02-11-2008, 11:31 PM

an effective way to protect your vehicle while you and it are at home is put a motion detector flood light and a motion detector that triggers an alarm inside the house.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:11 AM

Ya, I like the Motion detector at home. But that doesn't do much good when your out, where most vehicles seem to be stolen.

Everyone keeps mentioning the fuel pump cut off switch. That sounds good, but a good theif would know to by-pass that. And for those of us with mechanical fuel pumps, I'm thinking about either a mechanical or preferably an electronic solenoid on the fuel line that stops the flow, so no fuel goes to the engine, regardless of what kind of fuel pump you have. This can be accomplished with the headphone jack or any other type of "hidden switch."
Old 02-12-2008, 11:56 AM

to be honest with you...if they want your truck...they will get it...only thing you can do is slow them down...but that Headphones jack is an intresting one..could you shed some light on it, I think I would deff try it, you could relocate your ebrake...or your hood poper...thats what ive always done on my cars

Quick Reply: Theft Recovery Ideas/ Anti-Theft ideas