General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Theft Recovery Ideas/ Anti-Theft ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:18 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
you need a Compustar alarm system. best security ever! it warns the remote if something is going on with your truck. i have it. if people jack one side of your truck up. it sets the alarm off! it has a level sensor. and then just get an engine immobilizer as well and then if someone stole your rig,and you alarm tells you, just hit the immobilize remote and call the pigs in blue. you dont need a kill switch unless you dont follow the above suggestion.
back in the early 90's, Toyota put engine immobilizers in their Hilux surfs STOCK! but only in certain parts of the world, i guess Austrailia was one place, and i think the UK. but im not sure where.
Sure that works but is $$$, all ya gotta do is buy 10 bucks of wire and a switch and spend some time and your good to go.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stormin94
I'd rather have one of these instead........

http://youtube.com/watch?v=geynA-JYDHE
That is so funnnnyyyy......
Old 01-11-2008, 05:37 PM

1. couldn't you just put a switch and a fuse somewhere in the starter circuit, and set it up to blow the fuse if the starter is tripped without flipping the switch first,

2. or you could put a (hidden) switch in the starter circuit, but put a big ricer "push to start" button by the ignition, they are going to try and start it first, it wont, then they push the stupid ricer button and it blows a fuse, no more starty-starty even if they find the switch, then they still have to find the blown fuse, which they wont even know is blown,

3. put a fake kill switch (in plain sight) that will blow a fuse just like before, in the starter circuit, and have the actual kill switch hidden just a little better,

that's about all I can think of for now, there are endless combinations of these switches/fuses
Old 01-11-2008, 05:54 PM

The fuse idea is a good one but I think you'd find yourself replacing fuses quite often, everytime 'you' forget to hit the switch before starting =p

so far ive been guilty of trying to turn my rig over before remembering the switch (usually in the AM heh).
Old 01-11-2008, 05:57 PM

I got a keyed 12 volt cut off swith, all you do is turn the key and it cuts 12 volt to everything, works too. I had this guy telling me he ran a wire from his coil and stripped the end and faned the wires out and put it under the seat cover, So the theif would get the $h!7 shocked out of his @55. lol, not a bad idea.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 PM

I don't lock my truck in the day because my pitbull will take car of bizness if they open the door and at night I would like to see them get past my 12g shot gun with deer slugs. I know this works because somebuty tryed and I opened fire on them and their car they will never come back.

Last edited by Jay1; 01-11-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:38 PM

so if you use a 12 volt swith and just break the circuit on your ign. and fuel systems then your golden as long as they are hidden well enough rite?
Old 01-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

did anybody say antitheft?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LJDTRpVU04M
Old 01-11-2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by L33T35T 4Runner
did anybody say antitheft?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LJDTRpVU04M
^^^ the funny (actually not funny) part is that thing probably would attract more attention then any sound that any alarm currently makes
Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by drew303
The fuse idea is a good one but I think you'd find yourself replacing fuses quite often, everytime 'you' forget to hit the switch before starting =p

so far ive been guilty of trying to turn my rig over before remembering the switch (usually in the AM heh).
that's true, but if you do my second suggestion, the only time the fuse will be tripped is if they push the "start" button, but there is the off chance that they would find the "kill switch" first and just start it that way

but, then again, if someone really wants your rig, they'll take it one way or another
Old 01-12-2008, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by 1990Runner
so if you use a 12 volt swith and just break the circuit on your ign. and fuel systems then your golden as long as they are hidden well enough rite?
Yeah, ive got a keyed switch that runs inline on the main 12 volt from the battery it shuts all power down to the whole truck, not starting without the keay and key for the ignition.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:41 AM

One way of doing it is having 3 switches. One on the ignition, one on the fuel pump, and one of the ignitor. But instead of just a single pole switch you get multiple pole switches so there are multiple stages of each switch with only one being the correct solution. you create a type of code that only you know, the correct setting for all the switches.

there you go.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I just saw some punk kids walk by my truck, and look in the windows. It got me thinking about my truck getting stolen. If they found my kill switch, and started the truck they would be pretty much home free to get it to a safe spot and strip it before I even found out it was missing.

My idea:

Install a kill switch on all lights. That way they would get pulled over for no headlights if dark out, no brake lights, no turn signals, etc. Hopefully this could lead to a vehicles recovery.

What do you guys think?
My truck was stolen Last year. Since then I've been thinking about a Kill Switch on the Starter relay wire. And not just a toggle, but a battery type switch that the "key" comes out of when the switch is off. I just haven't figured out the most convenient place to locate it.

Years ago, a buddy of mine had an old VW Beetle, that you had to have the ash tray pulled open at least partway before you could start it. Kind of like the Headphone plug idea.
I've also heard of someone having a switch block on the under side of the dash with 5 or 6 toggle switches wired in series on the Starter relay wire. That way they all had to be in the correct positions before it could be started. Once started it didn't matter.

Talking about putting Kill switches on your lights systems, my truck was stolen at 4 in the afternoon from a crowded mall parking lot and didn't travel more than 2 miles before it was recovered the next day in a neighborhood. So that's a thought, believe it's also illegal to have any kind of switching on your running lights and especially your brake lights.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:15 PM

Try hidi

Last edited by Hawk THor; 03-14-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:23 PM

I want to wire one of these up to my alarm! And maybe leave some cash and CD's on the seat to encourage the scum to try and take it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oDRme0HeXq4
Old 01-21-2008, 03:43 PM

for a long time my only security system in my old chev van was a battery powered blinking led light that i glued on my dash (my first mod ever j/k) does anyone remember seeing at pepboys a few years back a version of teh club that had a tazer built in? i remember seeing a display and wanting to touch it so bad. i wonder if those are still around

wow this is actually a great idea but has to be torture on the ps system
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSbjgXbDUzo&NR=1

Last edited by to4menon4u; 01-21-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:52 PM

here we go i found it i wanna buy one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=470Qs...eature=related
Old 01-21-2008, 04:10 PM

A friend of mine wired his ignition so that you had to hold in the cigarette lighter in while you turned the key. It was pretty cool because the lighter still worked.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
all of you guys that own a manual truck/4 runner seem to forget that even with an IGN kill switch, the truck can still be pop-started.

fuel pump kill switch for the win.

also, the whole "series of switches" thing is a bad idea. cut the wire going in, and going out, connect them, and bam, you just started the truck. not difficult.

kill the fuel pump, and hide your switch and wires well, incorporate the wires into factory harnesses, and nobody will find them.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by shaeff
all of you guys that own a manual truck/4 runner seem to forget that even with an IGN kill switch, the truck can still be pop-started.

fuel pump kill switch for the win.

also, the whole "series of switches" thing is a bad idea. cut the wire going in, and going out, connect them, and bam, you just started the truck. not difficult.

kill the fuel pump, and hide your switch and wires well, incorporate the wires into factory harnesses, and nobody will find them.
^^^ I think that you meant to say "starter kill switch" in that first part, because if they can get the ignition turned to "on" but the stater wont turn, then they can just push start it

but if you have a "kill switch" for the ignition, so it can't turn "on" then you still wouldn't be able to push start it because your coil (and I believe the fuel pump) wont have any power to them, without spark (or fuel) it won't start even if you try to push it

Like I said, I am not 100% sure about the fuel pump and when it actually has power to it, I know that it's got power when the engine is running, but I'm not sure if it has to actually be "running" or "starting", but I am pretty sure that the fuel pump isn't going to be "on" if the ignition is "off" (normally or because of a kill-dswitch)

Quick Reply: Theft Recovery Ideas/ Anti-Theft ideas