General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

The Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Supercharger

Okay. So I've been looking around for a place that has all of the information that I wanted and couldn't find it. So I have tried to compile all of the information about the superchargers available for the Toyota trucks and the FJ Cruiser.

Each of these tests are from all over the web. Maybe not the most reliable but they have been taken only by people who have done multiple Dyno tests. Of course the atmosphere and the ECU calculations need to be taken into effect, as the horsepower that is indicated will of course be off depending on the time of day and the elevation of where you are located. But they are around the ball park.

Each of these tests take into account the rough 20% loss of power through the drivetrain, so each RWHP is as accurate as I can tell. This is with power steering, belt driven water pumps and the whole thing. These are tests that you can count on being close to if you ever decide to supercharge your truck. I will admit though, that in my search for all of these results, not all of the vehicles were stock. The 5VZ-FE is from a guy that was building a project called "Operation Sport Runner". With both dyno tests, he had Doug Thorley Headers, and a high flow exhaust. I'm sure anyone that is going to supercharge their truck, they have already done similar things. So I wasn't too worried about the actual RWHP output. It's not too far from bone stock results.

Now, you may ask why I chose to do this. The answer is pretty simple. To satisfy lookers with numbers that they are after and don't ask questions, and to provide answers to those who may or are going to s/c their rig. Unfortunately, I had to sell my truck. As I was no longer able to afford mods or anything it had to go. So to satisfy my need for tinkering and such, I've decided to learn as much as I can about s/c's and present them in one nice complete package. You can comment or correct me below, and I will do my best to come back and edit, and maybe even add information that I have missed. Because since I'm still a little new at this. But hey, at least I'm taking a proactive approach to becoming a non-noob.

The two big differences between TRD and URD is that TRD is in house. URD is a company that just takes trucks and modifies s/c's to fit the engine. And it shows by how much they cost.
URD 2.7---------($4500)
TRD 3.4---------($3500)
URD 4.0---------($6500)
TRD 4.0----------($3500)
TRD 57-----------($4000)

As you can see URD is much more expensive. That's because they are a third party supplier that is not anywhere near as big as Toyota Racing Development. The only thing that URD has over Toyota is the type of supercharger that is used. TRD uses an Eaton's Roots type supercharger. This in turn keeps the size of it small. And the power gain is not as much as it could be. Although noticeable and a good way to upgrade your engine, there is more to be desired if you go with the URD s/c. Underdog Racing Development uses the Rotrex style s/c, or Centrifugal to some. URD claims that is it the most advanced style on the market. The Rotrex C38-81 is used in the 4.0 kit. One hell of a s/c, it puts out way more RWHP than a stock 5.7. URD even offers more, the C38-91 s/c. But this Rotrex puts so much boost and strain on the engine, that it can't be put on a stock 1GR-FE. URD says that you need a race built motor for it to even handle the power, not to mention the wear and tear this is going to have on your drivetrain. Also, URD uses much larger fuel injectors, and a bigger fuel pump. The entire system is designed for maximum output, where the TRD is built with reliability in mind. URD even sells pulleys for the 3.4 TRD supercharger, which can increase boost by almost 3-4psi. Obviously I can't tell you how dangerous this is making a s/c put out more boost than it was designed for but hey, what am I to tell you what to do with your money? I'm just here to lay down some facts.

The other big difference, is that URD is offered in stages, but that's where the performance shows. In the first stage, factory exhaust and headers are used. Along with a smaller pulley. Then you can pay another $1200 for the stage two (which by the way is only available for the 4.0) which gives you a larger pulley, headers, and a high flow cat-back exhaust built by URD, and another ECU reflash. Maybe even an A/C delete. But you could also as a race only vehicle install an electric water pump, but beware, (but I may be wrong) a daily driver with an electric water pump may be prone to overheating. It will net you an extra 10-20 HP, but it's expensive.

And that about ends my knowledge on this topic. Thanks.

Toyota Truck And FJ Cruiser Dyno Tests For TRD And URD Superchargers

TRD-Toyota Racing Development
URD-Underdog Racing Development

2.7 Inline-Four (2TR-FE)
159 Acclaimed HP
117 Dyno RWHP
248 Dyno RWHP (After URD Supercharger Install)

3.4 V-6 (5VZ-FE)
190 Acclaimed HP
144 Dyno RWHP
240 Dyno RWHP with TRD Supercharger Install

4.0 V-6 (1GR-FE)
236 Acclaimed HP
191 Dyno RWHP
304 Acclaimed HP with TRD Supercharger Install
260 Dyno RWHP with TRD Supercharger Install
325 Dyno with URD Supercharger Install (STAGE I)
369 Dyno with URD Supercharger Install (STAGE II)

5.7 V-8 (3UR-FE)
381 Acclaimed HP
504 Acclaimed HP with TRD Supercharger Install
293 Dyno RWHP
441 Dyno RWHP with TRD Supercharger Install
Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 PM

Really cool! This should be a sticky...
Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 AM

Haha, thanks. It's just I figured there needed to be one place with all of this information instead of hunting around for it all. Granted it takes only a few minutes to find an answer, this is real stats. Taken from regular people, and third parties. Like some of the dyno tests i took from were by K & N.