General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

o2 senor..which one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o2 senor..which one?

hey guys/gals, looking to replace the o2 sensor in the 99 runner 3.4 4wd. should i buy oem or go with something like bosch from autozone or something universal?
if you guys have gone with universal (around 60 bucks ) getting good mileage out of it?
i dont mind spending the money but if i dont have to then even better!

shaun
Old 02-21-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to all that is URD... Featuring, among many other things, the best prices on O2 sensors around:
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p...s_id=430006000

And you should ONLY be running Densos. This is one place that the OEM parts choice _does_ make a difference.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:06 PM

I have a additional question concerning O2 sensors. My son owns a 97 4 runner 6 cylinder, 2WD and he has been having problems with the engine check light coming on. He took it to a Mechanic last October and he said it popped the 133 or 135 code not sure which. So they replaced the O2 sensor Bank1 sensor 1. I verified that was the one they changed. He has since had the same code pop. I pulled the sensor and cleaned it with electronic cleaner but that didnt help the light usually comes on after about 15 min of driving. What else could be causing the code to pop. I wouldnt think the sensor would go bad in less than six months. We did change the plugs and i cleaned the MAF and reinstalled. I have read a few posts about not using Bosch, do you know why Bosch has problems? How can i check to make sure the O2 sensor is working properly? My son mentioned that he had read on this site about some one having a problems with an O2 sensor, but that it turned out to be a fuel regulator. Could this be a cause and if so how would we check it? He has installed a KN air intake to replace the factory air cleaner. Any advice would certainly be helpful.
Jdizzydub's Dad
Old 03-09-2006, 01:02 PM

Just hope it's not an A/FR sensor. I'm having the same problem and it's the A/FR sensor. Almost cost 2x as much as the regular O2 sensor.

If the old one has a part # that start with 89467-?????, then it's probably a "air/fuel ratio sensor." Regular O2 sensors start with the part #'s 89465-?????.

If it is the A/FR sensor, I don't think you have a choice but to get an OEM from the dealer.

Wouldn't be surprised if the mechanic installed the wrong type of sensor. Mine ran like crap each time a non A/FR sensor was installed.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:06 PM

The first thing will be to verify the code... any AutoZone or Shucks will do it for free. Once you get it, post it back up and we'll start babbling at ya'.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 99runner4me
If the old one has a part #...
97 3.4L 2WD will take a Denso 234-4162, which is an O2 sensor. The A/FR's in front showed up in 1999.

$89 from URD:
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p...s_id=430006000

And yes... Bosch's have had a weird "bad result rate" though I've never seen "why" in print. In all the cases I know about, moving to an OEM (Denso) sensor fixed the problem.

Last edited by midiwall; 03-09-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:40 PM

O2 sensor

The code that popped originally was 133, that is when they changed the O2 sensor. I dont know what brand sensor they used, I just know he charged him $144.00 to change what takes 5 minutes and that wasnt the cost of the part included. Any way now it is popping a code of 135 which still calls out the bank 1 / sensor 1. After resetting the fault it usually stays out for any where from 15 min to a hour of driving time.
From what I read the A/FR sensor wasnt installed until 99, is this correct? In my previous post I also forgot to mention we cleaned the throttle body but dont think that would of caused it to pop a code.
My son said that before it seemed like the truck didnt have any power and he heard a loud pop from below which is approximate area for the sensor.
He said since we replaced the plugs and cleaned the throttle body and Maf it has been running great with the exception of the light coming on.
I just would hate to see him get jacked around again for something he might be able to correct. Awaiting your reply
Old 03-09-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jdizzydub
The code that popped originally was 133, that is when they changed the O2 sensor. I dont know what brand sensor they used, I just know he charged him $144.00 to change what takes 5 minutes and that wasnt the cost of the part included. Any way now it is popping a code of 135 which still calls out the bank 1 / sensor 1.
Right, but P0135 talks about a problem with the heater in the sensor. P0133 talks about a slow responding sensor.

(btw: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128/obdii-trouble-codes-76363/)

Ummm, it's "possible" that the P0133 was from a clogged/aged sensor and it should have been replaced (which did happen). If I had to guess, the P0135 is coming from one of three things, a) the sensor they put in is hosed (possible); or b) the sensor they put in isn't a 4 wire (and thus doesn't have a heater circuit); or c) they didn't wire up the new sensor correctly.

I vote for "b". This is one reason why it's REALLY important to use OEM (Denso) sensors. I'd bet that they didn't.

After resetting the fault it usually stays out for any where from 15 min to a hour of driving time.
That sounds in line with a heater issue.

From what I read the A/FR sensor wasnt installed until 99, is this correct?
Yeup, and I mentioned that point in my previous point.

You have an O2 sensor in the truck, not an A/FR sensor. $90 from URD USA.

In my previous post I also forgot to mention we cleaned the throttle body but dont think that would of caused it to pop a code.
Nope, not unless you didn't put back on a vacuum line or have a leak where the intake tube wraps around the TB or MAF.

My son said that before it seemed like the truck didnt have any power and he heard a loud pop from below which is approximate area for the sensor.
The "pop" is a bit scary... Umm, the sensor's still in the pipe, right (i.e., it didn't blow out)? and it's not overly loud (as in "exhaust leak")?

I just would hate to see him get jacked around again for something he might be able to correct. Awaiting your reply
Are both you and your son up in Everett? I'm fairly close to you guys... Maybe we can work something out to get together on Sunday?

If nothing else, we can look at what the previous guys did, and then I don't have a problem swapping my O2 sensor in there to see if that cures the symptom. I MAY have an old one around somewhere as well. I used to carry it as a spare but I think it got cycled out of the back of the truck and is buried in the garage.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:20 PM

Mark;
My son lives in Everett, off evergreen away around 110th. The sensor that was put in is a four wire and it came with a connector so they didnt have to splice it in. Since they replaced it I have taken it out and cleaned it and put it back in so i know it is tight. I dont know what type it is as far as bosech or denso. If you wish you can e-mail him at jdizzydub@hotmail.com He is working two jobs and i live on Whidbey Island and will be out of country for two weeks (someplace called Afghanistan) If you can think of anything else to try, he was going to replace the O2 sensor the other day and i did notice it was a boesch but we elected not to change it as I wanted to see if what we did would fix the problem. When i did take the sensor out it was black, which i attribute to being in the exhaust system. the contact cleaner cleaned it up so i reinstalled it.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:38 AM

Cool... I dropped him an email. Hopefully we can work out getting together and I can help.