General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Need info on SplitSecond ESC1 experiences

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 05:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
Hmmm, lemme check that calendar...
ordered 8/10, got it 8/12, started this thread on 8/16. Back & forth with Gadget online at CT on 8/17, returned to URD on 8/21, they got it 8/23. Dropped off to SplitSecond on 8/24. No communication until I wrote looking for status on 9/1, got status on 9/5.
Calendar update...

I heard from Brian late last night.. Unit was broken and stuck in "fake the ECU mode". I asked him to send up a new one.

Pressure sensor, opamp, trimmer pot, a couple of trannys. $30 in parts. sigh...
Old 09-08-2006, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Personally I like the concept of "hey you're in boost, I'm gonna mess with the ECU" concept. i.e., having control at 1psi, but it'll me more work to tune.
I feel like the power is acceptable in closed loop for what I'm looking for, but once I hit about 50% throttle, or about 3-4psi of boost, I want the power to start ramping up more linearly. Right now it's good power in closed loop, and then you suddenly get into open loop and it's like "oh sweet jebus I'm passing everything on wheels..." A little more smoothing in that change would be nice.

In closed loop? Oh most definitely. That's the nature of the beast in terms of how the ECU works.
Ok cool, just making sure I don't have a problem. I think I will mess around with the XD-16 display some to adjust the refresh rate (maybe make it take an average value over half a second or so) and perhaps change the led colors on the perimeter of the gauge (Thanks URD for giving me the upgrade to this WB setup, it's awesome!) I'm feeling more like a ricer by the moment! :pat: :pig: :chicken:

Calendar update...

I heard from Brian late last night.. Unit was broken and stuck in "fake the ECU mode". I asked him to send up a new one.

It's official, the multi-quote function works! Pretty sweet! I didn't really have anything to say to this but I had to try out the multiple quote function. And Mark: you should make your own simple "ESC's" and sell them for about $100-$150. Nothing wrong with a little healthy competition
Old 09-08-2006, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Calendar update...

Hummm, broken huh. $30 parts for $200 and $30 shipping, sounds about right for the web shopper blues. Any chance they test these BEFORE they ship them out? Had you added a serial cable openning to your's Mark?
Old 09-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Hummm, broken huh. $30 parts for $200 and $30 shipping, sounds about right for the web shopper blues. Any chance they test these BEFORE they ship them out? Had you added a serial cable openning to your's Mark?
There's no serial cable attachment on it, since it isn't programmable. Yours is all fancy Dale because its the URD AFR Calibrator, for WB sensors on 99+ trucks...

Last edited by mastacox; 09-08-2006 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:17 AM

Hummm, broken huh. $30 parts for $200 and $30 shipping, sounds about right for the web shopper blues. Any chance they test these BEFORE they ship them out?
heh... who knows.

And yeah, like Brian (this Brian, not URD) said, there's nothing adjustable in this box. It's "potted" - that's where the innards are dipped in a black epoxy so that you can't even see anything.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

heh... who knows.

And yeah, like Brian (this Brian, not URD) said, there's nothing adjustable in this box. It's "potted" - that's where the innards are dipped in a black epoxy so that you can't even see anything.

Yeah mine was potted too, but it still had a serial port inside:
Old 09-08-2006, 10:33 AM

Interesting! But yeah, the ESC1 isn't meant to be adjusted - it's said that the kick-in point can be adjusted, but no sign of a pot. Well, actually, there's a sticker on the bottom that says "don't remove this otherwise Guido will come for a visit" so there's probably a something behind it. Didn't feel like there was though.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:54 PM

Update...

I got a new ESC1 (shipped straight from SplitSecond) on 9/13, I had a chance to install it this past Sunday, and I just wrote this email to URD:
Guys;

So, I installed the replacement ESC1 last weekend... it's causing some pretty nasty symptoms.

It "appears to be working" in that when there's any hint of boost it affects how the engine runs. But, the effect is some fairly violent stumbling, to the point of the engine being an inch from stalling. An additional symptom is that the BOOST gauge shows quick "snaps" of pressure changes from 2psi -> 12psi that's in time with the engine sputtering.

The symptoms go away when I back off the gas and I fall out of boost. Disconnecting the feed to the MAP on the ESC1 returns life to "normal".

I've tried adding/subtracting fuel and timing during the boost areas but without any effect. Dropping an A/FR meter on the output of the ESC1 shows the 14.7:1 ratio during boost, so it appears to be faking out the ECU as designed.

Any ideas?

I'll pass on more as I hear more, but right now the ESC1 is an over-priced POS.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

Hummm, that's not good.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Did you see URD has a phone # now? 877-887-3872
Old 09-26-2006, 07:36 PM

Did you see URD has a phone # now? 877-887-3872
Yeah... I also have Brian's cell phone number and contact onto the east coast as well. I could also call SplitSecond and bypass the reseller.

URD's site says email's preferred and I don't like using "extreme resources" that I may have. I'd much rather just sit, play by the rules and let this sore fester for a bit.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

How's it festering...ur...uh going there Mark?
Old 10-01-2006, 02:09 PM

Today was the first time I had to be able to get back into the box... I just sent this off to Gadget:
Hey man...

Well, things are better. I moved to the other side of the ESC1 (electrically) and things smoothed out, so it looks like the primary side of the box is toast.

I've driven about 200 miles with the box enabled today and am doing seat-of-the-pants tuning. It's definitely working in that it seems to keep the ECU out of the way and allow me to run as lean/rich as I want.

I should be able to dial things in better as the week goes on, but the key thing is that I'm able to run without the nasty pulsing that was happening.

Thanks for the support.

Mark
For the sake of clarity, and folks looking over our shoulder, the reference to "the other side of the ESC1" pertains to the ESC1 being a two-channel box so it will support faking out two O2 sensors. Both channels are identical in that they force the indication of a 14.7:1 A/FR under boost.

It appears that one channel of my box is flakey, so I moved to the other channel and things got better. I'm finding that I have to add a LOT of fuel (in terms of cranking up the numbers in the SMT map) but that makes sense due to the ECU technically being out of the picture.

At this point I'd have to say that the box works as advertised, but it appears that SplitSecond has some quality control issues. I still don't like the cost of the box considering what I believe it to be, but I guess that's the price you pay for vertical market low-volume no-competitor type devices.

Long term results will have to wait, but at this point I can say that I'm able to run as rich or as lean as I want when I'm under boost. I think this will work out okay in a temperate climate (such as around here), but unless you like to constantly re-tune, I wouldn't recommend it for, say, Arizona...
Old 10-02-2006, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

..."the other side of the ESC1" pertains to the ESC1 being a two-channel box so it will support faking out two O2 sensors. Both channels are identical in that they force the indication of a 14.7:1 A/FR under boost...
Well that is still troubling, is he going to send you another unit?

Why would it need to fake out two O2 sensors? Is it made to also support a dual exhaust vehicle or something?
Old 10-02-2006, 05:21 AM

Well that is still troubling, is he going to send you another unit?
I didn't ask him too, and honestly, if it's working then I really don't care to pull it out and try again.

Why would it need to fake out two O2 sensors? Is it made to also support a dual exhaust vehicle or something?
You'd have to delve into Mark's (SplitSecond) mind for that answer. I figure that there must be some vehicles out there that require two sensors to be faked up.

This is the SplitSecond page for the ESC1:

http://splitsec.com/products/esc1/esc1ds.htm
Old 10-02-2006, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

I didn't ask him too, and honestly, if it's working then I really don't care to pull it out and try again.
Yeah I can understand that. :pat:

You'd have to delve into Mark's (SplitSecond) mind for that answer. I figure that there must be some vehicles out there that require two sensors to be faked up.

This is the SplitSecond page for the ESC1:

http://splitsec.com/products/esc1/esc1ds.htm
Must be for ECUs on vehicles with dual exhaust, my BMW has 2 front O2 sensors because of dual exhaust (4 total).
Old 10-02-2006, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Man, you're having a rough time there Mark...

I hope you get things worked out, I want to see more pictures of your 4Runner flying through the air!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:47 AM

Yeah... and I'm retracting anything good I've said about this box. I'm back to hating the POS.

It's VERY VERY flakey in terms of letting me push fuel. Yesterday things were okay and I could push fuel where I wanted to. This morning, I find that I'm back to the boost gauge pulsing at certain spots, no power under load (e.g. a 10% hill) and my A/FR is generally 15.5:1 - VERY lean.

For those familiar with the SMT modules, I have my Fuel Zero Trim set to 4, and I have _15_'s in the cells where I'm under boost. THIS IS A LOT. It's basically the equivalent of running the injectors wide open - I'm running a Walbro with 370cc injectors so I'm dumping a TON of fuel.

I'm thinking two things - 1) the box is whacked; 2) the ECU is still in the loop, the ESC1 hasn't sufficiently faked it out.

I'll look at fuel trims on the way home tonight to see if I can confirm that the ECU is still active.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

If you're dumping a ton of fuel why are you showing lean? Both of these can't be right. Either you're not dumping a ton of fuel or your A/F gauge is wrong.

Last edited by mt_goat; 10-03-2006 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:04 AM

If you're dumping a ton of fuel why are you showing lean? Both of these can't be right. Either you're not dumping a ton of fuel or your A/F gauge is wrong.
I agree, but if I back off on the SMT settings, then I get the classic symptoms of fuel cut which is sputtering and the pulsing of the boost gauge. So maybe the A/FR is hosed, but it tracks correctly at WOT and in general without the box hooked up.

I pulled the vacuum/boost feed to the box last night and the truck runs "normal" (well, "normal" for me!). No sputtering, the power's back on an incline, etc.

"I love my truck", "I love my truck", "I love my truck"

Quick Reply: Need info on SplitSecond ESC1 experiences