General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Mr. Alternator??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Alternator??

Who's got one? Is it worth it??

I have a power draw somewhere (lights dim when windows are rolled down, windows are slow) and I want to upgrade my alternator before I install my taurus electric fan unit.

Anybody have any input??

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by photomike72
Who's got one? Is it worth it??

I have a power draw somewhere (lights dim when windows are rolled down, windows are slow) and I want to upgrade my alternator before I install my taurus electric fan unit.

Anybody have any input??

Thanks,
Mike

Mine is about a year old and not had any problems with it. It bolted in and plugged in just like the OEM one so it was real easy to swap.
Good luck on finding your current draw, those can be entertaining.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:36 AM

Golden,

I'm not sure that it;s a draw, but it seems like the system is pretty loaded most of the time and if you have lights, stereo, windows going all at once, I can tell it's not quite enough power.

Which model did you go with the 120 or 150 I think they have......

Thanks,
Mike

Originally Posted by golden
Mine is about a year old and not had any problems with it. It bolted in and plugged in just like the OEM one so it was real easy to swap.
Good luck on finding your current draw, those can be entertaining.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running a 150amp Mr. A in my truck for about a year I'd guess.

Like Golden, it was a straight drop-in and has been flawless since day one.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by photomike72
Golden,

I'm not sure that it;s a draw, but it seems like the system is pretty loaded most of the time and if you have lights, stereo, windows going all at once, I can tell it's not quite enough power.

Which model did you go with the 120 or 150 I think they have......

Thanks,
Mike
120 sounds familiar, but I don't remember. I'll have to dig through my receipts.

Have you checked the usual suspects, like the alternator belt condition/tension, cleaned the battery posts, had the battery tested, etc.?
Old 09-29-2004, 10:42 AM

I have always wanted a aftermarket alternator, but could never afford one. I hate these stupid 60amp alternators that come stock on 3rd gens. I need at least 120 amps to run my sounds for next years SPL competition
Old 09-29-2004, 10:48 AM

My red top is clen along with posts, and belt is fairly new. It's been something that I've noticed as long as I've had the truck for 3+ years. I thought it would be a good time to upgrade it as I think I would be running a risk hurting something when I do the Taurus electric fan install.

I know that the fan pulls alot of power at startup.

Mike

Originally Posted by golden
120 sounds familiar, but I don't remember. I'll have to dig through my receipts.

Have you checked the usual suspects, like the alternator belt condition/tension, cleaned the battery posts, had the battery tested, etc.?
Old 09-29-2004, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto on what the others have said. Good product, good service. I *think* mine's a 140a or 150a.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:17 PM

Here's a comparison with the stocker:

Old 09-29-2004, 02:16 PM

Mike,

Is it worth it to get the powdercoated? That looks sharp!!

I wasnt planning on it till I saw that!

Mike

Originally Posted by Cebby
Here's a comparison with the stocker:

Old 09-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

1.5 weeks ago I ordered a 150amp alt from Mr. Alternator. They charged my credit card. I've tried emailing them several times for my order status, and I never get anyting back. I'd say be weary for now.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:58 PM

Mr. Alt is on the East Coast. Shipping alone will be at least a week for you.

This isn't a box of fog lights sitting a shelf ready to go. I believe they are all made to order.

As far as the powdercoating - I've just started dabbling in that. Everything gets corrroded here in the salt belt. I can tell you after a year and a half that it looks just like the pic - plus, yellow makes it fast.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:08 PM

Power draw could actually be from a weak/worn ground wire. May need to upgrade anyway with the new alternator. Check the battery ground wire connection/ crimp. A thicker wire is always better.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:13 PM

Is that the wire from the fusebox to the battery??
I plan on doing this mod at the same time:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ght=Alternator

I figured it couldnt hurt.

Mike

Originally Posted by rchavis
Power draw could actually be from a weak/worn ground wire. May need to upgrade anyway with the new alternator. Check the battery ground wire connection/ crimp. A thicker wire is always better.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

My 150 is kick'n strong!
Luckily I had it because my stupid oem battery contact came loose on my red-top and was arching on itself because instead of being a full connection there are two hoops that surround the battery contact. Took care of that at a local audio shop and got a nice big'n. Now it seems that my charging issues are gone, but things still dim when in gear not moving. Anything above idle in gear is fine. Hopefully its just my ground. Seeing as it has been in water it could be time for a new one I'm going to take it to my buddy's audio shop next week and have them fix a fuse problem I have and then rewire the ground.

Gapguy,
Allow a week for it to be made then another week for shipping. It took them a little over a week to do mine if I remember correctly. I picked mine up at the shop in greenville so I didn't have any shipping.

Mike,
It was by far the easiest/quickest time ive been under the hood. On any car for that matter. It took a friend and I (not required, he was just hang'n out) no more than 15min to swap them out.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:49 AM

sweet!

Thanks for the posts guys. I'll hopefully order this next week!!

Mike

Originally Posted by turboale
My 150 is kick'n strong!
Luckily I had it because my stupid oem battery contact came loose on my red-top and was arching on itself because instead of being a full connection there are two hoops that surround the battery contact. Took care of that at a local audio shop and got a nice big'n. Now it seems that my charging issues are gone, but things still dim when in gear not moving. Anything above idle in gear is fine. Hopefully its just my ground. Seeing as it has been in water it could be time for a new one I'm going to take it to my buddy's audio shop next week and have them fix a fuse problem I have and then rewire the ground.

Gapguy,
Allow a week for it to be made then another week for shipping. It took them a little over a week to do mine if I remember correctly. I picked mine up at the shop in greenville so I didn't have any shipping.

Mike,
It was by far the easiest/quickest time ive been under the hood. On any car for that matter. It took a friend and I (not required, he was just hang'n out) no more than 15min to swap them out.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Update: Exactly two weeks later, without any replys to my several email's, I was JUST notified by UPS that it has shipped from PA. That's crap for customer service.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by gapguy
Update: Exactly two weeks later, without any replys to my several email's, I was JUST notified by UPS that it has shipped from PA. That's crap for customer service.
Sometimes you settle for crappy customer service in order to get a bitching product. Hopefully, you'll be happy with the product and future purchasers will know what to expect.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gapguy
When I bought mine, there was always a few days before Tom responded to my emails.

I get the feeling that he's not online a lot (though obviously enough to take the order). If I had to guess, I think he's working pretty straight hours and checks-out of Business Mode once his day is done. So if he's got a lot of work, he won't deal with email. He's got a slower way of looking at life. (I wish I did!)

Looking back through my email, we flipped 4-5 emails in a period of 2 weeks before I placed an order. I ordered on 6/24/03; didn't hear anything, so I wrote again on 7/10. He had issues with getting stators and was expecting to ship on 7/14. I wrote again on 7/22, he had shipped on 7/14, and I got it on 7/25.

Had you tried calling him? I've talked to him a couple of times...

Sorry about the non-comm with him, I think you'll be happy with the product though.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

I'm sure I'll be more than happy with the product. However, I HATE poor customer service. If you run a business, be prepared to communicate. If I buy online, it's because I want the convienience, I DON'T want to HAVE to call. Grr.

Quick Reply: Mr. Alternator??