General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Meguiar's NXT wax rules!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Meguiar's NXT wax rules!

Easy to put on, doesn't cost much, don't need multiple applications.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<-- will be going to advanced auto this weekend.

thanks Jason ... married that girl yet?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

I married my truck a long time ago... Hehe

Sooner than later...
Old 10-25-2005, 10:59 AM

I was wondering how this wax was? I recently tried Mothers as someone else on YT recommended it. I am very pleased with the results of that but I will have to give the NXT a try sometime too...
Old 10-25-2005, 11:08 AM

Did you use the paste or the liquid?

Lookin' good!
Old 10-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Liquid.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i used the liquid...it did a pretty good job
Old 10-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Banned

I used that stuff before I switched over to Shining Monkey. It was good, but nothing like the Zaino I was using before (then again, it didnt cost half as much either). But, overall, putting pricing, availability, application, shine, etc into account, I like Shining Monkey the best.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what polish/glaze do you guys recommend?

my runner is black so i'm looking for a deep wet look
Old 10-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Banned

I like to do

Shining Monkey Polish
Shining Monkey Glaze
Shining Monkey Wax

and when Im bored:

Dawn + 2 Bucket
Shining Monkey Claybar
Shining Monkey Car Wash + 2 Bucket
Shinign Monkey Claybar
Shining Monkey Polish
Shining Monkey Glaze
Shining Monkey Wax
Shining Monkey Wax
Shining Monkey Wax
Shining Monkey Spray Detailer

then my arms fall off because I did it all by hand.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:56 PM

I'm a hobbyist detailer...
NXT looks great! The paste version is a little better than the liquid version, but it really doesn't matter. I use the liquid version. Don't be turned off by the ricey packaging, I have no idea of the appeal there is. NXT is a synthetic polymer, so you can layer it. Just wait 12-24 hours after wiping off the previous coat before you put on a new one; the wax needs to clear.

NXT slightly darkens the color and mutes the metallics. I personally love how it looks on silver.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mason Dixon
what polish/glaze do you guys recommend?

my runner is black so i'm looking for a deep wet look

like he said .. what's a good off the shelf detailer for a black truck?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Georgia4Runner
I'm a hobbyist detailer...
NXT looks great! The paste version is a little better than the liquid version, but it really doesn't matter. I use the liquid version. Don't be turned off by the ricey packaging, I have no idea of the appeal there is. NXT is a synthetic polymer, so you can layer it. Just wait 12-24 hours after wiping off the previous coat before you put on a new one; the wax needs to clear.

NXT slightly darkens the color and mutes the metallics. I personally love how it looks on silver.
I agree 100%...Looks awsome on my Gray as well. I have never seen a wax go on as easy and come off as easy as this stuff does and still shine as well! Could you get a better shine, probably. Would have to work your butt off to get it, yup!

IMO, it doesn't last as long as others but if you take into consideration how easy on and off it is, it's well worth the effort.

Edit: Forgot to mention, This leaves absolutely no white residue or powder anywhere, even in Badges.

Last edited by THUNDER CLOUD; 10-25-2005 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1

I have had really good results with Eagle One Wet "Polish & Wax" on my Black Grand Prix. Only problem with it is that you have to be careful of the white residue. For Black, I have never found anything better tho. Have yet to try the NXT on the Grand Prix's Black.

As far as detailer spray, I'm still using the Eagle One. NXT (Meguire's) has an NXT detailer out now...Haven't tried it yet. Maybe someone else can comment on that.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by sdastg1
First off, I swear by Meguires. Megs is an excellent brand, and is one of the only decent brands that can be bought at the auto parts store at decent prices. Mother's is the other good brand but IMO just isn't as good as Meguires in general.

Here was my Runner the day after I bought it and did a complete detail. Notice that its a 1998 that, while garaged, had never been waxed or anything. This is January 2005. Sorry for the huge pic!

What you need to do first is look for info on washing your truck. You can buy Megs NXT wash or Megs Gold Class. DO NOT USE DAWN! While Dawn will strip off the old wax it is not slick enough to not cause scratches during washing. The clay will take off the old wax, etc. with ease. Now you need to clay your truck to remove surface contaminants. Buy a Clay Magic bar and lube for only $10 at Autozone or wherever, its a hell of a deal and arguably the best clay bar out there. Once you are done with that you are ready to wax.

An excellent wax that can be bought at Autozone, etc. is the Meguires 3-step wax (kinda like rehab for your paint, lol). This wax (I can't remember the exact name of it, but it is three seperate maroon-colored bottles) is specifically geared for darker vehicles. My coworker's black F350 looked unbelieveable after she detailed it. One bottle is glaze, one is polish, and the other is the LSP (Last Step Product). If it were me I would use NXT as a 4th step, being the LSP, because it provides decent protection.

Some useful websites:
Autopia
I love Autopia. Poke around the website, try not to be too overwhelmed. Many of these guys are pros.

Detail City
I don't frequent Detail City as much as Autopia for no good reason. Again, try not to be overwhelmed and do listen to the pros.

Have fun!

Last edited by Georgia4Runner; 10-25-2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by THUNDER CLOUD
I have had really good results with Eagle One Wet "Polish & Wax" on my Black Grand Prix. Only problem with it is that you have to be careful of the white residue. For Black, I have never found anything better tho. Have yet to try the NXT on the Grand Prix's Black.

As far as detailer spray, I'm still using the Eagle One. NXT (Meguire's) has an NXT detailer out now...Haven't tried it yet. Maybe someone else can comment on that.
Stay away from Eagle One waxes and washes. However, their Tire Swipes work well with Megs Endurance Tire Gel. Oh yeah, their Tire & Wheel cleaner (used to be called A2Z) works well, but just be careful as its super strong, leave on for only a minute. For glass, I use Invisible Glass, made by Stoner (lol). It's a kickass window cleaner, safe for tint too. For a Quick Detailer spray, I also use Megs. Their regular one in the maroon bottles is good stuff. I've never used the NXT QD but I'm sure it works well also.

Brands not to buy at the auto store: Eagle One (except Tire Swipes and A2Z), Turtle Wax, Prestone, etc.

Brands to buy: Meguires, Mothers, 3M (sweet waxes) if you can find some. I also use 3M Perfect-It instead of NXT wax as an LSP sometimes. It gives my metallic silver a brighter look with more "POP" to it.

303 Aerospace Protectant is awesome on rubber and plastic stuff like hoses in the engine bay.

Feel free to shoot more opinions!
Old 10-25-2005, 08:47 PM

Forgot to mention:

Ever seen the ugly beige Meguires bottles? Those are the professional series that RULE! I use #7 and #26. Availability is sparse but some Autozones and O'Reillys in my area have carried it. Again, look on Autopia.org.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=Georgia4Runner]Stay away from Eagle One waxes and washes. However, their Tire Swipes work well with Megs Endurance Tire Gel. Oh yeah, their Tire & Wheel cleaner (used to be called A2Z) works well, but just be careful as its super strong, leave on for only a minute.

Please explain...Can you elaborate on why you should stay away from Eagle One waxes and Washes?

I agree the Tire Swipes are so good I wish I invented them!
Old 10-30-2005, 08:10 AM

Can you guys tell me which one you are using, the Tech Wax (link below; on left, 18 oz for $16), or the Spray wax (on right, 24oz for $7). Since there is a huge difference in price per volume, I can't imagine they are the same things in different bottles, but I can't find from the web page, what the difference is.

http://www.meguiars.com/whatsnew/nxt05.cfm

thanks guys
Old 10-30-2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Georgia4Runner
Stay away from Eagle One waxes and washes.
Yeah please explain why we should stay away from Eagle One waxes.

I've been using Eagle One Nano Wax on my Black 4Runner and Black 300ZX. It's one of the few waxes that actually does what it is suppose to do. Takes away most swirls and minor scratches. Brings a nice gloss especially on black cars. I've been using this product for a while and it hasn't let me down. My neighbor paints cars and he's an ol' timer in the business also recommends this product.

Quick Reply: Meguiar's NXT wax rules!