General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

kill switch / anti-theft

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kill switch / anti-theft

firstly, big ups to everyone who posts their help on this page....
it has been an invaluble wealth of information for someone just learning
about toyota's (well, cars in genereal)....

so, i recently bought an '87 4runner, and have moved to a pretty high crime
part of town...
apart from car alarms, what kind of suggestions do people have as far as an anti-theft device.
i was trying to imagine some sort of hidden kill switch....
what i have been doing is just pulling the wire out that connects the ignition coil to the distributor, which is fine, but i guess i wanted to have something with less steps.
anyway, if anyone has any ideas i'd love to hear them....
kind of a silly question, i know

word.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
pistol grip pump! or the kill switch is a good idea.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:40 PM

my truck has a push button start, yea thats right like one of those fancy Italian sports cars, well I dont live in a very high crime area, but I had to go to a macco to get a paint job assessed, and the macco happened to be in a very high crime area, I parked my 88 4runner on the side of the street and forgot to lock the doors, I come back to see some jerk trying to get my car started, I call the police, and wait for him to giveup, Im just freaking laughing my brains out standing on the sidewalk, he becomes very frustrated and eventually leaves.

I'll tell you how this works, when you hook up the push button start you hook up the power for it directly to the battery, When the theif tries to hotwire it, he cant because the original ignition isnt all on. however you want the ignition the be turned partially on, so when you turn the key the dash goes on. saya theif managed to jam a kitchen knife in your original ignition, he turns it once and the the dash goes on, he tries to start the car with the original ignition and everything in the truck dies because the ignition is not hooked up all the way, then again most peole dont use knives because they dont always work, especially with newer cars.

It's great because who would excpect an 88 4runner to have a push button start.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
read this thread

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131...y-idea-124676/

also be sure to search the forum. This has been gone over a bunch of times. Most people hide a switch that connects into the ignition. You flick the switch, depening on how you wire it to kill the coil or maybe all of it.

some do it to the fuel pump if you've got EFI.

I wired mine to just turn over but never fire. It's loud and catches people attention when a car won't start.

It's just you gotta remember to turn he switch off and then turn it on when u wanna start the truck.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:04 PM

damn these are pretty nifty ideas! i would like to do something like this with my truck. just from readin i honestly wouldnt really know how about doin it tho. haha i usally mostly leave my truck unlocked. unless i just dont feel safe about anything. but haha even just for the sake of it. it would be fun as hell. does anybody else have a clutch override push button? haha when i dicovered that in my truck i was amazed with it.. haha lazy start that S.O.B to warm up in tha winter! but something weird with my truck.. with my body lift my starter is fully exposed. ive actually had a buddy pull out my starter wire so i couldnt start it.. i gotta little kick out of it. it didnt take me long to figure out. but even if i just did that.. that would work as a kill switch right?
Old 05-16-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just hooked up a kill switch for a guy that I work with. All you need is one relay. He turns the key on, holds the highbeam lever back (energizing the relay) and turns the key to start the car. This can be wired to almost any momentary neg. or pos. switch in the car.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pull the EFI fuse and take it with you. Crooks look for switches. They don't check fuses.
Install an alarm that plays Luciano Pavorati. Everyone ignores a siren or honking horn.
Get yourself a streetsweeper and sleep in the truck.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Gents, Long Dead thread.... but good stuff.

I have a 94' 22RE with some OEM type of Security system... but the fob is long-gone. I removed the indicator light (It was right next to the 'clutch start cancel' button). Now, I've found that I have the relay box or the 'brain' as I (the layman) call it, is wired to behind my drivers seat.... It seems that when I remove this thing.... the truck will fire up the electronics, but won't start if you twist the key in the lock...

Does the work as a 'kill-switch' of sorts, or does simply removing the box not take enough power / a fundamental enough piece away from the ignition system?

Shot in the dark post.... .GO!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:19 AM

For now just switch the main ignition wire from the coil with one of the cylenders they wont be able to start it and you'll definately hear the truck when it backfires
Old 12-27-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by locked fj80
For now just switch the main ignition wire from the coil with one of the cylinders...
...appreciate the advice, man. be well!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:37 AM

One of the simplest anti-theft systems was simply wiring the neutral safety switch thru the high beam side of the headlight switch so that the engine would not crank unless the headlights were on high beam. This could be done using almost any device that used a relay in the circut.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
http://gizmodo.com/5691724/how-to-tr...e-on-the-cheap

Amazon.com: Vehicle Car GPS Tracker 103B with Remote Control GSM Alarm SD Card Slot Anti-theft: Everything Else Amazon.com: Vehicle Car GPS Tracker 103B with Remote Control GSM Alarm SD Card Slot Anti-theft: Everything Else
Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
http://gizmodo.com/5691724/how-to-tr...e-on-the-cheap

Amazon.com: Vehicle Car GPS Tracker 103B with Remote Control GSM Alarm SD Card Slot Anti-theft: Everything Else Amazon.com: Vehicle Car GPS Tracker 103B with Remote Control GSM Alarm SD Card Slot Anti-theft: Everything Else
Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 AM

All great stuff, but some how-to's would be great. Links, what not. I especially liked the headlight high beam trigger.