General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Help me prove my Aunt wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:51 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Help me prove my Aunt wrong

ok guys here it is. my aunt is telling me to sell my toyota and buy a F*** cuz all newer (90's on) toyota's are ford with different skin. And further more that Ford developed all of Toyota's latest and greatest engines and designs. I happen to think she has lost her mind but i cant prove it. She says that in the 80s toyota was struggling and ford and GM had joint ventures to "SAVE" toyota. while i have found that in 1986 GM and toyota joined up on the Corolla, (she claims so it would "SAVE" toyota,) i have found nothing about ford and toyota joining up. As i have worked on several toyotas and several fords their design is nothing even close to similar... Can anybody help prove me right or ...gulp... wrong?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your aunt has no idea what she is talking about. Tell her to quit smoking what ever she is smoking. No toyota is a reskinned ford, they never have been and never will be.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:07 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Thr..._manufacturers) i found this, which i believe but because its wikipedia she has discredited it.. anybody got some hard evidence from car and driver or auto week
Old 07-06-2012, 07:11 PM

i know that no toyota was ever a reskinned ford. i just cant prove it to her. and yes im not sure whats shes smoking but it must be straight outta cheech and chong
Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You shouldn`t have to prove anything. Have her find the proof and show it to you.
To put it more simply, put up (Show proof) or shut up.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:21 PM

im with ya about proving it. i have shown her stuff but she has only myths, now she claims that toyota engineers went to dearborne michigan to develop their latest truck motors.. that must be some good weed.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Toyota and GM operated the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NUMMI

I think some of the pickups and much of the Tacoma production was located there until it closed about 3 years ago (Telsa took over ownership of the plant after that):
- http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08...-is-built.html
Old 07-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like she has a 'vested' interest in that particular brand. She is making the assertion, its her responsibility to prove it.

My 95.5 Tacoma was built in Fremont (NUMMI plant) and had a radiator in built by a company that also supplied US automakers. Shoot, frames were make by Dana corp, IIRC.

Some have said on another board, the Ford Focus and Toyota Corolla share some parts.....don't know if its fact or fiction. If anything, I'll say Toyota is doing the research/design work and sharing it in some case.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota has more in common with Heeps as Aisin built transmissions for both and have some interchangeable parts, some of the Heep guys actually swap in Toyota transmissions.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 PM

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=125229157 nummi plant. Toyota saves GM not the other way round. This is a great read as why to not have a GM...

shes basically nuts buts its good to know the facts against half-wits who think they know. thanks guys i knew i could count on you all. i did find something that in 2011 ford and toyota are exploring the hybrid world together to share costs... but its a joint venture using Toyota hybrid engines and trannys and the best of what ford has to offer... their sync entertainment system... so we all know who has the best vehicles... i will keep my yota thank you very much. anybody else have some article to help back me up

Last edited by bone collector; 07-06-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe she has Toyota confused with Mazda.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 PM

the thing about ford is that they set the standard for engine controls, but toyota never bases their designs on ford. instead they see what ford does, and improvises the design. as for the 90s trucks, if she were right, then the tacoma and ranger would be identical, but their not! their frames are completely different and engine management isnt even close. the trusses and frame design arent the same either and the materials used to make the frame are slightly different with toyota being the better quality. hope this helps
Old 07-07-2012, 09:03 AM

my Aunt is a confused insane woman. She now claims that the NPR article above is pure propaganda disbursed by toyota!!! i have stated my argument very clearly and have asked her to prove and show me otherwise. The sad thing is she wont do it and think im a misled person for believing in my yotas. She started this argument by telling me to change my facebook profile picture from a yota symbol to a chevy bowtie. I said absolutely not.... and then came the whole delusional saga.... lol thanks for the people who helped me find articles and proof
Old 07-07-2012, 10:16 AM

She knows Toyotas aren't Mazdas right?

It's not worth trying to reason w/ people like that. Just ignore the ignorance.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Thats the current plan... just made me mad that she came after me like that for a picture. shes clueless
Old 07-07-2012, 10:25 AM

Stupid is as stupid does. If she like Ford so much why does she want you to have a bowtie on you Facebook thing? That's really dumb.

By the way, I'm a Honda, Yota and GM fan. Just run what you got and tell everyone one else "FYYFF"!!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:45 AM

F-fix
o-or
r-repair
d-daily

Old 07-07-2012, 10:55 AM

f=fu
o=out
r=real
d=deal

she is nuts and toyota and ford had nothing....
Old 07-07-2012, 11:08 AM

to be honest. the only fords that are good are the SVT. i have a raptor and i love it! never given me a problem. i also got a dodge ram 3500 mega cab and its huge! both great cars! but i must say my yota is a lot easier to repair and work on then the others.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:00 PM

im not really out to bash anybody here, except maybe my aunt. ford and gm both have made good cars and bad ones. Ive had gm and ford cars in the past and they did the job. Ive had 3 yota trucks and loved them, my wife drives a honda, and she loves it. I say all this not to bash another company's product but so say my aunts an idiot for not checking her facts and dismissing the real facts. if you guys could read the whole conversation you would see that she counterdicts herself constantly and when i pointed it out then im clueless. this whole thing has been an interesting study in human bias, political and national motivations as well ignorance. thanks again for all the support and help.

Quick Reply: Help me prove my Aunt wrong