General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Headers + smog issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers + smog issues

I know I read somewhere on here that only downey's headers for the 3vze are smog legal and none of the others are. My question is: Are the others smoggable or just doesn't pass inspection? Or will they not even pass the smog test at all if put on? Sorry if question was asked before, I couldn't find my answer as I was looking around so had to ask. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:25 AM

In general, headers that fail smog do so because of the visual part of the inspection, not for any impact on the exhaust (assuming you kept the catalytic converter, O2 sensor, and air plumbing intact).

California requires a CARB registration (by the manufacturer) for anything aftermarket applied to the vehicle.

Last edited by Windsor; 01-27-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Windsor
In general, headers that fail smog do so because of the visual part of the inspection, not for any impact on the exhaust (assuming you kept the catalytic converter, O2 sensor, and air plumbing intact).

The headers I am looking at I think it does have place holders for 02 sensor and egr valve, only problem is the seller doesn't know what brand it is from. Plus, I don't remember much of visual inspection whenever I do get my vehicles smog, am I just not paying attention or missing what they are looking for? Note: This will actually be the first vehicle that I will put an after market headers for, never had any need for it on the other vehicles before.

California requires a CARB registration (by the manufacturer) for anything after market applied to the vehicle.
So even if it passes the emission test, it will still fail due to the fact that it does not have a registered CARB registration sticker? Is there any way around this? Like if it smogs fine, will they overlook the no brand after market headers?

Sorry I asked so much, I hate this emission thing just as much as anyone, I always do my part to keep my car and the air clean when I can. I just want to see if I can prolong the life of this vehicle. Again thanks for your help and reply. Anymore help and insights are welcome. Thanks again.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldmans4x4
So even if it passes the emission test, it will still fail due to the fact that it does not have a registered CARB registration sticker? Is there any way around this? Like if it smogs fine, will they overlook the no brand after market headers?

Sorry I asked so much, I hate this emission thing just as much as anyone, I always do my part to keep my car and the air clean when I can. I just want to see if I can prolong the life of this vehicle. Again thanks for your help and reply. Anymore help and insights are welcome. Thanks again.
Are you in CA?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Are you in CA?
Yes sir.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the aftermarket part has a CARB sticker it is legal, visually as well.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You can look up the header model and see if it is indeed smog legal:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

If so, perhaps contact the mfg. and see if you can get an EO sticker for it. Or see if you can find someone with a similar header and see if you can grab a picture of their sticker and try making up a duplicate (color printer). I have found with my LC headers (22RE) that it seems the smog tech looks at them and the EO sticker about 50% of the time.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Man,Cali is harsh if they actually look for that stuff;here in Colorado they just make sure you have a cat in place,gas cap doesn't leak and underhood ispection is barely even an inspection and if it passed that's all they care about. They now don't even care if your vehicle is showing as CEL.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:10 AM

That's why it's called "People's republik of Kalifornia"
Old 01-29-2009, 02:09 PM

So the visual inspection is pretty much up to the smog tech?

If that is the case I will see what I can do about the sticker, if anyone has done this, I would definitely like to know .

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
So the visual inspection is pretty much up to the smog tech?

If that is the case I will see what I can do about the sticker, if anyone has done this, I would definitely like to know .

Thanks everyone!
Technically they are supposed top check everything visually before starting any testing. But some techs just give it a quick look and unless something looks obviously wrong, they call it good.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:18 PM

TRD headers (thorley) are CA/CARB smog legal
Old 01-29-2009, 05:30 PM

I go to the same guy for all my cars and he's friends with my muffler/exhaust guy and their friends with my mechanic, and we all go to the desert together and our whole family uses the same people soo... He never does anything illegal as far as the sniffer/CELs go, but visually he's kinda blind.

I don't want to pollute and I'm not promoting polluting, but make friends with your smog tech and be loyal. They can lay off the visual a bit as long as you still blow clean enough to stay within Cali's already strict limits.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:17 PM

<SNIP>
I just want to see if I can prolong the life of this vehicle. <SNIP>
You're thinking that headers will somehow "prolong the life" of your vehicle ??

Fred
Old 01-30-2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by stagger_lee
I go to the same guy for all my cars and he's friends with my muffler/exhaust guy and their friends with my mechanic, and we all go to the desert together and our whole family uses the same people soo... He never does anything illegal as far as the sniffer/CELs go, but visually he's kinda blind.

I don't want to pollute and I'm not promoting polluting, but make friends with your smog tech and be loyal. They can lay off the visual a bit as long as you still blow clean enough to stay within Cali's already strict limits.
Same here. I take all the vehicles in the family to smog at my smog tech's shop but there's no relationship of any kind except business, my dad has always gone there so it just sort of become a family thing, plus the guy is cool and really helpful, especially when it comes to passing smog.

FredTJ:

Well, what I meant is that if it will help the truck in someway with it's head gasket issue at all, even if somewhat then it's worth it.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FredTJ
You're thinking that headers will somehow "prolong the life" of your vehicle ??

Fred
There are some that believe the stupid cross-over design on the 3VZE is possibly a reason for the HG failures. It does seem like it could add extra heat to that cylinder on the back drivers side.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine passed with the downey's installed. I talked to the tech, and he said that usually they just check for emissions equipment, to make sure it is still installed/functioning.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
but you also need to have the CARB approval to pass visual usually, unless the tech doesn't see it.