General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

have 4runner want wrangler....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 05:59 PM
AK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have 4runner want wrangler....

well my current daily driver is my 96 4runner limited. Lately i have been dying to get a jeep wrangler 97- newer. I dont want to sell the 4runner because i have 2 kids (both in car seats, one is 3 and the other is 7 monts old) and dont want to be cramped in the jeep. I just want the jeep for a "fun" vehicle and to hit the trails in. Just wondered if any of you have a wrangler and your opinions on them. Lately i have even been considering selling the 4runner and buying one of the new 4 door unlimited wranglers.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AK
well my current daily driver is my 96 4runner limited. Lately i have been dying to get a jeep wrangler 97- newer. I dont want to sell the 4runner because i have 2 kids (both in car seats, one is 3 and the other is 7 monts old) and dont want to be cramped in the jeep. I just want the jeep for a "fun" vehicle and to hit the trails in. Just wondered if any of you have a wrangler and your opinions on them. Lately i have even been considering selling the 4runner and buying one of the new 4 door unlimited wranglers.
I would never even think about buying a wrangler if I had a kid. In my opinion, it is your duty to protect them the best you can, and sticking them in a wrangler is a bad idea. Again, that is just my opinion.

You can buy a YJ for aroudn 3-4k and still keep the 4runner which is a lot safer than a wrangler IMO.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:07 PM
AK

if i get one i will not buy a YJ. and if i get a TJ 97-2005, it wont be a daily driver. however i would fell perfectly fine putting them in one of the new 4door wranglers. I have read plenty on TJs and car seats and wouldnt feel bad about putting them in one of them either if i chose to use it as my daily driver. Hell my parents grew up when cars didnt have seat belts and there were no "car seats".
Old 02-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

It can be stretched as far as putting your kids in any vehicle is dangerous. Alot of the danger of being in a car is dealing with other drivers on the road. I was driving down the highway tonight when I saw an Exploder drive through the grass "barrier" onto the access road and back, keeping moving at the same speed as me (65mph). Talk about stupid.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

I used to have a 2001 TJ and had a good bit of problems with the suspension components, the clutch went out fairly quickly (60k miles), and left me without anything to drive for a few times in the year i had it.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 468 Likes on 312 Posts
Ah, the old way back when no seat belts theory. The way I see that one is the only reason you hear everyone saying "...and I'm ok" is because the ones who aren't are either unable to speak or are simply no more.

I dunno about you, but I'm sticking to the 4runner over a Jeep, especially if we're talking a newer Jeep. Guess doing your research well net you the info you need to make a decision.

Well, that wasn't much help!
Old 02-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you've obviously never driven a wrangler. i drove a brand new 2006 unlimited last year (rented from hertz) and i will never drive another one if i can help it. absolutely horrendous suspension and ride, incredible wind noise, and all around cheap feel. NOT worth the $30+ THOUSAND they want for a rubicon for sure.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:15 PM

My dad has a built 1997 TJ and he loves it. Its not a daily driver but its alot of fun, easy to work on, and handles well offroad. not to mention you can get aftermarket parts for cheap
Old 02-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Banned

the wrangler is not a very practical car for a family in my opinion. It is an awesome weekend warrior rig, but definitely not a DD. I am not knocking on jeeps, Ive always wanted a CJ-7.

Yes, your parents may have not used seat belts back then, but did they also have the same amt of drivers on the road, and the speed that the cars these days can go? Its not about you being a safe driver, its about the rest of the world being safe. My cousin has a 8 month old, and I would never even think about putting him in a wrangler.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:26 PM
AK

Originally Posted by Localmotion
the wrangler is not a very practical car for a family in my opinion. It is an awesome weekend warrior rig, but definitely not a DD. I am not knocking on jeeps, Ive always wanted a CJ-7.

Yes, your parents may have not used seat belts back then, but did they also have the same amt of drivers on the road, and the speed that the cars these days can go? Its not about you being a safe driver, its about the rest of the world being safe. My cousin has a 8 month old, and I would never even think about putting him in a wrangler.
like i said. if i end up with the TJ it wont be a daily driver. if i get the new 4 door unlimited, i feel it is safe enough for daily driving. my daily comute is only 20 miles round trip. i know ÅÅÅÅ can happen anywhere but you cant live worrying about all the "what ifs" out there. You could have your 8 month old cousin in your 4runner and a crack head in a stolen camary could slam into you going 100+mph. and at that point i dont think its going to make much difference what your driving.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
youre asking on a very biased forum for some input like this, just FYI. personally, i think jeeps are crap compared to a toyota, not to mention the safety factor and the new 4door wranglers look TERRIBLE
Old 02-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

the only heep worth getting is the unlimited 4dr rubi. as others have stated, its ride is choppy, trail fun isnt as good as the runner, and is less capable & durable than the runner (out of the box) in the trail. i've had a YJ, and got rid of it before we got the kid(s). we've got 2 now..and the runner is built for family haulin'...to the mall or to the trail. your definition of 'fun' may be different, but unless 'fun' ONLY includes open top trail riding..then yes, the heep wins in that respect.

but if you say the wrangler wont be a DD...i say go for it. satisfy your curiosity...then you'll realize the error of your ways j/k
Old 02-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
youre asking on a very biased forum for some input like this, just FYI. personally, i think jeeps are crap compared to a toyota, not to mention the safety factor and the new 4door wranglers look TERRIBLE
I dont think many of us are biased as we know there are many capable jeep rigs. I think its more about a safety factor. Even if it is a wrangler unlimited, its still a wrangler. I just dont think its safe enough for your pride and joy.

But hey, do what makes you happy and what you think is best.

Regards
Old 02-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

ONe thing to consider if you go with the 4door jeep, I am pretty sure the wheelbase is longer than a 4runner and the rear cargo area is pretty small. Not really gaining much in the offroad dept.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:36 PM
AK

Originally Posted by slosurfer
ONe thing to consider if you go with the 4door jeep, I am pretty sure the wheelbase is longer than a 4runner and the rear cargo area is pretty small. Not really gaining much in the offroad dept.
except for a solid front axle. and front and rear lockers with the rubicon.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:40 PM

i think i would feel pretty good about putting them in one of those new 4 door wranglers, but probably definatley not the old ones, those are meant for the immortality of youth and serious off roaders...
Old 02-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

For the price difference between selling the 4runner and buying a 4 door Wrangler Rubicon, you could easily lift, lock the front (since you already have the e-locker) get bumpers, winch, tires, etc. and wheel the crap out of the 4Runner.....which seems to me like a much better option
Old 02-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

I'm Biased I have owned a 87 YJ and a 98 ZJ and honestly I can't tell you how much trouble they were. I can't tell you how ture the statement is (J)ust (E)mpty (E)very (P)ocket I spent more time fixing those Jeeps than you could imagine. I send a lot of money on my Runner to but it's not to fix it it's to fix it up. If you want a YJ I understand having the jeep feaver but I'll just bet you it will wear off in a hurry when your having to fix it all the time.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AK
except for a solid front axle. and front and rear lockers with the rubicon.
Well, a Rubicon is a different story, still don't see it being a very good "family" vehicle. Where would you put stuff for a family of four for a weekend of camping and wheeling? Plus, from most of the jeep guys I know, they think the rubicon is overrated. Most of the guys that you see "really" wheeling the Rubicon Jeeps, have changed so much stuff on it that the only thing "Rubicon" about it are the stickers.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:52 PM
AK

I love toyotas. I have previously owned a 1990 xtra cab 22re 4x4. A 1998 tacoma limited. and currently have my 4runner. I loved all of them and dont have any complaints on any of them. However i grew up with a union father and never had a foreign car till i moved out. I am very proud to be an American but sometimes feel that i should still be driving an "American" vehicle. I know newer toyotas are built here but the profits still go overseas (when you buy new). I am not saying anything bad but in current times/events i just feel a little weird about what i drive.

Quick Reply: have 4runner want wrangler....