General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Forced Air Velocity Stacked Deck-Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sebastianholmes
wouldnt cutting that hole in the airbox be similar to putting on a cold air intake? except without a K&N?
just wondering
The hole in the airbox is an adaptation of the deck plate mod which was started yrs ago... the hole does have some of the benefits of a cold air intake but not all of them, it allows the engine to get the air a little more easily but does not include removing the IS (intake silencer) gear which adds weight and heats up the incoming air. The IS is that black tube junk that hangs off the bottom of the intake between the engine and the wheel well.
A cold air intake removes that as well wich smooths out the airflow as well as cooling it.

All that being said the deck plate (hole) mod does make a noticeable difference. Try a search here for "Deck Plate mod" and or "ISR mod" and you will get a whole bunch of info on them both.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:41 AM

Ok, so the whole fan thing doesn't work. Waste of current. Are there any cost-effective ways of cooling the air? I've seen the CO2 cartridge thingy before, maybe you could improve on that. Or maybe wrap the intake in that reflective aluminum stuff? Idk...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My constructive input- your fan is a complete waste of time.

Using a basic Thermodynamic approximation, it is possible to estimate the power a supercharger would require if you know how much pressure you're going up (boost) and the initial temperature and pressure.

So, for the sake of argument let's say you want to pressurize your intake charge to a very conservative 1 psi. If your engine is taking in air at 300 K and 0.1 MPa (1 atm), air's enthalpy is approximately 460 KJ/Kg; if you raise the pressure 1 psi using an isentropic compressor the enthalpy raises to about 468 KJ/Kg.

So calculating the approximate flow rate you can expect from your 3.4l engine at 5500rpm with 85% VE, I come up with 281 cfm. Given the flow rate and the enthalpy change of the air, the power required for the supercharger would be 1300 watts (1.8 horsepower). This also means the fan needs to be capable of generating a 1psi delta P at 281 CFM. It's obvious your fan is not capable of this... EDIT: also note this would mean your fan would be pulling 108 amps at 12 volts, more like a winch motor than a computer fan...

Even for some small amount of grunt in the low-end, say at 2000 rpm, the fan would still need to be able to put out about 490 watts (0.66 hp), and be capable of a 1 psi delta P at 100 CFM. You'll find that your fan is not capable of this either.

Last edited by mastacox; 09-28-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by scottishb
Are there any cost-effective ways of cooling the air?
Water/methanol injection, although I don't think it would help a whole lot in a naturally aspirated engine. it's a common mod in supercharged applications though (especially on roots-type blowers like ours that can't utilize an intercooler).
Old 09-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mastacox
My constructive input- your fan is a complete waste of time.

Using a basic Thermodynamic approximation, it is possible to estimate the power a supercharger would require if you know how much pressure you're going up (boost) and the initial temperature and pressure.

So, for the sake of argument let's say you want to pressurize your intake charge to a very conservative 1 psi. If your engine is taking in air at 300 K and 0.1 MPa (1 atm), air's enthalpy is approximately 460 KJ/Kg; if you raise the pressure 1 psi using an isentropic compressor the enthalpy raises to about 468 KJ/Kg.

So calculating the approximate flow rate you can expect from your 3.4l engine at 5500rpm with 85% VE, I come up with 281 cfm. Given the flow rate and the enthalpy change of the air, the power required for the supercharger would be 1300 watts (1.8 horsepower). This also means the fan needs to be capable of generating a 1psi delta P at 281 CFM. It's obvious your fan is not capable of this... EDIT: also note this would mean your fan would be pulling 108 amps at 12 volts, more like a winch motor than a computer fan...

Even for some small amount of grunt in the low-end, say at 2000 rpm, the fan would still need to be able to put out about 490 watts (0.66 hp), and be capable of a 1 psi delta P at 100 CFM. You'll find that your fan is not capable of this either.

Last edited by DeathCougar; 09-28-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by scottishb
Ok, so the whole fan thing doesn't work. Waste of current. Are there any cost-effective ways of cooling the air? I've seen the CO2 cartridge thingy before, maybe you could improve on that. Or maybe wrap the intake in that reflective aluminum stuff? Idk...
you could wrap the intake in that foil covered bubble wrap insulation stuff it might help reduce the intake temps a little but bear in mind the intake itself is in the front of engine bay and so may already be warmer than ambient temps. especially if you do the deck plate mod. Unless you are running a boosted engine (which needs to cool the air because the temp was raised as result of compression) any change you might get would be minimal at best... though it would up the bling factor with the hood up and we all know that adds at least 2hp LOL (note when I get around to doing my cold air I plan to do a bubble foil wrap if I don't make the tube out of Polished thin wall for this very reason )
Old 09-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Banned

i used to do the same thing on home made go karts and things like that. dont know if it ever worked, cause we'd also run paint thinner in the gas/oil mix to get it to shoot flames out the back. and it did!!! but the fan seemed to keep the little motor cool enough to not grenade itself! keep us posted. looks cool nonethe less
Old 09-30-2010, 07:15 PM

Just found out that the dynos at my dads work are the wrong type.. Anyone have/know of a dyno near Ann Arbor/Detroit? That would be willing to do it for free?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel like this was a good idea and held promise in theory but just didn't hold true in the real situation. I guess i'll wait for the dyno results for my conclusion.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The fan will negate gains by the deck plate mod.
I bet it would do better without it than with it.

The fan is a restriction.

Why anyone attempts to get more power from these engines amazes me. It's like putting running shoes on a fat kid. Just drive em. These things are actually pretty dangerous at speed to be honest with you....
Old 09-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bSkogie
Just found out that the dynos at my dads work are the wrong type.. Anyone have/know of a dyno near Ann Arbor/Detroit? That would be willing to do it for free?
So I see you're just going to pretend I didn't just completely disprove your little fan as a viable mod.

No one's going to dyno your car for free, and you don't need a dyno anyway because you'll have the same horsepower as stock.

Last edited by mastacox; 10-02-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

Just for the record, I'm with masta.

Fink
Old 10-01-2010, 06:07 AM

I just don't really have anything to say to until I can test it. For all I know, you are right, other than saying it will be the same of course. Either way I will be getting more power because either way I am getting more air to the engine. Maybe I'm not getting as much power gain as I would if the fan wasn't there, but that doesn't negate the fact that there is more airflow than stock.

Anyways, it seems that you know more about this than I do, and you are most likely correct, but I'd still like to see what the difference is. Also, does anyone really know how much air is flowing through the velocity stack when left open? I'm guessing no, so no one really knows if more than 200cfm are flowing through it. IMHO, considering how much stuff is in the way of air freely flowing into it, I think it could very well be less than 200cfm. I believe there was a thread on here where someone had run a test that showed that there was no suction/vacuum created in the airbox:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/d...othing-186443/

Anyone know where I could get it dyno tested near Ann Arbor/Detroit and about how much it would cost?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

The deckplate mod has been proven to be good for 6 horsepower, just take the fan off and call it a day. The bass tube isn't going to give you a "velocity stack" effect, so you've basically just done a deckplate mod without the ability to plug it up.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 AM

Have you not seen the Velocity Stacked deck plate mod?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/b...hp-3-a-215789/
Old 10-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

The fact is that a velocity stack won't do anything when the air has to pass through the air filter and box. The deckplate mod is dyno proven for about 6hp, that's it.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by bSkogie
Have you not seen the Velocity Stacked deck plate mod?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/b...hp-3-a-215789/
That thread was disproven as well, as the OP disappeared with ZERO dyno proven results.

Just like every "airbox velocity stack" BS thread on here.

If you think a velocity stack BEFORE a paper filter does ANYTHING, then you do not understand the purpose of a velocity stack.

I also found another flaw with this fan setup; Supercharger setups, as well as ANY sort of forced air induction relies on a sealed setup. The stock airbox is NOT airtight, and cannot hold any sort of pressure increase without leaking. I can put my hand over the air intake hole and the truck will keep running. That in and of itself proves this mod worthless, aside from cutting an opening in the box.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:10 PM

Totally agree Mr Cougar.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:36 PM

yes the truck will keep running with your hand over the hole, its an airbox its made to keep it running with the intake is covered by things like water. if you held it there for 5 and there was an airtight seal around your hand and it kept running then yea id say its not airtight. otherwise i think its got a pretty good seal.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by sebastianholmes
yes the truck will keep running with your hand over the hole, its an airbox its made to keep it running with the intake is covered by things like water. if you held it there for 5 and there was an airtight seal around your hand and it kept running then yea id say its not airtight. otherwise i think its got a pretty good seal.
Can I get the English translation for that?

Quick Reply: Forced Air Velocity Stacked Deck-Mod