General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Can you help me identifying this auto tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you help me identifying this auto tranny?

Hello,

I'm planning a manual to auto swap in my 4Runner.

I want to buy from a UK guy the bellhousing, flywheel, TC, tranny and T-Case out of a 3.0TD Hilux Surf.

From what I've read, the V6 2nd Gen autos where all A340H with the integrated-type T-Case.

I've been looking for pics and info and seems that the diesel auto 4Runners/Surfs have the A343 tranny. Well, they're almost identical, I think the only difference it's some gear ratios.

Looking at pics, seems that the Surf didn't came with an "H" tranny but a "F" one. From what I've got reading in lots of places, seems that the H series don't have a T-Case stick so the F series do.

Looking at those pics, would you say this is a "F" series auto tranny?

If it's a "F" series then the coupling pattern with the T-Case has to be the same as my R-150F right? Then can I put my chain driven T-Case behind this tranny? I ask because I've a custom T-Case disc brake made and the transfer coming with this auto tranny seems to be electrical operated and I'd like to avoid it.

Also, if it's a "F" series I'd be able to put dual T-Cases in a future...

Any help would be very appreciated...

Thanks!

David
Old 06-09-2008, 04:15 PM

That looks exactly like the tranny and transfer case that came with my 1KZ diesel swap (a 343). I don't think you can just change out the transfer case though.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:54 PM

Got your PM

Well all I can tell you from the picture is that does look like an A34x trans. The a340h, a340f, and a343 (in the fj80's I think) are the common 4wd autos.

It is not an A340H.

It could be an a340f I dont remember what the chain drive behind that looked like. I do not recognize that tranfer case! I bet its an a340f mine has gear drives behind it.

I guess it could be an A343, in the fj80's they have an odd ball t-case with no aftermarket support (though I did hear something about someone making gears for it but it was $$$$) But it cant have that t-case from the fj 80 because the land cruisers have off set rear diffs and offset rear outputs. Maybe its an A343 with a different case. I dont know much about the diesel drivetrains we dont have them here.

If it is a A340f then in order to put a gear drive behind it (or any auto) you need an adapter. Marlin makes the one for the a340f.

If you have an a343 then I dont see why you couldnt swap the tail housing from a 340f and use marlins adapter. I beleive all the a34x trans's can share tail housings, bell housings, torque converters... There are some tricky experimenting that has to be done with some of them (2wd lexus trans's) For more info about that talk to Cebby. But the internals are all similar aside from ratios and valve bodies.

Hmmm I feel like that was all nonsense....so in summation...

I say determine what it is and then go from there. If it is a a340f then get a marlin adapter and throw some gear drive cases behind it. If its an a343 then Im not sure what to do about getting dual gear drives behind it. But I would look into using a 340f tail housing and a marlin adapter, Ive been wondering if that can be done.

Im sure some one else will have more info
Old 06-09-2008, 09:42 PM

Hello,

Thanks for your inputs.

I've confirmed it is an A343F. Let's suppose the A340F and the A343F are identical (They're almost the same). If both are F's my actual T-Case (Stock chain driven one behind the R150F) would have to bolt right?

I can't afford dual T-Cases at the moment but wanted to use my T-Case as it's not electric and have a custom disc e-brake.

David
Old 06-10-2008, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Blizzard
Hello,

Thanks for your inputs.

I've confirmed it is an A343F. Let's suppose the A340F and the A343F are identical (They're almost the same). If both are F's my actual T-Case (Stock chain driven one behind the R150F) would have to bolt right?

I can't afford dual T-Cases at the moment but wanted to use my T-Case as it's not electric and have a custom disc e-brake.

David
I dont know if it would bolt up. I honestly dont see why it would. Unless the r150f and 340f had the same cases? (I guess they could be...how many chain drives could they have)

I would just run the stock case that is on it for now. You wont be gaining anything by using the chain drive behind the r150. As for the e-brake. Why do you want to run the ebrake? With an Auto it really isnt necessary. Unless you have events run by idiots like TLCA, and it is mandatory (Ba'zing! thats right!)

The real question is determining how to put duals (in the future) behind the a343. And if it turns out that the a343 and r150 share the same t-case then the marlin auto adapter should work.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by 4rnr
I dont know if it would bolt up. I honestly dont see why it would.
I applied my (See I put mine) logic.

If the V6 MC adapter bolts to an A340F and also to a R150F then the T-Case bolted to a R150F must bolt to an A340F... Sounds right?

I want to mantain the e-brake because here in Spain it's mandatory (You don't imagine the PITA that's legalize a SAS...), also I like more my T-Case as it's fully mechanical and has no electronics like the one behind the auto tranny...

David
Old 06-10-2008, 04:07 PM

I'm a little worried about the electric transfer case after swapping from mechanical, but......I did rig up a cool 'twin stick' install into it by pulling a wire from the 4wd computer! Now the shifter just shifts between hi and lo and you have to push the button for 4wd, so now I have a 2wd lo.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:14 PM

Something like the 70 series Land Cruisers have... I'll try to use my T-Case and if I'm not able will stick with the electric one.

Dual cases will go maybe in the future, it's not something that has to be legalized and also adds weight to the truck, and I've to try the truck to weight the less possible when I legalize it.

David
Old 06-11-2008, 06:47 AM

I applied my (See I put mine) logic.

If the V6 MC adapter bolts to an A340F and also to a R150F then the T-Case bolted to a R150F must bolt to an A340F... Sounds right?

I want to mantain the e-brake because here in Spain it's mandatory (You don't imagine the PITA that's legalize a SAS...), also I like more my T-Case as it's fully mechanical and has no electronics like the one behind the auto tranny...

David
I dont know if they are the same adapter. I doubt it because the auto adapter is relatively new compared to the r150 adapter. But I couldnt find the auto adapter on their site for some reason.

Dual cases are worth the weight!!!
Old 11-01-2008, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by 91diesel
I'm a little worried about the electric transfer case after swapping from mechanical, but......I did rig up a cool 'twin stick' install into it by pulling a wire from the 4wd computer! Now the shifter just shifts between hi and lo and you have to push the button for 4wd, so now I have a 2wd lo.
I know thsi is kind of an old thread and slightly OT, but I'm interested in more info on this mod.
I have a Lokcright in teh front and would LOVE to have 2-low. I have the A340F behind good old 22re ('89 Rnr).
Old 11-01-2008, 07:18 AM

Just for the record, the T-Cases can be swapped and so I did:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/...o-swap-150243/

RatLabGuy, simply separate the wire of the electric motor that engages the 4x4 and you'll have a "Dual Stick" (Stick+Button).

David
Old 11-01-2008, 09:00 AM

Just for the record, the T-Cases can be swapped and so I did:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/...o-swap-150243/

RatLabGuy, simply separate the wire of the electric motor that engages the 4x4 and you'll have a "Dual Stick" (Stick+Button).

David

That makes sense... it's electrically engaged? I thought it was mechanical when you pull the lever. This is the *one* part of my truck I haven't had apart yet, lol. I haven't noticed any wires on the outiside, is it accessible from underneath w/o having to drop it?
Old 11-01-2008, 09:18 AM

Ratlab,

go to your 4wd computer (its a little box in the console area). Look for the same color wire going from the button to the 4wd computer. Leave that one alone! ( I think it is green, but don't trust me). If I remember correctly there is a pink one plugged in right beside it. That is from the 'lo' shifter. If you unplug that wire then you have to push the 4wd button for 4wd while in 'lo'. It's easy!
Old 11-01-2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by 91diesel
Ratlab,

go to your 4wd computer (its a little box in the console area). Look for the same color wire going from the button to the 4wd computer. Leave that one alone! ( I think it is green, but don't trust me). If I remember correctly there is a pink one plugged in right beside it. That is from the 'lo' shifter. If you unplug that wire then you have to push the 4wd button for 4wd while in 'lo'. It's easy!

What button? I don't have a 4wd button.
I engage 4wd using the lever on the TC, mounted beside the auto shofter. Again this is a g1 (89) Rnr, A340F.
I've never actually sat in a newer truck, do they just have a button to engage? No lever?
Old 11-01-2008, 01:39 PM

You don't have a A340H but an A340H! Those trannies have the transfer case as a part of the tranny and work with ATF.

A340F's can be found in 3rd Gen 4Runners.

David
Old 11-01-2008, 03:46 PM

according to this site, it's an A340F...
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/

Yes mine is functionally part of the tranny; even though it has it's own drain hole, it must share fluid b/c there' no way to add directly to the case, only through the main fill in the auto tranny.
I guess technically the transfer case is a VF2A.

Last edited by RatLabGuy; 11-01-2008 at 03:48 PM.