General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Build Ideas for a reasonably priced ($5000 max) 1984-1994 toyota pick-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Definitely get an extra cab. My pickup is a single cab and the cargo space BLOWS.
plus, cant haul around any extra ladies..
Old 01-20-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soooo much depends on what your primary use for the vehicle is. How do you see yourself using this truck? Are you crawling, or bumping down fire roads? Are you camping, or doing day runs? What is your ratio of street use to trail use going to be? The answers to these questions will greatly affect the quantity and quality of the advice you receive.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:43 PM

Thanks a bunch for the price list there TC. The $5000 does not include the truck only mods. Few questions though...where and why did you relocate the gas tank? Since they only have a 17 gallon tank I was considering a larger bed tank but i was undecided. Also I was thinkin about bobbing the bed to keep from draggin ass all the time.

As for how I will use the truck it will be my daily driver but I'm always goin camping all over the place and i love ridin in moab and I always hate drivin my camry to the worlds best 4x4 playground. I'll probably go wheelin regularly on the weekends at least. As for the extra ladies you make a valid point peow130. I'm definitely decided on the xtra cab now.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:47 PM

Also I was lookin around but I couldn't find much for a supercharger for the 22re. i've heard the new Tacomas get between 2 and 4 mpg better with the s/c. Is it the same for the 22r/re? Or is the turbo a better idea?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:42 PM

unfortunately there isn't a lot of info son forced induction for the 22re
Old 01-21-2010, 05:16 PM

i just want to know what he cons of the xtra cab are?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
None really.
The extra cab length gets made up for with the shorter bed.
So all in all it balances out to a pretty similar weight.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:35 PM

I am still willing to sell mine. There are a couple of leaks, but overall it's in good condition. This would be easily ready for the wheeling season if you wanted to drop 200 bucks to rebuild the front axle and I have all the parts for fixing the t-case. Just throwing this out for you.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:49 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I needed to replace the fuel tank due to rust issues. Decided to remove the rock magnet factor while I was at it.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Studnasty
Thanks a bunch for the price list there TC. The $5000 does not include the truck only mods. Few questions though...where and why did you relocate the gas tank? Since they only have a 17 gallon tank I was considering a larger bed tank but i was undecided. Also I was thinkin about bobbing the bed to keep from draggin ass all the time.

As for how I will use the truck it will be my daily driver but I'm always goin camping all over the place and i love ridin in moab and I always hate drivin my camry to the worlds best 4x4 playground. I'll probably go wheelin regularly on the weekends at least. As for the extra ladies you make a valid point peow130. I'm definitely decided on the xtra cab now.

Ok, now we have a good idea as to what to recommend.

Here's my thoughts:
Xtra-Cab. You don't need a short wheelbase, and that extra room could be real nice.

Here's the priority list:

1) Lockers - Aussie Lockers front and rear, $600
2) Armor - $100 - $300
3) Flatbed / Body mods $1000
4) Tires - $1000
5) Suspension - $2-3000 (depending on vehicle purchased)

1) LOCKERS. The aussies are some of my favorites, good performance on a budget (240-270$), and they get positive reviews everywhere. I have actually never seen a bad review...

2) Armor. Reinforce the crap outa everything. Especially if you are doing the work yourself, this is fairly cheap and can save your ass. Nobody wants to walk home. $100 will get you a lot of peace of mind. You can get weld on armor many places, here's one:

http://www.wabfab.org/products/armor/armor.htm

3) Flatbed/Bed mods. If this is a vehicle to play with, the extra clearance from a flatbed is just plain nice. Build in nice features for how you are going to use it. I personally like the flatbeds with a raised deck with storage below and a canopy above. This can allow for a nice flat, covered sleeping surface with enough room below the deck for tools and spare, and a canopy to keep sun and rain off.

4) Tires. Keep your stock rims, run 33x12.50's without much difficulty. A set will probably set you back about 800-1000 bones. My 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws were a steal at 220$/Ea.

5) Suspension. Oddly enough, for a multi-purpose trail rig like what you need, suspension comes in dead last. You don't need crazy long springs with the ability to go WAY negative, you need to not get beaten to death on the trail. If you do the above three steps right, you ought to be able to spend like $2000 on suspension, that should be all you need. Actually, these two kits for front and rear from Wab Fab might be a good starting point, they are extremely inclusive. In fact, the front kit even includes some dif armor. Maybe the Wabbit could inject his two cents here...

http://www.wabfab.org/products/suspe...assicfront.htm

http://www.wabfab.org/products/suspe...earliftkit.htm
Old 01-22-2010, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Pumpkinyota
Ok, now we have a good idea as to what to recommend.

Here's my thoughts:
Xtra-Cab. You don't need a short wheelbase, and that extra room could be real nice.

Here's the priority list:

1) Lockers - Aussie Lockers front and rear, $600
2) Armor - $100 - $300
3) Flatbed / Body mods $1000
4) Tires - $1000
5) Suspension - $2-3000 (depending on vehicle purchased)

1) LOCKERS. The aussies are some of my favorites, good performance on a budget (240-270$), and they get positive reviews everywhere. I have actually never seen a bad review...

2) Armor. Reinforce the crap outa everything. Especially if you are doing the work yourself, this is fairly cheap and can save your ass. Nobody wants to walk home. $100 will get you a lot of peace of mind. You can get weld on armor many places, here's one:

http://www.wabfab.org/products/armor/armor.htm

3) Flatbed/Bed mods. If this is a vehicle to play with, the extra clearance from a flatbed is just plain nice. Build in nice features for how you are going to use it. I personally like the flatbeds with a raised deck with storage below and a canopy above. This can allow for a nice flat, covered sleeping surface with enough room below the deck for tools and spare, and a canopy to keep sun and rain off.

4) Tires. Keep your stock rims, run 33x12.50's without much difficulty. A set will probably set you back about 800-1000 bones. My 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws were a steal at 220$/Ea.

5) Suspension. Oddly enough, for a multi-purpose trail rig like what you need, suspension comes in dead last. You don't need crazy long springs with the ability to go WAY negative, you need to not get beaten to death on the trail. If you do the above three steps right, you ought to be able to spend like $2000 on suspension, that should be all you need. Actually, these two kits for front and rear from Wab Fab might be a good starting point, they are extremely inclusive. In fact, the front kit even includes some dif armor. Maybe the Wabbit could inject his two cents here...

http://www.wabfab.org/products/suspe...assicfront.htm

http://www.wabfab.org/products/suspe...earliftkit.htm
Good post!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Studnasty
Also I was lookin around but I couldn't find much for a supercharger for the 22re. i've heard the new Tacomas get between 2 and 4 mpg better with the s/c. Is it the same for the 22r/re? Or is the turbo a better idea?
Not true. Plus the S/C would require premium gas, injector kits, etc. Still won't get better mileage though.

a 22RE is capable of 24mpg max IMO. My old ones routinely did that stock. Even build with a solid axle and 37s it would get 19mpg. A header and good exhaust goes a long way on a 22RE. Its the best bang for the buck performance mod you can do.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a thread with some pictures of my 89 xtra cab truck I had.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ations-149336/

First thing I did to it was trim the fenders and install 33" tires. I had a set of A/T tires for the street, and swampers for the trail. Added sliders and wheeled it a bit more, then added a locker. Eventually made a front bumper for it, bobbed the bed and made a rear tube bumper to go with it. For suspension, the front was bone stock, replaced the shocks. The rear I first ran some Add a Leafs, but didn't like the ride quality. Ended up with a set of 2" downey rear springs and was very happy with that setup.

The truck did everything I wanted out of a IFS rig, never let me down on the trails. Always got me home, and got 18-19 mpg with the stock gearing and 33's. Lower gearing would have been nice, but wasn't in the budget at the time.

Prices off the top of my head -
Truck $2500
Sliders $240 (4xinnovation DOM sliders with kickout, strong stuff!)
lockright locker $200
Used 33" swampers and 1 new swamper $400
New Cragar steel rims $200
Used AT tires on stock rims $300
Front and rear bumper material $250
Replacement bed $100
Tube doors and hinges $300

Total $4490
Old 01-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
a 22RE is capable of 24mpg max IMO. My old ones routinely did that stock. Even build with a solid axle and 37s it would get 19mpg. A header and good exhaust goes a long way on a 22RE. Its the best bang for the buck performance mod you can do.
Very true, even with big tires a 22re is very capable of getting decent gas mileage. Some guys just need to learn to get thier foot out of the gas, when i was drivin my 85 with a lead foot i was getting like 13mpg, but if i go easy on the gas i get closer to 18. You just need to learn to be content with the speed limit...

Right on about the header too, its the best power mod you can get on a 22re. I have an LC Engineering header, and while its a little pricey, its worth it. Forget about a turbo or a supercharger (ive never even heard of a super charger for a 22re) and just get yourself a good quality header, either a LCE or Doug Thorley

As for the rest of your build, it would be good to know for sure what vehicle you are gonna get, truck or 4runner? ifs or solid axle? Then we can give you better advice and ideas for your project.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by g_cali
(ive never even heard of a super charger for a 22re)
Here it is

Superchargers can get you better fuel mileage, if you don't stay in the throttle, as it creates a more complete burn. I've seen this before, but you really have to be easy on the throttle, and I would use the boost.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:31 PM

Shoulda figured that LCE makes one, but for $3400 no thank you...
Old 01-22-2010, 05:42 PM

I think it would be a good last modification. When everything is done and you have the extra money, especially for people like me who drive on hills all the time. All my trails are in the mountains...
Old 01-22-2010, 07:32 PM

Meh, for 3500$ its not worth it. I love the 22r motor, but if you are gonna drop 3500 on motor mods, dump in a 350 and be done. Supercharger discussions probably don't belong in a "bang for your buck" thread anyhow.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:23 PM

You really need to decide what your overall goals are with the rig. When I bought my 4runner I was under the Solid Axle is King mindset, but if I had it to do over, I would build a rig more like TC's than mine. Don't get me wrong, I love my rig, but for the wheeling we do here in Co (with the guys I wheel with) an IFS rig built nicely would have been better. I am actually looking at trying to get a 1st or 2nd gen with IFS, but the cost an arm and a leg and I can't get what I need to out of mine.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stud if u dont mind, i was in your shoes about 6 months ago, looking on ebay craigslist any where else to find a 85 fuel injected ext cab yota what i drove almost 1 thous miles 1 way was to pick up a 85 carb reg cab 4inch lift w/other mods. i hate the tiny space but i love my truck thoe. be patient there out there. that is if u wanna drive far?

Quick Reply: Build Ideas for a reasonably priced ($5000 max) 1984-1994 toyota pick-up