General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Brass to aluminium radiator conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brass to aluminium radiator conversion

New owner of an 86 LN65 Hilux with 2.4 diesel (2L) and during restoration I messed up the welds on the brass radiator, now the old radiator is scrap, I'm looking for a new aluminium radiator however couple things I'm concerned:

1-) Is it ok to run an aluminium radiator with a brass heater core? If not I will replace the heater core with an aluminium core from a different make model

2-) What type of coolant should I run for both scenarios? If 1-) is not an option I believe I will use a g13 like OAT coolant that protects aluminium. The previous coolant was all rusty tap water with 0 antifreeze, quite impressive and surely can't get any worse

Also I should mention I'm running an oil cooled turbo with no intercooler and no boost compensator, so it does get hot in there but never overheated, she runs like a champ despite the absence of antifreeze
Old 01-23-2024, 05:03 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
Well, I've had an 87 Hilux, gasoline version, 22R engine, since 1988, and I put an aluminum 3-core in it in 89. It's still there, still cooling. The heater core is factory original. Been using the off-the-shelf green coolant in it, changed once a year, or every 2 years, give or take. Distilled water to mix, or 50-50 mix coolant.

I'll probably need to change the radiator one day soon, but I figure I've done pretty good, having the same radiator in it this long. I put a 3-core in because I lived in Yuma, Az at the time. It's a rather warm area. Like I've seen 110° F on Christmas day, warm. Never had a lick of trouble overheating, and I had an hour's drive each way to/from work each day.

Does this help at all?
Pat☺
Old 01-23-2024, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy
Well, I've had an 87 Hilux, gasoline version, 22R engine, since 1988, and I put an aluminum 3-core in it in 89. It's still there, still cooling. The heater core is factory original. Been using the off-the-shelf green coolant in it, changed once a year, or every 2 years, give or take. Distilled water to mix, or 50-50 mix coolant.

I'll probably need to change the radiator one day soon, but I figure I've done pretty good, having the same radiator in it this long. I put a 3-core in because I lived in Yuma, Az at the time. It's a rather warm area. Like I've seen 110° F on Christmas day, warm. Never had a lick of trouble overheating, and I had an hour's drive each way to/from work each day.

Does this help at all?
Pat☺
That's great to hear 2ToyGuy, and knock on wood for such a long lasting alum. radiator. I see running a materialwise hybrid setup is not a challenge as I've thought.

I take it the off the shelf green coolant is inorganic, Currently looking at Speedol Inorganic Coolant. which I'm sure doesn't meet most required certificates but Speedol is top quality where I am. One thing they told me is the service life is relatively short compared to HOAT/OAT coolants and I told them I'm fine with following a 2 year coolant change schedule.

For the radiator I'll look for 3-core setup as you've recommended, it does get hot here during summer.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I accept as true with its time we begin locking up threads and converge all threads of a comparable subject matter in a single. Finding data is difficult due to dribs and drabs all over the location, and with new and antique participants asking most of the identical questions time and again a simple redirect to the relevant thread after which there question deleted would be very useful and save on a couple of threads on the identical subject matter. Anyway I recognize this question also has been requested but i'm hoping to find a solution as its tough to decipher so many distinctive threads, however I'm wanting to update my radiator and after first hand experience human beings have had with each aluminium and brass copper radiators.

Kodi

Last edited by sodkil; 05-05-2024 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-05-2024, 06:50 AM

Received 222 Likes on 163 Posts
Unfortunately this is how forums work, merging threads will be just or more confusing, searching and searching and time is your friend when researching your issues. In the end the user can figure out which thread matches their needs best.