General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

1992 4Runner 3.4 auto swap (WAY in beginning stage)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 4Runner 3.4 auto swap (Rear end ruined Nov, 21) built put off

I'm still trying to get all my info into my thread so this is not finished yet. Please don't post yet.

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Hey guys! I have a few boring threads on here (which mods can delete) but this is it! My build/idea thread.

All input, ideas, helpful tips and shared wisdom is encouraged!!!

Keep in mind this is all this in planning stages, waiting on money :/

So after months of debating/fighting with friends, and racking my poor brain to near insanity I have finally desided to go with the 3.4 auto in my 1992 4Runner SR5 auto. I've read through millions of deferent treads looking for the perfect swap for me. From 4.3 vortec to 3800 supercharged. Lexus 400, 2JZ-TE, 2.7 Turboed, but I always keeped coming back to the 3.4 because of the great support I've found online for it. Thousands of threads and plenty of company's determined to get that 3.4 into your truck!

Now at this point I can still change my mind on a lot of things. Like auto vs manual trans or maybe a better year second gen 4Runner but If its not much harder I'd prefer an auto trans.

My 4Runner is a '92 4x4 SR5 with cloth interior and no real problems cosmetically.
With 170,000 miles The motor leaks a ton with valve problems it is ready to die. The trans doesn't like to up shift and when slowing it doesn't like to down shift. Due to speed sensor being out. Plus I need to mash the pedal to go anywhere. I love the truck, just not the tired motor or trans.

I know this will be an expensive and time consuming swap but I need a hobby so I ain't scared. Haha (may regret saying that later)

My next post will detail my part break down

The third post will be my mayor questions

Pictures...

You can move thread if its in the wrong place

Last edited by Balzonya; 11-22-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:30 PM

Donor/Part Breakdown-

Ok so i've always heard that you need a donor truck to do this swap easier and I crunched a few of the numbers and came out with more than $6,000 to piece the needed parts together (Motor, Trans, T-Case, ECU and all needed wiring) Plus the fact that you'd need to have the all the same year parts. WAY to much hassle.

As far as the donor truck I'm looking around $2,500 but I don't know how to use these action sites very well so maybe I can get a complete/wrecked truck for less.

I'm thinking a 2000 or older 4Runner, so I don't have to do the dip stick mod. And If I get lucky i can find one with the E-Locker.

Now from what i've read the Motor, Trans, Shifter Assembly,ECU, Engine wiring harness and the Body/Dash harness come from donor truck. If the truck has the E-Locker I will also steel that too.

Transfer Case-

Now sense the Transfer Case front drive shaft is on the wrong side I was just thinking to get a new VF1A 23 spline input top shift with A340 3.4 Auto trans adapter from Marlin Crawler
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfe...p-4runner-kits
-The Single Gear Drive Transfer Case
Sounds better that buying a dirty used one, trying to piece it together and buy and fit the adapter for the 3.4 A/T to 22RE M/T(R151) T-Case

*After rechecking the price I might just modify RF1A T-Case found behind a R151F M/T*
RF1A has 23 spline to match the A340 3.4 A/T but needs an adapter (http://www.inchwormgear.com/products...on-adapter-kit)

Engine-

So i mentioned the 2000 and earlier motors require no mods for the oil dip stick. So i'll be looking for a donor in this year range.
I'd like to get the motor on a stand and upgrade/replace some parts. all depending on milage of donor.

Timing Belt
Water Pump
Valve Cover Gaskets
Intake Seals
Plugs and Wires
Rear Main
Oil pan swap kit (http://www.offroadsolutions.com/old/....4l_swap_parts)

Exhaust-

What I've read is that the stock manifold with a custom driver side cross pipe fit perfect.
(http://www.toyonlyswaps.com/Page_4.html)
-Pass Side Crossover

But I gotta bring it up...
Headers....

Are there any that will fit and bolt to a boughten driver side crossover pipe? Or is there a way to run duals? I haven't looked much into this area yet.

After I figure out which manifolds/header I will use. I'll probably go with 3" pipe to a Y for duals out the back. Don't have a complete plan, I need to see some ideas first.

Wiring-

This is the part which makes me nervous. The mechanics at work say "wiring is the hardest part of being a mechanic". And I personally can't/never tried to read a wiring diagram, so I have some homework to do before I get the swap underway.

I was thinking out this wiring harness from OffRoadSolutions

Will this make the job easier? Like plug and play or still a bunch of manual wiring?

Mounts-

Not to sure what to do on motor mounts. Cut the 3.o ones off and weld the Bomb Proof mounts from Trail Gear?

Should I just buy the T-Case mounts and custom crossmember from

TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited by Balzonya; 11-20-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 PM

Questions-

Theses are just a few questions off hand that I couldn't find a good answer too...

Does have a good link for the wiring process? Not just a wiring scheme that i can't understand? Like a good rundown on the process

Not to sure what to do about motor mounts. I need a good link for that.

Will the stock '92 gauges be use? Because something melted back there and took the lights out. plus odometer stopped rolling.

Is there an easier model 4Runner to do this swap on or are they all about the same difficulty?

More coming soon...

Last edited by Balzonya; 11-20-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:32 PM

1986 4Runner 22RTE -

Coming soon...
Old 11-19-2012, 02:42 PM

Might need this post too

Coming soon...
Old 11-22-2012, 11:00 AM

Hopes deleted...

Last edited by Balzonya; 11-22-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 AM