zuk coil mod on front axle?? please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 04:37 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice job!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well the perches wouldn't fit with how it was bolted together, so I need to take them to get welded up so I can remove the bolt and they will fit perfectly.

for now I just replaced the broken bumpstop with another good one, and ended up cutting the front TJ coils down to 14" and I think it leveled out nicely. My new perches will give me another half inch to an inch when they go on and it will probably be perfect then.
also removed the shock as the torque rod, it basically did nothing for me it would pull hard to the right.
Managed to get the stock one back on and trimmed the belly pan, and it stays very straight now while breaking.

Last edited by 85Hilux; 04-12-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:55 PM

How are those pro comp's working out for you? What shocks did you end up going with in the front? I'm planning on replacing my front springs and trying to decide how to go about it.

I did the ZUK mod in the rear with the 14" x 100# springs a few years ago, works great but I've been putting up with the front sag for far too long.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 AM

I am actually really enjoying the pro comp lift, I get what people say about it being a bit stiff, but its worlds better than being sagged and bottoming out everywhere. I got the matching pro comp shocks recommended on their website for a 4" lift for the front and back, they have alot more travel than stock and it looks like I should make some longer bumps so the shocks can't bottom out on a crazy bump, but for now it doesn't even get close so I have some time to fab some up cause I mostly drive on the street.

the front pair were like 120 shipped on ebay so you can't beat that, I would do it before the prices change.. lol.
the rears are like 120 a piece but I can see why they have alot more leafs and stuff on it.

What I didn't like was the rear zuk mod with the front TJ coils, they are really stiff or I should have left them longer because it the bed sort of sounds like a gong when going over bumps and is very uncomfortable. Instead of experimenting with other sets of zuk coils and stuff, I just bought the rear pair of pro comp springs to complete the set and they will be going on soon. Its no old man EMU soft ride lift I would imagine, but it gets you 4" and has made my truck look and feel alot newer.

the pro comp drop drag link or hi steer is a must though, I found a drop drag link and it works perfect. In fact my truck had a lot of wandering and 80% of it was apparently the stock drag link was way loose, but the cotter pins holding them in place. Worst steering design ever but its not that bad if you learn to check it periodically which is on my maintenance list now until I go hi steer.

And I have no idea why everyone is like brake line this and brake line that, It took me about 5 minutes to make a slit in the stock brake line brackets, pop the brake line out, and then just bend the hard brake line down some taking care not to pinch the line. on both the front driver and passenger side there is a whole bunch of extra hard line just coiled up there right before the bracket, so I just popeed them out and bent them a little bit, didn't have to bleed or anything the brakes work like stock. Did the same thing for the rear line.
Pro comp instructions even tell you to do this, but they give you 2 little metal pieces to remount the line lower, but creative bending and a ziptie works just as well and actually lets it flex more at full droop.

Last edited by 85Hilux; 05-10-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually thinking about doing the procomp 3" springs because I have the stock 27" tires, and have no ambition of going larger. So hopefully that means I don't need to mess with the brake lines or anything. I've been looking at the set, and I might even be able to get away with reusing my U-bolts, but would probably be wise to replace them anyway.

Like I said, I did the 14" x 100# ZUK on the rear and I love it. I used the black magic springs, which are the right amount of soft and very quiet. I didn't have to do anything with the brake lines in the rear, which either means there was enough line or I've been wearing down the brakes enough to not matter
Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 AM

I think even the 3" is going to make the 27" a bit small but it shouldn't be too bad.
I would try and find a set of tundra or tacoma wheels and tires most upgrade and basically give them away and stock sizes are usually like 30-31" tires on those, but they need some spacers like i am running.

brake lines in reality took me 15 minutes to tackle so I wouldn't worry about it, chances are even with a 3" you will want to give it some extra breathing room anyways, but I am not positive. I think the only one you can get away with the most stock stuff is the 2" old man emu lift.
The rear line is the one with the most slack, same with the rear shocks in stock form they seem to handle a small lift just fine probably because they designed the rear to have more play due to being fully loaded or unloaded, but the front shocks would bottom out just raising the truck up like 2" they are no where near long enough to put any kind of lift on really, and the brake lines are mounted way up high stock I think 3" you will have to unclip and bend them downwards.

Compared with all the work and effort it was to get the hanger pins and shackle bolts out of the front leaf springs (torch is a necessity, really), balancing the axle and truck on various stands and trying to ease everything into place so you can bolt it back up, the brake lines were a walk in the park.
I did have to remove the torque rod and stabilizer bar while installing, but when everthing else was done I was able to get the stock torque rod back, and had to trim the belly pan a little bit because the torque rod points more downward, so I just made the slot in the belly pan longer for it.

I bought new U bolts from marlin crawler, only to find that the ones they sell individucally are for some reason for their u bolt flip kit which isn't written on that page, so I thought they would fit the originals, but they didn't so I had to reuse mine because all the threads were fine and werent rusted out or anything. If the nuts go on fine and torque up, Its not a huge concern but if you want to get new ones thats always a good way to go.

Last edited by 85Hilux; 05-10-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:28 AM

Great info, thanks! I've heard the pro comp springs settle quite a bit after the first year or so, so I think I'll try the 3" with the hope that it really will settle but not bottom out! I think a little lift will be okay even with the 27" for now. It looks fine in the rear as is with the ZUK anyway: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51548012

Yesterday I found out I'm getting a 20% pay cut starting in July, so looks like I'm putting the front suspension on hold, yet again....
Old 05-10-2013, 11:38 AM

truck looks good, yeah its not the best of times for us hobbyists right now, I wouldn't have gotten the rear set if I hadn't sold off some of my other car parts but If you keep an eye out and look for good deals you can get it done one step at a time. I think If I had gone with the softer springs in the rear instead of the TJ It would have been worth keeping but I'm done with worrying about the coil coming out and decapitating someone, I know its unlikely but I don't tend to have the best of luck always.

the front pro comp springs are a very good deal though for what you get, and you could get some basic monroe shocks the right length to hold you over, I had looked them up but decided to go with the procops because monroe didn't have one that was long enough for the 4" with alot of droop, but for the 3" I think they had a few choices that were long enough. the drop drag link can be pricey but if you wait and scoop one up used like I did off craigslist, people who go hi steer basically give them away and if you play your cards right you can get that lift done on even on a tight budget.