Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Questions

Hey guys, 1987 toyota 4x4 22r, 230,000+ mi
This is my first post even though I use yota tech all the time for inquiries, I need some specifics if any of you have the time. So I am about the replace my valve cover gasket for the first time because there is obvious oil bleeding all around it, at this time I was going to check to see if they have installed the metal guides when replacing the timing chain or not, and possibly replacing the water pump since i've heard its right there. I have a chilton manual, but its a little vauge because Its 1970-1988. So my basic questions are, when removing the valve cover i know you have to line up the driveshaft with the timing mark in order to take off the distributor cap, do i also need to drain out all of the coolant and oil? I'm buying new gaskets, have heard about those rubbuer biscuts on the headbolts being a bitch the get off, and im damn sure ill never use a screwdriver to try and pry the cover off. Other than this is there anything else you can think of that i would need to do for this? At the same time i am going to replace my muffler/catalytic converter but thats pretty simple stuff, i will post pics as i start to work on it, and thanks for any replies, they are much appreciated.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 AM

I'm pretty sure that you can just pop the valve cover right off without having to remove anything but a few vacuum lines (depending on your emissions setup). The water pump isn't too difficult of a job, but having the valve cover off wouldn't help really at all. In order the change the water pump you'll have to drain your coolant, but nothing else. Here's a good link from the FSM on how to replace your water pump:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...50waterpum.pdf

Just take a Saturday to do it, and start wrenching. Also, if you do go ahead and remove your distributor, check out this YouTube video. It'll make the whole process a lot easier.

Search around if you need to find any more info.

Best of luck,

Andy
Old 09-29-2013, 05:20 PM

Need Instruction on changing valve cover gaskets on 3vze

i need to change both valve cover gaskets in my '92 deluxe and i was wondering if there was complete instructions online on how to change the gaskets and also changing my throttle body gasket and intake plenum gasket.