Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

U joint question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U joint question

Well, it's cold and snowy here in eastern, NC. I noticed that when my hubs are locked in, I am getting some vibration as my speed increases. Doesn't matter if I am shifted in 2wd or 4wd.

My thought is that I either have a bad u joint, loose pinion nut or my hubs are giving me problems. With all the snow and ice under the truck, the back half of my front drive shaft is too hard to see. I was looking on autozone's site for u joints and it has a listing for either 2 joint or 3 joint shaft when choosing the u joint.

Can someone tell me what I need to look for in order to know which one I have? I have no lift or custom shaft if that helps any. I can see the shield at the rear of the shaft, but there is enough snow faked around it to start a snocone shack. I thought we would go ahead and put new joints in because the front joint looks pretty dried up, even though it still takes grease.

This is the first time in years that the hubs have been locked in and the front shaft used. The last owner just left her sitting for several years and never used the 4wd. That's why I am hoping to either swap the u joints or possibly pull the hubs and grease them up good.

Thanks for any advice here.
Chris

Last edited by acicomp; 12-27-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Misspelled words
Old 12-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Before you go replacing u joints try greesing you drive shaft. Since you don't use it it may just need lubed. Autozone ujoints are not as strong as OEM.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:35 AM

I'll probably get the new joints from Napa, but was looking at the zone site earlier for some rough pricing. We were able to grease the front joint and shaft, but couldn't get enough snow cleared from the shield in the rear of the front shaft to get to the fitting. The front joint looked pretty rough but I had no movement in it. I guess it could be locked up. I may wait for a warmer day to fight it.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I would be willing to bet the joints are just dry. The CV joint has 3 zerks, the single has one, you shaft may have one on it too. My shafts are modified. I notice vibes when I neglect my shafts.

Congrats on the snow, we had our fingers crossed.

OEM is stronger than Napa and of course much more costly. Have read like $75 a piece.

Last edited by dropzone; 12-27-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: merged posts
Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 AM

As it stands, I finally got to rear zerks on the front shaft today and greased everything up. Five in all on between the joints and the shaft. Still have the vibration, so I am thinking that I may have some bad u joints. I think I will replace the u joints the first of next week and be done with it... I hope... There's no buildup on the shaft that could be causing a weight balance issue, so I am hoping the shaft is still good to go and not out of balance or anything.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:21 AM

I did notice today that when the hubs are unlocked and I put it "4Hi" I get the same vibration.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
before you start replacing stuff answer these questions.

Does it only do it when the hubs are locked?

Does it still vibrate if you REMOVE the front drive-shaft?

no need to replace the u-joints if they're not the problem.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:03 AM

I have the exact same problem. I already had my rear driver shaft rebuilt. I used my 4wd in the snow storm we just had and the front u joint clunks and vibrates just like the rears did. I'm going to take it in for a rebuild. The rear cost me $125.00 for two u joints new yoke.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:20 AM

Does it only do it when the hubs are locked?
Yes and No... If the hubs are locked and in 2 wheel drive it does it. If the hubs are locked and I put it in 4Hi, it will do it as well.

Does it still vibrate if you REMOVE the front drive-shaft? I took the shaft loose from the diff and wired it up so I could drive the truck. With the shaft disconnected from the front diff and the hubs locked in, it drives smooth and has no vibration.

From what I can tell, the vibration only happens when the drive shaft is moving. The weight is on the drive shaft as well and hasn't been thrown off or anything.

I would venture to say that the 4wd hasn't been used in years on the truck and by looking at the u joints, they haven't been greased in years either. I am starting to wonder if dry-rot has just killed the joints.

Ah... Richf, I see your just over the way in Moyock. Did you all get a good snow over there?
Old 12-30-2010, 12:54 PM

Ya we got the snow. Not as bad as most but we got it.

I have not yet taken the drive shaft off but I'll put money on it being the culprit. I'm going to take it out tomorrow and trouble shoot. Pretty much if I put it in 4wd it will vibrate. I tried it with and with out the hubs locked also just to make sure nothing inside them was broken and still got the vibration.

My local shop rebuilt my rear drive shaft in 3 hours, so I'll take it there tomorrow if they are open.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:29 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Do you have movement in your front driveshaft telling you a joint is bad.

If this has not been used for years no telling what might be wrong.

Of course it never hurts to change u-joints.

I am curious what data you use to say which u-joints are better
Old 01-04-2011, 06:16 AM

I just pulled the front shaft and it looks like the CV joint is bad. The ball in the middle looks shot and has a rattle to it. I also put it in 4wd and the sound/vibration is gone. I'll let you guys know what happens when I get it back from the drive line shop.