Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Tune up review - Air, Spark, Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tune up review - Air, Spark, Fuel

I would like to start this tread with a question. What spark plug would you consider ideal for your 4Runner?

What other tuneup practices would you add to the list below? Thank you.

Fuel cleaner additive (Techron concentrate plus, BG-44k, Seafoam) (three top sellers at our local parts store)

Filters- Oil, fuel and air (Purolator, Wix) (I've been relying on Purolator for reliability, performance and price for many years)

Spark plugs (Denso, NGK) (zach@sparkplugs.com did a review on "Finewire Plugs" in the "Maintenance & Repair" section)

Wires (Denso, NGK)

distributor cap and rotor

Check timing

Air flow meter cleaned (CRC brand Mass air flow cleaner)

Intake Air Chamber and throttle body cleaned (Seafoam or other fogging solution) (This can greatly help your millage and tuning. There is a LOT of carbon buildup in there that can and will eventually affect power, millage and dependability)

O2 sensors (NTK, Denso)

Catalytic Converter (while some have cleaned them; if more than 120k old and in a corrosive climate, it may be time to consider replacing)

Check engine light (if overlooked this can be disastrous, or not) (check it!)

Tire pressure (correct psi equals better safety. A higher pressure can also benefit you in millage)

Drive line and Tire Sizes (If you messed with these it can affect your millage)

I, personally, would like to see some of your replies as what you would recommend for spark plugs. Plugs should not be over looked and can not be over stated. These little guys have to be built perfect for the duty they are expected to do time and time again. They can be expensive and you really don't want the hassle to replace them often.

My 4Runner is a 2000 Limited, 3.4L automatic. This vehicle recommends a Dual-electrode spark plug. The reason basically is for longevity and dependability. However, manufacturers' vehicles that don't recommend these type of plugs say that using them may cause the engine to run poorly. Well. Not all Toyotas use them. I just might stick with what Toyota recommends and replace them with duals again. Anyone care to explain why a person might consider a single grounded plug (like a single fine wire plug) instead of a dual electrode ground plug?

thanks again.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plug options

p.s
Here are some of the plugs that the local parts store recommends.

NGK Laser series Platinum BKR5EKPB .044 GAP 3year replacement if defective $10.09@

NGK V-Power BKR5E-11 .044 GAP 1year warr. $2.09@

NGK G-Power Single Platinum BKR5EGP .044 GAP 1year $3.09

Denso Iridium Power (worlds smallest center electrode at .4mm Dia.) 90 day warr. $8.49@

Denso Platinum TT .040 GAP 90 day warr. $2.99@

I think I'd do the Denso Iridium Power or the NGK Laser series Platinum since they are a dual ground plug.
...your thoughts?