Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Spartan Locker concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 02:34 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Hi rokblok---
Yes, the power pin that goes thru the center of the case has a camming action with the egg shaped holes in the Spartans. There is a possibility that the clunks and bangs you are experiencing are "typical" for a manual transmission. Your driving input can effect it for the worse.
Auto tranny and the clunks seem to go away. Personnal experience myself with a couple Jeeps I used to have with Detroit in the back and auto trannies. Autos keep a constant pressure on the cams in parking lots and gas stations.
Moving the Spartan to the front will be much better. On the trail you will have somewhat stiffer steering of course but you probably will never ever hear the locker....strange how that works.
Looking forward to doing another write-up on another TJM install By the way, I just went on a trail ride with the other guy that I did the TJM in the rear of his T100 and it's working perfect. No air leaks like some OTHER lockers
Old 02-20-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the fast food drive thru this morn, easing around the corner to pull up to the window, the guy behind me pulls up pretty close just as I stopped. I hear--BANG!! He asked if he had hit me... I told him, " No, just my locker released."

That's how loud it is. Lol.

Im sure the manual trans is amplifying the release. Now at stop light/signs, I have to ease out on the clutch to get pressure on the gears before I go.

Hopefully I can do the TJM sooner rather than later. You can't go fishing until it's done....
Old 02-21-2014, 11:51 AM
ZUK

Ya, I won't go fishing. I'm probably going to set up a little indoor station where I can do installs in my living room.....you know, you can do that when you're single.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rokblok
In the fast food drive thru this morn, easing around the corner to pull up to the window, the guy behind me pulls up pretty close just as I stopped. I hear--BANG!! He asked if he had hit me... I told him, " No, just my locker released."

That's how loud it is. Lol.

Im sure the manual trans is amplifying the release. Now at stop light/signs, I have to ease out on the clutch to get pressure on the gears before I go.

Hopefully I can do the TJM sooner rather than later. You can't go fishing until it's done....
I installed my Spartans, front and rear, about 3 years ago. 85 truck w/shell, 33's, 4.10's, 5-speed. Other than ratcheting I never heard a bang. I installed 4.88's 8 months ago and am now experiencing exactly the same scenarios as you. Is it the deeper gears ??? I don't know. I even pulled my third twice for inspection and found nothing out of the ordinary.

I've heard comments that the teeth edges need to wear a bit to soften the disengagement of the locker. Who knows.....

I'm going with the "it's normal" for now....... and changed my driving style when negotiating tight turns.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:33 PM

how long have you had it in? I just got a Spartan today and it had a note with it that reads:" Spartan lockers often require a brief 'break-in' period after installation before operation becomes normal. during the break-in period, some louder than usual "popping" from the differential can be expected. this popping sound should subside after a few miles of use."
Old 02-21-2014, 05:40 PM

Well, it now has 2,000 miles on it. Drove home to Tenn from Miami, and realized I could have saved a bit of money...

Here is the situation... Got on the freeway, no problems, first fuel stop no problems, second fuel stop required a little right hand turn to get into the station. And I was coasting into the drive, to let it ratchet, well no bueno... This thing is now a spool. Locked solid as far as I can tell. Nothing I can do will make it ratchet or release. Power/no power/coast/accel/decel/circles/reverse, etc... I just have to force it and listen to my tires scrape and chirp wherever I go. Yay... I could have just bought a spool for less money.

Any clues or suggestions?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:41 PM
ZUK

Hey Rokblok---
Just saw your post.....it sounds like something was not put together right......Want to send it to me and I will diagnose it?....Chandler AZ 85225

Last edited by ZUK; 03-07-2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-07-2014, 06:56 PM

Hey Zuk, it finally unlocked with a violent shove to the side and made me go sideways a little. But it seems to be doing ok. I will still be sending it to you, I just have a job for a few weeks, in South Fla. And I had new bearings put on my factory 4.88 so that I can swap it out when I get back home. Then hopefully I can send you the V6 4.56 diff I have and put the ProLocker in it, and have you check out this Spartan for installation in the front.
Old 07-23-2023, 09:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xcfunrunner
I recently installed a spartan locker as per Zuk's suggestion. I will tell you this, I have a V6 3rd gen 4Runner with a 5 speed. I can definitely hear the locker click when coasting around corners. It sometimes doesn't want to unload for a while even after I throw it in neutral and I made sure I look out the thrust washers. I will then violently unload and cause a lot of noise (I get a LOT of looks because of it). But for the most part, it is perfectly behaved. Freeway driving it acts just like an open diff. I only notice it in parking lots and gas stations. I always have to make sure I have a run way in front of me so I can build speed then coast around and let it unload. For reference, I run AMSOIL full synthetic 75-90 I believe.
When yiu installed ur locker and started pushing ur axles back in,to put on those 4 nuts that holds the axle in,did it stick out about a16th further than it did before? Like my axles didnt slide in as far. They liked about a 1/16th of an inch from slideing in all the way. But i was able to put on those four nuts and thighten them up and it pushed the axle in the rest of the way. Where usually without a locker,they will slide all the way in and there is no gap on that backing plate where those four studs are that bolt up to the axle houseing?
Old 07-23-2023, 09:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ZUK
Ya, I won't go fishing. I'm probably going to set up a little indoor station where I can do installs in my living room.....you know, you can do that when you're single.
Hi, i just installed a spartan locker in the rear of my 91 toyota pickup. My question is, does the locker make the axles stick out a hair farther than without the locker? When i slid my axles back in to put on those four nuts, the backing plate liked a 1/16 from touching the axle housing. I was able to chinch it up when i thightened those 4 nuts,but i know when i slide the axles in,without the locker,they slide all the way in till that backing plate with the studs touch the axle housing,then i just put on the nuts and tighten them. Have you ran into this on a toyota ,after installing a spartan in the rear?
PS i know what you mean about being single . Three years ago i rebuilt my motor in my living room on an engine stand,and back in april,i rebuilt two ranger 900 motors in my dining area on a engie stand. No need for a kitchen table,so plenty of room and tile floor. And two weeks ago, i rebuilt my r150f tranny in the same area. Its great to have tv and ac when doing this stuff.

Last edited by Yotainmyblood; 07-23-2023 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:00 AM

The unloading bang, is loud enough that people notice and stare. I defiantly can't sneak up on anybody on pavement

Last edited by ElbertMccarthy; 10-12-2023 at 10:17 AM.