Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Shackles, shackles, shackles!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
holy crap, man. i can't believe you're going to roll with those frankenstein stock shackles.

i had those hot rod style shackles when i got my truck. it turned out they were making the whole back of the truck shake at highway speed. i got some thick shackles at stock length, with greaseable bolts. it rides much better.

i have the OME leafs. they are a 2" lift. the catch is, you have to use them with your stock length shackle. otherwise, the geometry is way off.

if you can't afford replacing the leafs and putting in decent quality shackles, then do the ZUK mod. you'll be getting extra support from the springs, and have the same geometry as the stock springs and shackles. oh wait, you just cut them up, didn't you. hmm.

a slightly longer spring while doing the zuk mod could make up for it. but if you have metal skills, just whip up some better stock length shackles. get your lift from the springs, not the shackles.

good luck
Old 06-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no he didnt cut his shackles up i did, and it worked perfectly! Their basically the same thing as lift shackles you would pay upwards of 100 bucks for except for i made them myself! haha but yeah since i put them on 100% satified with the flex, road driving, and stance of my springs all together!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Just made these last weekend, I think they came out great. 1/4" stainless steel plate with 1-5/16" stainless tubing tig welded for cross support. My springs are no where near flat & I already have an AAL, just going to use them to get me by for a couple months untill I can afford something better.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:46 PM

heres some pics of them on the truck.

This is what i came from shackle wise.

in my opinion deffinately a improvement!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:48 PM

yotarob2005 those look real nice!! i wouldnt even buy new ones! haha but for real if you can get some new bushings and bolts for those you would be set to go. just grease up the bolts!! looking good tho.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by blueyota38
yotarob2005 those look real nice!! i wouldnt even buy new ones! haha but for real if you can get some new bushings and bolts for those you would be set to go. just grease up the bolts!! looking good tho.
2 steps ahead of you man! ordered new bushings from Napa today & already got new grade 8 hardware. I am also planing on drilling & tapping a hole for a grease zert. Should have them installed tomorrow!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:05 PM

the ass looks a lil high for that deathtrap
Old 06-07-2010, 03:09 PM

thats awesome man! and saving money in the mean time! haha i didnt actually use a grease zert on mine, just greased up my bushings and shaft real good but its nice to see im not the only person making this feet. haha heres some flex pics.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:11 PM

all i can say is yikes.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 PM

Well yall can set there an say how unsafe it is and how you wouldnt do it. but it dont matter!!! i tryed it an it worked fine! i believe if they were gonna break they would have today from me flexing!!!!! many times was 3 wheeling and scrubbing fender well with the tires!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:04 AM

vibration from the road is a whole different animal than stress from fexing bro...

them s are gonna break at 60 mph and send your ass flying off the road into a tree...
Old 06-08-2010, 07:17 AM

Hey man, were not trying to hate on you, we just don't want to see anybody get hurt. If you had the skills to cut and weld those stockers back together, than i would say that you have the skills to make a complete new set. To me makiing a new set seems like it would have been easier.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by skunkwhat
Hey man, were not trying to hate on you, we just don't want to see anybody get hurt. If you had the skills to cut and weld those stockers back together, than i would say that you have the skills to make a complete new set. To me makiing a new set seems like it would have been easier.

I agree with this!

Trust me, I am all about making parts for my rig & I know all about trying to save money where you can, but I think you should take you shackles back to the drawing board & make the from scratch, with stronger material.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:32 PM

i realize yall are not tryin to hate me or any of that stuff but imma still run what i made! I realize with anything i make there is a chance of failure. but the way i loook at it is if a weld cracks the coresponding weld on the other side has a more likely chance of breaking but is not likely to break at the same time! but they are not gonna break. ive been drivin them around for a half of a week or so an have been running highway speeds and what not, on a road thats having work done to it so it is very bumpy, and there are no problems. The material is thicker and sturdier than you all think, the pics dont do them justice! just sayin
Old 06-08-2010, 05:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
mmmhhh.. atleast your happy!

imo its just better to buy some parts rather then trying to brew your own.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
imo its just better to buy some parts rather then trying to brew your own.
I'm not saying that I would trust his shackles, but I don't agree with your statement either. Home brewed parts can be just as good if not better depending on how you make them & weather or not you know what you are doing. Not everyone can afford to run out & buy all new parts. And I think it is safe to say that some part manufactures outsource there stuff to China & cut corners with cheap materials.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
oh no doubt, i guess i shoulda been a bit more specific.. for me its better to buy some parts rather than to make your own... it really depends what your going to make..
Old 06-14-2010, 03:51 PM

update, shackles still crack free and solid after a week or so of country potholes and highway driving!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:53 PM

Thats some good news right there. Looks likes its working out good for you.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Glad you can weld well and have a certificate. My sheep skins and certs say your engineering still sucks.

Just because you CAN do, it doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Buy some new shackles or build some new ones please.

Booty fab is "janky", stupid and dangerous.

i've said it before and i'll say it again...
Originally Posted by Tofer
can it be done? yes. but at the same time i can run down the freeway naked banging pots and pans together..... doesnt mean its safe for me or those around me nor should i do it

Quick Reply: Shackles, shackles, shackles!!!!!