Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Repowering 91 yota 4x4 with 1977 20r engine.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repowering 91 yota 4x4 with 1977 20r engine.

Okay so i own a 1991 toyota 4x4 pickup. I've replaced the motor a couple times, i've worked on a 22r before a bit, but im still a newbie. So i've replaced the motor, got everything hooked up. I've still got a few things todo though. I'd like to get the experts opinion on a couple things. Could having the crossmember bolts loose, letting the tranny drop a inch, cause the flywheel to grind on the starter, i'm having a grinding noise sometimes when i try starting after it starts to idle , horrible metal on metal noise from starter. Already burnt through one starter, the one i have is old, but it fits and works , just doesnt look like the gear retracts like the one i had before. I got the truck to idle when pouring gas down the carb, just when i got it all tuned in somewhat were it would idle, my electrical fuel pump stopped working on me, so i ordered one off ebay should be here in a few days, got a regulator set at 1.5-2. Stock carb btw, emissions are plugged just got a few hookedup prolly hooked up wrong. i got the dist vaccum adv, brake booster, and i tried to hookup a few of the vaccums off a diagram i seen for a 79 20r but i think i need some T fittings to connect a couple spots still. The heater hose setup i got is questionable, i did the one hose from the timing cover to the same spot as it was before, but the heater core one is plugged because i got no where for it togo, unless i hook it up to the egr plate on the carb and idk if thats okay? it wont flood the engine with water will it? I believe the truck isnt far off from running but hopefully thats not wishful thinking, its a old motor but i've heard they're tuff. Anyway enough of my ranting, lets hear what yall think. I did take the carb apart and clean it all out mostly. also grinding noise when i pushed in clutch , if i used my no clutch start button, no noise at all. started and idled wonderful. I did draw my motor and tranny together with bolts which i've read is bad. I'm thinking i might drop the tranny and replace the pilot bearing maybe even the flywheel and clutch, i've already done a throughout bearing. Just trying to get her on the road.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow! This will be fun! What's your location? Somebody needs to visit this poor fella... There's a lot going on here...
Old 09-09-2012, 05:14 AM

forgot to mention this is a celica motor, didnt come with spot on head for mech fuel pump, hence the electrical one, had to swap oilpan to 4x4 to get it to clear the front axle. I believe i can get it running, just a matter of getting everything in order, hoping i dont have to drop the tranny, gonna try tightening crossmember bolts, i had them dropped so i could get top motor mount bolts and forgot to tighten them, kinda gettin ahead of myself. I think the newer style 22re starter is what i need, and maybe a pilot bearing im gonna try to get it to run to the best of my abilities, if i end up having to drop the tranny then thats what ill do.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 PM

Bump, waitin on fuel pump to arrive, then im gonna wire it to a relay like i read in a post on here, then ill tighten the cross member see if it helps the grinding noise at all. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Could use a second opinion
Old 09-10-2012, 04:10 PM

horrible grinding noise from tranny when i press in clutch, clutch pedal still feels weak. Tightened crossmember, grinding noise still there. New starter time once i get some extra cash.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Why do you keep having to change engines??

It might be nice to let us know where you live???

Having your crossmember loose should not effect how the starter engages the flywheel.

If all the bell housing bolts were in and tight . The wrong clutch parts or release bearing might be causing your grinding noise or the transmission itself

would it not be better to know just what is wrong before replacing parts.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 PM

Original 22re in it lower end went out, replaced it with 22r, two weeks later rod bearing went out. Never worked on internal engine parts before jus peiced engines together. I live in washington state near oregon border. Clutch and tranny were fine with previous engines. Maybe i didnt get clutch aligned properly.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:23 PM

I really do believe that its clutch or starter related, not excited about dropping the tranny tho. Sounds like the starter catching the flywheel and just eating at the teeth.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:03 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It could be a bad starter drive.

Before dropping the transmission you might want to look at the starter.

If the clutch was not lined up the transmission would not go through the splines.

It could be the clutch still has air in the line.

You might have the wrong clutch release bearing or other parts.

from what you said it sounds like a starter problem and clutch problem Which flywheel and clutch are you using?? From what vehicle??

Is the starter for the flywheel.

Bottom line these parts all work somewhat together does not take much to throw it all out of alignment .
Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 AM

Bad starter drive sounds about right. And air in clutch lines sounds right also. When i opened the resivoir there was some sludgy stuff stuck at the bottom i cleaned it out best i could, is there a way to clean the system, i tried just dumping some through and bleeding it a bit. I believe i have the right parts, maybe except the starter, because all the same parts were working prior on the old 22r. Flywheel is off the 77 celica motor, but looks same as the others i've had. Clutch is one i had around from NAPA. I believe if i got the system bled out good and maybe a different starter then i wouldnt get the grinding noise.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:08 PM

Okay so some good news, got it running and driving, no more grinding noise, threw a new electric fuel pump in it, clutch isnt bled very good but i can get it to shift into gear, now the problem is theres no power, full throttle gets me goin about 15 mph. I think its timing related maybe, could use some advice. Excited i got it moving, but now i wanna get it really moving thanks yotatech