Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Please help me figure out the wiring from the VR to the alternator.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help me figure out the wiring from the VR to the alternator.

I realize this is for a forklift, but I cant find ANY info for it anywhere, and this looks like an old Toyota truck engine. If I've got this in the wrong place, please let me know.

Ok, so we have an old Toyota forklift in the shop here that had a massive charging system failure and the Alt/VR went out. My forklift has no serial number on it (grinded off, thanks a lot). The wiring harness is also messed up, so I've managed to isolate the wires going to the VR.

I've got 1 switched 12V lead, the lamp lead (also switched) and a constant 12V

We have an additional harness that branches off the VR plug that sends three wires to the alt. terminals.

The replacement VR we have is an Elecman DNC12-2 and the alternator has a three pin plug on the back. The pins are F, F, and N.

I would guess that the two F's are for an isolated field coil circuit while the N is an isolated ground. There is also the B post for the charge back to the battery.

The voltage regulator has a 6 pin harness, three wires going in and (I assume) three wires going to the alternator. Anyone got an idea of how to rig this thing up? I don't need to hook it up wrong and blow the coils.

SOmeone suggested i use a 1970-up Dodge 2 wire VR, but I'd also need to know the polarity of the diodes in the alt. How do I figure that out?
Attached Images