Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Oil consumption problems PLEASE HELP....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil consumption problems PLEASE HELP....

I bought the truck with 86,500 original miles, I know this because all of the documentation the One Owner supplied me with, drove it 500 miles home and gave it an oil change with 87k. The thing runs amazing, engine sounds great, runs strong, however I just checked the oil with 89k just to see where it was. I had no concerns because the way it ran but low and behold a quart and a half low There is a little smoke in the morning when I start it up but goes away when it gets warm. All my cars do that, I live in Michigan and it gets cold here. There is no evidence of splattered oil coming out of the exhaust. Where is my oil going? Please help.

Last edited by Langeb75; 09-29-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Old engines just burn oil after time. Just monitor the oil consumption and keep running it until it starts to lag in power/performance.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:47 PM

Possible problems - Rear main seal leaking in bell housing, check the color of your coolant if its dark like chocolate its leaking in the coolant. If you have a overwhelming exhaust smell its burning up with the gas if thats the case there chould be gas in the oil pan.

Nice runner btw!

Last edited by jortiz2110; 09-29-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:50 PM

I know the motor is old but it has really low miles. Even if I have to add a couple quarts between oil changes this is ok? This seems a lot to me. It runs awesome but I have never had an oil consumption problem with any of my vehicles and I have a little OCD when it comes to this stuff. I want my engine with no problems if you follow me. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by jortiz2110
Possible problems - Rear main seal leaking in bell housing, check the color of your coolant if its dark like chocolate its leaking in the coolant. If you have a overwhelming exhaust smell its burning up with the gas if thats the case there chould be gas in the oil pan.

Nice runner btw!

Thanks, I checked my coolant, hasn't increased, decreased or changed in color. Doesn't smell out of the exhaust at all. What gives????
Old 09-29-2009, 05:55 PM

There is another possibility, one or more of the valves arent sealed anymore and the oil is leaking in.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:56 PM

Didn't mean to do this. I am new so I am trying to figure out how to reply to peoples help. Thanks for the patience.

Last edited by Langeb75; 09-29-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Nice runner btw!
There is another possibility, one or more of the valves arent sealed anymore and the oil is leaking in.

Any Suggestions? I did read about this.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Langeb75
Any Suggestions? I did read about this.

I was planning on replacing the head with a performance head from LC Engineering but didn't want to do this for a while. If it is a valve not seating correctly is there a way to fix this without costly repairs?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:03 PM

I dont know how long this trcuk sat or how often the oil was changed but you do know about drain back holes in the cylinder head sometimes these can become ssludged up and the oil can just be sitting slowly draining back into the system. How is the oil pressure? Last oil change about how much oil drained out?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:04 PM

If you plan on replacing the heads I would just stick with the issue for awhile until you tear into the motor, this way you can take care of it all at once
Old 09-29-2009, 06:08 PM

I dont know how long this trcuk sat or how often the oil was changed but you do know about drain back holes in the cylinder head sometimes these can become ssludged up and the oil can just be sitting slowly draining back into the system. How is the oil pressure? Last oil change about how much oil drained out?

I don't recall how much oil came out when I gave it an oil change. This was the first time I did it so I really didn't pay attention. I do understand about the drain back holes. My oil pressure is fantastic!
Old 09-29-2009, 06:13 PM

next time you do an oil change see how much drains out and also try to see if there is a high gas smell.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:13 PM

How do I put my trucks picture under my username like you?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Langeb75
How do I put my trucks picture under my username like you?
Clcik on user CP and than edit profile picture. Either upload one from your pc or link it to a url
Old 09-29-2009, 07:44 PM

For the amount of oil that your engine consumed in 2000 miles, your spark plugs will tell the story. Check to see if all plugs have oil deposits or only a few have oil deposits. Check the crankcase ventilation system, make sure nothing is plugged or leaking. If the truck has sat for a long time, the rings may need to seat again. Or the valve seal may be hard and brittle. A way to check valve seals is to drive down a long hill using only the engine compression to hold you back, once you reach the bottom accelerate and check to see if there is a cloud of smoke. May want someone behind you to watch for smoke when you accelerate. Re seating the rings can be difficult. Toyota uses a lot of nickel in the iron so the blocks are hard. About the only way you could try to seat the rings is to get the pistons hot by working the engine hard and let it cool slowly by driving it easy after working it hard. May need to repeat this process a few times. There are also additives you can use to help seat the rings, but I'm not a huge fan of additives. Another way to diagnose were your oil is going is a leak down test. This would be a for sure diagnosis, if you have the tool. You would need a air compressor and a leak down tool. A compression test could be miss leading, if there is a lot of oil in the cylinder the compression may read high. If the compression is equally low then I would say rings. I've rambled on long enough, good luck.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by willd2264
For the amount of oil that your engine consumed in 2000 miles, your spark plugs will tell the story. Check to see if all plugs have oil deposits or only a few have oil deposits. Check the crankcase ventilation system, make sure nothing is plugged or leaking. If the truck has sat for a long time, the rings may need to seat again. Or the valve seal may be hard and brittle. A way to check valve seals is to drive down a long hill using only the engine compression to hold you back, once you reach the bottom accelerate and check to see if there is a cloud of smoke. May want someone behind you to watch for smoke when you accelerate. Re seating the rings can be difficult. Toyota uses a lot of nickel in the iron so the blocks are hard. About the only way you could try to seat the rings is to get the pistons hot by working the engine hard and let it cool slowly by driving it easy after working it hard. May need to repeat this process a few times. There are also additives you can use to help seat the rings, but I'm not a huge fan of additives. Another way to diagnose were your oil is going is a leak down test. This would be a for sure diagnosis, if you have the tool. You would need a air compressor and a leak down tool. A compression test could be miss leading, if there is a lot of oil in the cylinder the compression may read high. If the compression is equally low then I would say rings. I've rambled on long enough, good luck.

Thanks for rambling on you gave me some great information. How do I check the crankcase ventilation system?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:59 PM

I drove down the road with my back window down and did smell a pungint, probably mispelled that, odor. If the PCV valve is bad would that allow oil into my intake? I tried to change that stinkin thing and I cant get it out. HOW DO I GET IT OUT The runner did sit for a few years so this could have messed up the rings and or valves, huh? I love the way it runs so this saddens me. A reputable Toyota service technition told me to put Marvels Mystery Oil in my gas and oil. I drained a quart of oil out of the pan, added a quart of MMO to the oil and to the gasoline as recommended by MMO. As I have read other blogs this worries me now because it sounds as if a lot of people don't like additives. Am I screwing my motor up more?

Last edited by Langeb75; 09-30-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 PM

Well that may help aswell. I think your PCV is in the same spot as mine Passengar side of motor on valve cover, I was going to do mine but I decided to wait since I will be replacing the valve cover gaskets at the same time.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
The pcv, you not reusing it so pry the bugger off, as for the oil, well just add a bit as you go. Clean the engine real good n see if there are signs of a leak down the road. Mines leaked from the oil pump forever. As far as adatives go, can't hurt in my opinion, its like a K&N, if you think its helping , then thats OK.
"Fahrvergnugen"