Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Noob to yotas has question about 3rd gen 4runner build.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob to yotas has question about 3rd gen 4runner build.

Hi all, Im new to toyotas, but I just finished building a stretched Jeep. (dont shoot ive learned my lesson with jeeps and Im jumping ship) Ive installed ARBs into solid axles without 3rd members, the hard way without adjustment nuts, built a custom long arm suspension, roll cage, exocage, and all that blah blah blah. So I know some things about fabrication but I consider myself to still be a newb. So Im thinking Im going to build a 3rd gen 4runner with a 3.4V6 auto. Imma chop the top, and do the normal chop/bob/relocate the rear glass frame behind the rear door. I know with my driving style I can run 38s-40s on solid V6 toyota axles with longfields and rarely break shafts. Ill be running hydro assist up front, and doing the typical toy front SAS swap up front/putting the rear springs up front, and 63" chev leafs in the rear. Also just welding my spiders, Ill just swap out my third members when they break. Ill do more trimming and stay with as little of lift as possible, and alot of down travel. Gonna try to get the WB at about 105-110"s. Then doing the dual Tcase mod.

So heres my questions.
1. What steering box do I need/setup do I need for steering?
2. Does anyone know where I can find a writeup on the homemade dual tcase setup useing two stock tcases?
3. How much am I looking at spending (just in mods) useing all my own tools, and buying everything I can used off CL? I can find a 4runner on CL for about 2-3k
4. Can anyone please inform me on anything Im missing that I will need to buy/build during this build?

Thanks again for any and all info you guys can provide.

Also if I posted in the wrong forum I apologize, please let me know and move this thread.

Last edited by ezalycasaid; 07-18-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do you install an ARB without a third member?
Old 07-19-2012, 05:18 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
3rd gen 4 Runner has coils in the rear so RUF won't work.

1. 86-95 IFS box or LC box
2. Dual case adapters all come with instructions.
3. $10k
4. Search. Read. Read some more. Take a nap. Read it again.

Good luck.

:wabbit2:
Old 07-19-2012, 05:18 AM

Location: Camp Pendleton, CA. but am originally from Sisters, Oregon.
exhaust system for 2000 4runner SR5.

Good evening All,
I recently bought a 2000 4Runner for an amazingly low price, the only catch is the previous owner was a complete idiot and had clipped the cable for the spare tire mount under the vic, and at one point in time had ran over a, possibly many, very large rocks and had punctured holes in the entire exhaust system. These holes are now very large and completely rusted through. I can feel a serious lack of power when I accelerate, especially on the highway, and my gas mileage has plummeted. Im hoping this could all be fixed with a new exhaust system... any advice? Also any members in Oregon who could recommend a good shop to get work done at? I would attempt to do it myself but I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and need my 4Runner to be in strong running condition by the time I get home to make the drive back down to Camp Pendleton, Ca.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by rokblok
you don't....
Old 07-19-2012, 06:10 PM

Where can you find a 3rd gen for 2-3k?? Or "how" should I say. . .

Last edited by StewsRunner; 07-19-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:27 PM

longfields on a V6 front axle?!?! someone know something I don't? I don't know if you are going to be able to do what you want very easily on a 3rd gen but you need to read more. There was never a V6 solid front axle. You need the front axle off of a pre 86 pickup or 4runner which is an I4. You could also do well using an FJ60 axle or maybe an FJZ80 axle if the offset diff isn't going to mess with you and the width is okay. I don't know much about suspension setup for 3rd gens but I do know for 2nd gens we use wab fabs sas kit that might be able to be adapted for a third gens I donno. you are headed in the right direction with the internal components though. Why do you need hydro assist? You might be surprised what the stock gearbox can do. 1: no idea 2: get wab fabs with instructions 3: depends on the parts but truthfully it would probably be cheaper to just buy a 1st or second gen and fix that up. 4: you are going to want to search around merlin crawlers and wab fab also read...
Old 07-19-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by DocChase0608
Good evening All,
I recently bought a 2000 4Runner for an amazingly low price, the only catch is the previous owner was a complete idiot and had clipped the cable for the spare tire mount under the vic, and at one point in time had ran over a, possibly many, very large rocks and had punctured holes in the entire exhaust system. These holes are now very large and completely rusted through. I can feel a serious lack of power when I accelerate, especially on the highway, and my gas mileage has plummeted. Im hoping this could all be fixed with a new exhaust system... any advice? Also any members in Oregon who could recommend a good shop to get work done at? I would attempt to do it myself but I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and need my 4Runner to be in strong running condition by the time I get home to make the drive back down to Camp Pendleton, Ca.
holes shouldn't be causing that unless if they are before the O2 sensor. if they aren't before the O2 sensor I have no idea. that is not enough info for any of us to get a very good idea on what is wrong. you might want to just take it to a shop and have them look at it and fix it if you need it when you are back home. the cable shouldn't be that expensive if you can find one on a junkyard 4runner but toyota always would sell them too.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by StewsRunner
Where can you find a 3rd gen for 2-3k?? Or "how" should I say. . .
crags list maybe... definitely a 2nd gen for 2-3 K in the west but I don't know about a 3rd.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by rokblok
Jeeps dont have "third members" they have the entire pumpkin as one solid piece. The only thing u can remove to install the arb is the carrier from the solid axle. U cant just unbolt the third member with the pinion and carrier all in one. You have to install each component in steps while the diff and tubes are one piece. Ive found a few 3rd gens here on craigslist if, the 3rd gen 4 runners are the 96-2002 models. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by ezalycasaid; 07-19-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by nathanmyers
longfields on a V6 front axle?!?! someone know something I don't? I don't know if you are going to be able to do what you want very easily on a 3rd gen but you need to read more. There was never a V6 solid front axle. You need the front axle off of a pre 86 pickup or 4runner which is an I4. You could also do well using an FJ60 axle or maybe an FJZ80 axle if the offset diff isn't going to mess with you and the width is okay. I don't know much about suspension setup for 3rd gens but I do know for 2nd gens we use wab fabs sas kit that might be able to be adapted for a third gens I donno. you are headed in the right direction with the internal components though. Why do you need hydro assist? You might be surprised what the stock gearbox can do. 1: no idea 2: get wab fabs with instructions 3: depends on the parts but truthfully it would probably be cheaper to just buy a 1st or second gen and fix that up. 4: you are going to want to search around merlin crawlers and wab fab also read...

Thanks for the info. Ive been wheeling with someone whos done the swaps im talking about. Hes at about 4k with the price of the vehicle, and a 4.3 swap. Ive seen how much he goes through with welded diffs and an OEM steering box, lol armstrong power gets old. I didnt know that there wasnt a v6 solid front. I appreciate the info. Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
3rd gen 4 Runner has coils in the rear so RUF won't work.

1. 86-95 IFS box or LC box
2. Dual case adapters all come with instructions.
3. $10k
4. Search. Read. Read some more. Take a nap. Read it again.

Good luck.

:wabbit2:

Thanks for the info. Your site will probobly be hearing from me soon for some parts, and swap kits.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by ezalycasaid
Jeeps dont have "third members" they have the entire pumpkin as one solid piece. The only thing u can remove to install the arb is the carrier from the solid axle. U cant just unbolt the third member with the pinion and carrier all in one. You have to install each component in steps while the diff and tubes are one piece. Ive found a few 3rd gens here on craigslist if, the 3rd gen 4 runners are the 96-2002 models. I could be wrong though.
3rd gens are the 96-2002 models. If you want to do an SAS conversion though the 2nd gens are a much better bet. and I didn't know they didn't have third members. I haven't done much work to dana axles before.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the info. Ive been wheeling with someone whos done the swaps im talking about. Hes at about 4k with the price of the vehicle, and a 4.3 swap. Ive seen how much he goes through with welded diffs and an OEM steering box, lol armstrong power gets old. I didnt know that there wasnt a v6 solid front. I appreciate the info. Thanks again.
yea they changed from solid to IFS the same year they went from I4 to V6. that happened in 85 and that's why the 85 4runners and pickups are the one to buy they were the first year to have EFI on the 22re and the last for a solid axle. the OEM steering box is okay unless if you are running over about a 35... ish depends on what you are doing though. and yea welded diffs are not the strongest. throw in a spool at least but that's just me.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:55 PM

3rd gens are the 96-2002 models. If you want to do an SAS conversion though the 2nd gens are a much better bet. and I didn't know they didn't have third members. I haven't done much work to dana axles before.
Yeah those things are a pain in the c*ck to install. Ok good to know about the 2nd gens being better. I was wanting to go with the 3rd gen with the 3.4 for the extra power. Am I gonna run into any power issues with the I4 or 3.0 with 38" tires?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:02 PM

I drove my jeep wrangler tj (4.0L I6 with 4.88gears and 4.1tcase, 5k total weight on 37s and STOCK dana30 front axle shafts up front, with a locked diff for 2 years. Ive gone through billings and 21rd on the jeeps own power multiple times without snapping a single shaft) Wasnt hydro assist though. So I know I can run 38s on longfields and not snap um.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 PM

well I would go with the 3.0 if you can't do an engine swap. You might be able to find a 2nd gen with a 3.4 or chevy 350 swap if you are lucky. the 2nd gens just have more aftermarket parts directed toward the SAS. That's not saying that you can't do an SAS on a third gen it's just more practical to do it on a 2nd gen. If you get the 3.0 It's definitely not going to be fast but with 5.29 gears but it will get up to speed. eventually. Do you want coils or leafs? because if you are going coils you may as well just go 3rd gen but that's going to be nearly all custom work anyway.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 PM

I drove my jeep wrangler tj (4.0L I6 with 4.88gears and 4.1tcase, 5k total weight on 37s and STOCK dana30 front axle shafts up front, with a locked diff for 2 years. Ive gone through billings and 21rd on the jeeps own power multiple times without snapping a single shaft) Wasnt hydro assist though. So I know I can run 38s on longfields and not snap um.
My only question is how did you not snap them? that's incredible. on dana 30 shafts? wow. you must be lucky
Old 07-19-2012, 09:27 PM

well I would go with the 3.0 if you can't do an engine swap. You might be able to find a 2nd gen with a 3.4 or chevy 350 swap if you are lucky. the 2nd gens just have more aftermarket parts directed toward the SAS. That's not saying that you can't do an SAS on a third gen it's just more practical to do it on a 2nd gen. If you get the 3.0 It's definitely not going to be fast but with 5.29 gears but it will get up to speed. eventually. Do you want coils or leafs? because if you are going coils you may as well just go 3rd gen but that's going to be nearly all custom work an.yway.
Im not sure what Im doing now. Ive apparently mixed up alot of what was told to me about 3rd gen runners. With the amount of times the guy I wheel with has rolled his runner he may very well have bought a 2nd gen and put on a 3rd gen cab after the 5th time he rolled it. My whole reason to swapping over to toyota is to build a decent trail rig that comfortably seats 4 people and can still do billings/21rd. For under 5k total. I know 5.29 gears arent OEM, so thats 400 more bucks in gear swaps. Id like to stay with gears around 4.33-4.56s and just get my tcase low as I can so I can have decent speed and good crawl ratio but those are harder to find. I can find 4.10 gear thirds on cl around here for about 50bucks, so thatll probobly be the route I take. Which is another reason I want the 3.4. Im also just finding out that 3rd gens have coils, my jeeps suspension was coils so Im fimilar with that, and would probobly just build the same long arm setup as I had on my jeep in the rear and then leaf the front to keep it simple and cheap. I hated the coils/trackbar/4link/hiem HDsteering on the front of my jeep. It was way too cramped.
Is it possible to do the dual stock tcase mod on the 3rd gens without getting into some serious modifying ?

Im going to have to do some more research on the 3rd gens. I really appreciate all your help and info. Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 PM

My only question is how did you not snap them? that's incredible. on dana 30 shafts? wow. you must be lucky
Its not luck, its all about how u drive. You can hear when the engine bogs, you know how much to turn your wheels before ur ujoints bind, and you can feel when ur tires bounce. Once those things happen. STOP pushing the pedal. Most people just like to push their rig to its breaking points every trip out. I like to see how methodicly I can wheel and how cheap i can keep my trips and still make it through under its own power.

Quick Reply: Noob to yotas has question about 3rd gen 4runner build.