Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Noob carb and emissions questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob carb and emissions questions!

I'm getting to know my truck a little better after buying her about three weeks ago. Both doors open and the A/C works now, heh. Getting used to the way a short truck with a body lift drives- turning radius is amazing and this thing is so light and bouncy!

So getting into the dirty. I've taken the carbs out and am in the process of rebuilding. I'm somewhat familiar with motorcycle carbs, so thought these would be similar but daymn I have some learning to do! Here is my setup as far as I know it (what the previous owner told me, and what seems to check out when I'm in there).

It's an '87 22r 4wd IFS, and its a TRUCK!

Bored .030" over on a newly rebuilt motor with about 3k miles on it. Everything else has 180k miles. Carbs were not cleaned or tuned (hence one of my first projects. Pacesetter exhaust header. LC Engineering cam that is supposed to provide more torque (I was also told is emissions worthy). And it has no muffler yet.

I have two general questions that I would really appreciate the help on. The first is, while I'm in the carbs, should I be modifying or tuning them at all to accommodate the header/cam/bore? It dies when it's cold unless I hold the gas down a bit for 5 minutes or so. And by cold I mean Arizona cold which is like 60 degrees. It seems that it could do better, but it could just be me getting used to it, or it could be lack of back pressure from no muffler, etc. Should I know anything or be looking somewhere specific to start tuning these things? Or should I jump into a 38mm weber?

The second question: What am I looking at doing to make this thing emissions worthy? I have till next January, but also have this feeling that it won't pass. Muffler is probably on that list haha! This may relate to the first question a bit as far as gettting that weber carb....

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
if your worried about emissions don't even think about a weber. I just went through a fiasco with mine because of no EGR and PAIR which both must be disabled when installing the webers. No real tuning for the stock AISIN carb. Except the idle mix screw. Anything and everything you need to know about the factory carb can be found here: http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq/
Old 04-04-2011, 06:18 AM

I just passed emissions here in colorado with a weber 32/36. I rigged stuff up so they wouldn't notice though. Since you have so much time I would worry about the carb last. Get your exhaust done first, do some general maintenance (even if it was just rebuilt check timing, fuel filter etc) and then tune your carb.

Did the previous owner tell you why the incorrect motor is in your truck? And you keep referring to "carbs".... hopefully your truck only has one?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by crash121
Did the previous owner tell you why the incorrect motor is in your truck? And you keep referring to "carbs".... hopefully your truck only has one?
Ok, I'll look into replacing the carb later... And I suppose it is time for me to run through the general maintenance section of my Haynes. I kind of was starting this anyway, just wanted to get the carb cleaned. I think I have some power steering fluid seepage that needs some attending to.

Yes it only has one haha- Just habit from motorcycling to call the whole setup carbs.And yes, the owner bought the truck with a blown motor and had this one rebuilt and put in, which is the reason for the mismatch between truck/motor.

BTW how long you been in Fort Collins? I grew up in Loveland- looking to head back that way eventually...

Last edited by 7moore7; 04-04-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by 7moore7

BTW how long you been in Fort Collins? I grew up in Loveland- looking to head back that way eventually...
I've been here for about three years, I moved here from phoenix. I went to mmi and got a job wrenching on bikes here, so I moved.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:37 PM

Just rebuilt the carb with a kit and the damn thing purrs like never before! Made a world of difference, I think that the idle mixture screw was running too lean and the auto choke may have been off before and now it starts up first try and I don't need to hold the gas to keep it alive.

So, that issue kind of answered itself. Question is, should I try to put the weber 38 mm on there to get the most bang out of the upgrades or is that risking not passing emissions?