Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Newbie needs help. Coolant in oil possible timing chain issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needs help. Coolant in oil possible timing chain issue?

Well i am new to this site. I have a 1987 22ret 4x4 that ive had since i was 16 and i have done many modifications to fit my prerunner needs here is a couple pics of the truck.
Name:  P1000535.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  91.2 KB
Name:  8e938efc.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  123.6 KB
Lets get to my problem. Awhile ago i overheated the motor and warped the head. So i got a new head did all new gaskets went out to the desert and drove it and it ran good no problems but then it overheated 2 times but i was pushing it pretty good letting it cool down when temp went up. After i got home it was parked for awhile and when i finally drove it again i noticed some white smoke come out of the exhaust and i was losing alot of coolant but the truck ran fine with no lose of power and was not overheating. So i thought to myself great i either blew another head gasket, bought a bunk head, or i warped the block. When i checked the oil it was like a milkshake so i obviously new coolant was leaking into the oil. After doing some research i read that it was very common for the timing chain guides to break and the timing chain will rub threw the cover. So i pulled the timing chain cover and here is what i found
Name:  IMG_20130129_153714_470.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  72.4 KB
A crack where the water pump sits
Name:  IMG_20130129_155950_072.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  53.2 KB
Timing chain groves. The wierd thing is that the guides were not broken. So im guessing the chain is jumping or the was a previous issue from the old owner and he replaced the guides and chain but keep the same cover. I can not tell if the crack goes all the way threw to the groves but it looks like a pretty narly crack so im almost position this is the problem. I did not pressure check the head before pulling it which i really regret but i would really like your guys insight on if you think this is my problem? I already ordered a timing chain kit with cover but my dreams will be crushed if this is not the problem. Please give me your thoughts
Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The grooves appear to be old due to they are the same color as the surrounding cover. I presume it's been thoroughly cleaned. And the crack does look to have some seepage from something. I would guess its cracked all the way. But don't rule out that head gasket... Are you running head studs? If it were mine, and I was prerunning it, pushing it constantly, I would at least stud the head and high quality head gasket. Then again, I wouldn't be to keen on prerunning a 22RE(turbo included).

Last edited by rokblok; 02-06-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:20 PM

yes i cleaned it before i took the pic so i can see the crack better. No i do not have heads studs but they are brand new bolts. How common is it to have a warped block?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 AM

I just went though a nitemare of an ordeal that I guess is still happening until I get it all back together. Should be driving it by tomorrow (fingers crossed) 1988 22RE was overheating where coolant was coming through overflow and pushing out of radiator opening on start up. I was having overheating issues after replacing everything, including head gasket/head bolts. And I mean all cooling related..water pump, hoses, thermo, radiator, clutch fan etc. Made the mistake of not getting the old head pressure tested (dumb) to save money. So where I am now is if the head isn't what was cracked it's the block. Can't find any cracks on the head by visual inspection, but two cylinders show chalking from burning antifreeze. So I am assuming its bad with internal cracks. Also cannot find or see any cracks on the block.

I have spent hours and hours reading about cracked/warped blocks with not much luck before I pulled the trigger on a new complete head. From what I have found is that it is fairly rare and the mechanic I've spoken to says the same. Anyone in here please share cracked/warped block opinions if you have them. If you put on a used or old head without pressure testing that was a bad move. I'll never do that again on ANY vehicle haha.....

I got a complete new head with valves springs from Engnbldr....but I repeat do not ever skate by not pressure testing a used head before putting it back on. That's silly and I did it.

So IMO even if its timing chain issue if the head is off and you are putting it back on....take it to the machine shop for testing.

I'm not a mechanic, but these are my experiences/headaches.

Oh, and this place is awesome. Thanks for all the smart guys who help out on here.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
I know it's an older thread but anyway..

Yes that crack looks like it intersects the chain wear, just a spec/pixel at the bottom, it's not the best angle. There are two more cracks or other odditys below that also, and one of the lines up with the upper crack that is showing discoloration from something (likely flowing thru it).

You can pick up a penetrating dye test kit for these kinds of inspections.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
I know it's an older thread but anyway..

Yes that crack looks like it intersects the chain wear, just a spec/pixel at the bottom, it's not the best angle. There are two more cracks or other odditys below that also, and one of the lines up with the upper crack that is showing discoloration from something (likely flowing thru it).

You can pick up a penetrating dye test kit for these kinds of inspections.
Thanks for your response im really hoping that this is the problem i will be putting the motor back together this week with a new cover and timing chain. Crossing my fingers that its not a warped block even tho i did check it and didnt seem warped. How common are a warped block?