Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Newbie with first Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie with first Tacoma

Hello, I just bought my first Tacoma about 5 months ago. It is an 04 Prerunner extra cab. I got it at a hole in the wall used car lot on an impluse buy. It looked good and with the pruchase of a new home, i knew i was in need of a truck. So i traded in my built 07 H3 for the Tacoma. It had 107K on it. My father bought an 05 brand new when those came out and has well over 100k on it with stock brakes, no tune up yet, etc. Other family has had Toyota in the past and have lasted forever so didnt think it was a big deal.

Since then, i did the following...It now has brand new michelin tires, interstate battery, tune up, alignment, LOF, and brakes. Still need to do rear end oil change and flush the coolant. But, i do have some questions about the truck and hopefully you will be able to give me some suggestions or recommendations...

Long story short, after all the mods to the HUMMER, i was down to about 8-9MPG and it was a gutless pig. So at the moment, im getting around 17ishmpg with the Tacoma. My only issue is it seems even more gutless then the HUMMER was. I mean it was noticably quicker after the tune up and LOF, but it still doesnt seem llike it should. I know my fathers has the 4.0 and it seems like a ROCKETSHIP!!! Am i missing something? I installed a Volant CAI and i really dont notice anything other then alot of noise till about 4K RPM then it picks up but doesnt last long. DOes anyone know of any mods or things i could do to help give it a little more pick me up without having to do any type of forced induction? For such a popular truck, i dont really see too many performance parts on the market. Or am i looking in the wrong spot?

Thanks for any input. It is greatfully appreciated.
Daniel
Old 08-30-2012, 01:30 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
the 3.4 is quick compared to early model of the 3.0 v6. But the 4.0 is by far the fastest Toyota v6 right now. your 3.4 blows the doors off the 3.0, and the 4.0 blows the doors off your 3.4.

17 seems about right as far as MPG. You should've gotten a 4wd

And there isn't much mods as far as power increase without the supercharger. but even with the SC, the 4.0 will beat you.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:55 PM

Well...Bummer. I mean as much of a pig the HUMMER was IT was quicker then this. As far as why i didnt go 4x4, like i said, i needed a truck and it was an IMPLUSE buy. Ok well i guess ill just do the basics and hope it helps. Thanks anyway.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I once heard cold air intakes don't usually add much horsepower and whatnot unless you have a better flowing exhaust to compliment it.

As for the fuel economy, I feel that you should be getting better mileage since it is 2wd. I thought most 2wd Toyota pickups got around 21 or 22 MPG. However, anything is better than 8 or 9 mpg
Old 08-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Yeah i went from filling up very week to now filling up like once every 3 weeks. It's great. Well I figured as much but I really don't want all the racket of the noise upon acceleration or the drone. I've had dodges, mustangs the hummer and all had catback systems but as I have totem older and matured Ive kinda outgrown the noise. Although the Gibson catback on the hummer was just as quiet as the oem stuff. If I KNEW FOR sure I could get a free flowing muffler without the noise IDE do it.

Headers is another option I was thinking about. Gibsons website states dyno results of 5hp and 12ftlbs. I've read reviews from around the web and they seem to be well liked for shorty headers. Seems like torq and throttle response was greatly improved. I'm trying to find any reviews on tunes or plug in chips. I've had jet on both the hummer and one of my mustangs. With the stang it was a HUGE gain but the hummer was not that impressive tho it was noticeable. So if anyone has experience with that please let me know or direct me to the right link please.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:58 PM

Well for starters, do you have the 4 cylinder or the V6? That was never mentioned and assumed by the other replies...

If the V6 3.4L they're good engines and should be a bit quicker than the H3. You also didn't mention what engine you had in it...hmmmm.

The maintenance on the Yota is very important...have you done a cylinder compression test yet? How'd the spark plugs look? Did you get an automatic or 5speed...many questions need to be answered before an affirmative direction should be taken.

Scribed...
Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought most 2wd Toyota pickups got around 21 or 22 MPG.
They do until you lift them and call it a pre runner.

Its the same exact truck as 4wd with a missing front diff and transfer case. Soooo,,, no mpg diff..
Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by snowshredder555
Well for starters, do you have the 4 cylinder or the V6? That was never mentioned and assumed by the other replies...

If the V6 3.4L they're good engines and should be a bit quicker than the H3. You also didn't mention what engine you had in it...hmmmm.

The maintenance on the Yota is very important...have you done a cylinder compression test yet? How'd the spark plugs look? Did you get an automatic or 5speed...many questions need to be answered before an affirmative direction should be taken.

Scribed...
Sorry, yes it is a 3.4 V6 with automatic. You know, im not sure how they looked i had all the work done at one time by a local shop down the street so it was all checked out and fixed at one time. As for faster, no. My H3 had 242hp/242trq before intake exhaust and chip. Plus it did have AWD with 4.56 gears.

The truck was a one owner truck, older gentleman maybe mid 60's. Other then some nasty cigerette stains on the inside, the truck is in great shape. No dings or dents. Other then that i really dont have any info on it. Like i said, it was an impulse buy and it turned out to be ok so far.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:10 PM

On a side note, does anyone know if the 16" TRD FJ Wheels would fit on this truck? I have seen pics of the 17" ones but was wondering. Ide lilke to put them on and give it a diff look. Theres a 1,000 tacos in town and they all have the same wheels. Would be nice to change it up a little bit.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Different look uh,, well id start by scraping the prerunner logo off. People will like you.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 PM

The 2007 HUMMER H3 receives a new 242-horsepower Vortec 3.7-liter inline 5-cylinder engine with dual overhead cams and variable timing, StabiliTrak on all models, a new chrome wheel for its 33-inch tire, and Midnight Blue as a new exterior color. .

This was a quick google search from my phone..

So is this the same engine you had...it would seem so cause the numbers are what you're quoting...

I would pull at least one of the plugs and have a look see...if you an OBDII scanner/ reader, I'd plug that in and check you operating parameters. That'd give you a good picture of what the computer is reading. Other than gettin dirty under the hood and checking gear ratio against tire size, there's not much else that can be done to help diagnose a slugish engine. However, please keep in mind though the 3.4L is substantially better than the 3.0L it replaced it's still no dragster.

I would like to disagree with a statement from above that the 3.4L supercharged isn't faster than a stock 4.0L. I've seen it first hand and the 4.0L lost decisively.
99'Xtra cab vs. 06 Access cab. Though not absolutely identical, identical in their own generation of offering.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:56 AM

Yeah thats it. Well pulling the plugs at this point would be pointless. I just had them replaced a few days ago. Like i said over time i have been doing stuff to bring the truck back up to par. Perhaps its just me. I guess i just had bigger expectations of it because my dads was really fast for a truck. Oh well, ill just keep at it.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:52 PM

What about these from URD?
http://www.urdusa.com/Electronics-Pe...duct_info.html