Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

New HD Marlin Crawler clutch in, now I can't get into gear... Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to me that something is installed wrong or by installing a new clutch you may have found a weak master or slave cylinder. Maybe one of them is about worn out and by adding the brand new pressure plate vs the old worn out pressure plate that now there just isnt enough pressure there to disengage
Old 07-19-2012, 05:41 AM

How far is the rod moving on the slave cylinder?
Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 AM

Well like I said, the master and slave are both less than 3 months old. The slave rod moves between a half inch and an inch or so. Roughly 3/4s of an inch is safe to say. I'll have a factory toyota replacement here in a couple hours and will put it in after work.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:18 AM

I have messed up brand new master cylinders by adjusting them all the way out in the past. 3/4 of an inch doesnt seem like enough movement
Old 07-19-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jasper 83
How far is the rod moving on the slave cylinder?
How far SHOULD it be moving?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jasper 83
I have messed up brand new master cylinders by adjusting them all the way out in the past. 3/4 of an inch doesnt seem like enough movement
That makes sense. My old clutch had to be completely smashed in to disengage the clutch, therefore the master was all the way out. This is how its been most of the time so it may be bad at this point.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 PM

OK here is where we are at...

Swapped the slave and bled the fire outta this thing. Nothing.
Went and bought a new master, started all the way in, and bled the fire out of it again. Nothing
Moved the rod half way, bled again, nothing.
Moved it all the way out and still nothing.
So I pulled the bell housing off again, bearing and fork look good. Pulled the pressure plate off, clutch is facing the correct way. Then I sat there for a few minutes looking at the inside of the bell housing and saw that the ball that the fork pivots on is unscrewable. I decided to take it off, place a couple washers behind it and reassemble the fork giving it more of an offest. The fork now will pivot and travel further when I put the bell housing back on tomorrow. I hope that this will give me enough force to fully disengage the clutch. What do you guys think about that?
Old 07-19-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I wonder if you have the correct clutch release bearing??? Do you have the bearing installed on the bearing hub correct??

Is it on the fork the correct way??

It is easy to screw these up and it causes no end of grief.

The only other thing I can thing is you have a bad connection at one of the clutch line fittings that is allowing air to be drawn into the system.

It might only be leaking a few drops of fluid a day but if it is sucking in air any attempts to bleed will fail.

How did the pedal itself feel??
Old 07-19-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I wonder if you have the correct clutch release bearing??? Do you have the bearing installed on the bearing hub correct??

Is it on the fork the correct way??

It is easy to screw these up and it causes no end of grief.

The only other thing I can thing is you have a bad connection at one of the clutch line fittings that is allowing air to be drawn into the system.

It might only be leaking a few drops of fluid a day but if it is sucking in air any attempts to bleed will fail.

How did the pedal itself feel??
The bearing is identical to the one that came off the hub. It is poressed on the exact same way.
The fork only goes on one way.
Both master and cylinder are brand new as of today which means that the connections have been checked.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the way I look at this is once you get yours fixed then shortly there after mine will be fine also. I have a brand new MCCL-114 clutch kit in mine with a MCCL-442 2100lb pressure plate and a MCCL-312 HD metallic disc
even one of their new MCCL-213A flywheel and have the same issues as you.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you checked the condition of the short rubber flex line? ... Not to mention the actual clutch pedal assembly.

Both of these are prone to bending (for the pedal) and the hose to begin failing an expand under pressure.

For no reason should you need to add washers to that pivot point for the fork. The problem is with your hydraulics, not your transmission or clutch.

*I have the MC 1600lb plate as well..

Last edited by drew303; 07-19-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by drew303
Have you checked the condition of the short rubber flex line? ... Not to mention the actual clutch pedal assembly.

Both of these are prone to bending (for the pedal) and the hose to begin failing an expand under pressure.

For no reason should you need to add washers to that pivot point for the fork. The problem is with your hydraulics, not your transmission or clutch.

*I have the MC 1600lb plate as well..
I'll double check the short line. I don't know how else it could be hydraulics. Everything is brand new, including the connections to the master and slave cylinders. The pedal is not bent nor is the fork.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by 94-RUNNER
Well the way I look at this is once you get yours fixed then shortly there after mine will be fine also. I have a brand new MCCL-114 clutch kit in mine with a MCCL-442 2100lb pressure plate and a MCCL-312 HD metallic disc
even one of their new MCCL-213A flywheel and have the same issues as you.
I really hope this solves your problem as well. I obviously know how frustrating it is to have all new stuff and it not work.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Double D
I'll double check the short line. I don't know how else it could be hydraulics. Everything is brand new, including the connections to the master and slave cylinders. The pedal is not bent nor is the fork.
Where do you live? I always see these problems on YT... These issues are easily sorted with the experienced eye after a few minutes.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:41 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Do you have any of the old clutch parts to compare to? is the input spline clean and lubed?
Old 07-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by drew303
Where do you live? I always see these problems on YT... These issues are easily sorted with the experienced eye after a few minutes.
I live in Tucson AZ. I had a buddy over that said he could "have it back on the road in a few minutes" and he failed also.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:04 AM

I do have the old clutch parts. Below is a photo of the original clutch when I pulled it out.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the time of the clutch replacement I replaced the clutch only because it was slipping and as far as I knew from the previous owner it had never been replaced. The master cylinder and the slave were in good working order at that time so I didn't replace them. I couldn't begin to tell you how many clutch assy's that I have put in over the past 45 years and master and slave cylinders and have never had a issue like this till now. Before the truck left the shop the next day after installing the clutch and still not being able to get it in gear I replaced the master and slave cyl's and the hyd hose between the hard lines. And yes I did check the brake pedal mounting bracket assy for cracks and there were none. So the only thing that was left to do was to adjust the piston rod on the top of the clutch pedal and I was able to get it to where it would finally disengage the clutch.
At point the clutch released very close to the floor and that was the best that I could get it. By the time the engine has run for about 20 minutes whether its being driven or sitting in the shop the clutch disengagement is at the top of the pedal and that is where it stays no matter how long it runs. After it cools 6 to 8 hours it is back near the floor. I had a tech look at it and he said the same thing as Dd's tech said. Aw, I'll just bleed the system and that will fix that. Same result afterwards, he was stumped also. So here I am back at square 1.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:27 PM

Ok so I can't determine if the pressure plate can go on wrong or not. There are two ways it seems to bolt up. Does it make a difference which way it goes on?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DD, how much free play at the very beginning(top) of your clutch pedal? How far does it depress before you feel resistance other than return spring? I'm not sure what factory specs are, but my Marlin 1200lb clutch with new Aisin master and 1998 Tacoma slave (due to swap), my pedal goes down about 3/4" before it starts to "work". Then it goes about 1/2 way down and my clutch is fully disengaged. It may be wrong, but I prefer my clutch up high. Let us know what your measurements are. When I get back to my truck I can take a measurement of how far the slave rod moves. There shouldn't be any play between slave rod and clutch fork...

Quick Reply: New HD Marlin Crawler clutch in, now I can't get into gear... Please help.