Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

negitave camber any help/ideas? please!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
negitave camber any help/ideas? please!!

hello,i have a issue with my 92 toy p/u 350/350 np 205 t case, im running 1985 axles closed knuckle up front, 5.29 gears with 39.50 tsl swampers the top of my front tires lean in (negitave camber) the front axle housing is braced and according to my lazer level it is 100% true. what gives any pointers or a starting point ? any and all help would be great and thank you for reading my post

p.s it has a lift not sure what size guessing 8 or 10 inch

also would the toe in toe out cause camber to be outta wack?

Last edited by fullbore; 08-06-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:48 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Soooo, the tires are wearing on the inside?

And not perfectly across, right?

Have you checked for play in the bearings?

And I just know you're not running some crazy off set front rims, right?

I hate to tell you this, but camber is set by the shims on the upper and lower trunnion bearings... And if they're out, it's a royal PITA to get it back. Or so I've been told.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 08-06-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had this happen to me its either bad trunnions or bent axle lazer level wont tell you any thing its the axle ball that bends if you try to take your birfs out and they wont come out that will tell you you got a bent axle ball check the trunnoins first then try to take out your birfs
Old 08-06-2010, 05:14 PM

yes in fact i have off set rims, very very little wheel bearing play on pass side,and thanks for the reply, i will take pics in the AM and post them
Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 PM

if the trunnions are bad wouldent they have some play in them?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:28 PM

solid front axle negitive camber,bent??? or ?? help

my 92 toy p/u has a solid front axle from 80's toy with x over steering, im running 39.50 swampers with off set rims, im having a issue with negitive camber, but when its jacked up my camber if perfect, if its a bent axle ?, if it is what bends the housing or the axles? also i read a little bit on rotated axle housings,im not sure if mine have been rotated, would that have anything to do with camber? another thing i noticed that looks rigged is on the driver side under the leaf there is like a 3/4 inch spacer with nothing on pass side? is this somthing to do with the x over steering for clearence? sorta new to toyota axles any and all help would be great thanks FULLBORE

Last edited by fullbore; 08-17-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: SPELLING
Old 08-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by fullbore
my 92 toy p/u has a solid front axle from 80's toy with x over steering, im running 39.50 swampers with off set rims, im having a issue with negitive camber, but when its jacked up my camber if perfect, if its a bent axle ?, if it is what bends the housing or the axles? also i read a little bit on rotated axle housings,im not sure if mine have been rotated, would that have anything to do with camber?
Might be loose or worn knuckle bearings. Try grabbing the wheel at 6 and 12 o'clock (with it in the air) and see if there is any play as you push and pull on it. You could check around the spring perches and see if there are signs they have been cut off and re-welded (typically done when rotating the knuckles).

another thing i noticed that looks rigged is on the driver side under the leaf there is like a 3/4 inch spacer with nothing on pass side? is this somthing to do with the x over steering for clearence? sorta new to toyota axles any and all help would be great thanks FULLBORE
That is to level out the spring perches. If you look the passenger side perch sits higher than the driver's side perch. Factory springs were unequally arched but most after market springs are equally arched and thus need a spacer:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ingPerchSpacer
Old 08-17-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the housing itself is what bends and gives negative camber. however i would make sure your trunnion/wheel bearings are set to the proper preload before concluding that its a bent housing. when those get wore out they will result in negative camber. if it is your housing that's bent, find an 84/85 housing as they have a longer support on the axle then the 79 threw 83's do. also i would recommend adding a support truss on top of the axle as well. search "front axle truss"..

that spacer is suppose to be there to account for the difference in spring perch height.

hope that helps, good luck!

figures.. 4 crawler beat me to it