Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

My '90 22re wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '90 22re wont start

I cant seem to get my truck to start. I have a good battery, new starter, volt meter reads ok, I have replaced the positive lead from the battery to the starter, checked both grounds (block, body) both are ok.
When I turn the key, i get the "click" niose from the solenoid, so I know i have power to the starter, but it doesnt do anything else (no spinning from starter) also, my lead from the battery to the starter gets very hot.
Any suggestions? ive done all I know at this point...im stumped
Old 09-05-2011, 05:52 AM

dont think its a fuse since power is going to the right parts hmmmmmm ?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:14 AM

I've got the same problem with my '89 3.0 Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:52 AM

Kinda doubt its the same but i put a new starter on my 86 and a few months later it started hangin up on me once in a while. I just gota get out and peck on the starter a lil and it started right up..good luck
Old 09-05-2011, 02:02 PM

Try jumping the solenoid and see if that makes it start if that works your solenoid is bad.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:27 PM

I have tried all of your suggestions, Still wont start. I have checked the fuses, bench tested the starter. everything comes back good, but once the starter is in the truck, it seems like the flywheel wont let the starter do it's job. Anyone know where I can pick up a 22RE in the portland, Oregon area for a good price?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:38 AM

Dude, aren't you giving up a little quick??

You said the 'wire gets hot' (to the starter)...that means there is an electrical problem of some sort. Now, if the flywheel WAS jammed, that could do it, too, for sure - that would constitute an electrical problem in the sense that you are overloading the starter, and it gets really hot. But that may NOT be the reason the wire is hot! I, for one, would want to really KNOW it is jammed, and WHY, if so. It could be something else.

SO: how about hand cranking the engine to see if it 'rolls' freely? Use a breaker bar and follow the procedure for finding TDC. I would try it 'starter in place' (but if it's already out, ok then, leave it for now). If it goes at all, see if you can get 360 degrees out of it.

So, you're sure the starter is actually ok?

Those 2 things will tell you a LOT. Then post back...if the engine WON'T turn at all...umm, ok....that would mean something could be FUBAR. But I can't see the thing seizing up overnight if it ran ok before....
Old 10-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Islandr84
I cant seem to get my truck to start. I have a good battery, new starter, volt meter reads ok, I have replaced the positive lead from the battery to the starter, checked both grounds (block, body) both are ok.
When I turn the key, i get the "click" niose from the solenoid, so I know i have power to the starter, but it doesnt do anything else (no spinning from starter) also, my lead from the battery to the starter gets very hot.
Any suggestions? ive done all I know at this point...im stumped
Clicking might be due to worn contacts inside the solenoid:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest

Or something may be jamming the starter/flywheel and not letting the starter turn the engine over. Can you push start the engine (i.e. does it turn over by other means)?
Old 10-01-2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by GuitarMike
Dude, aren't you giving up a little quick??

You said the 'wire gets hot' (to the starter)...that means there is an electrical problem of some sort. Now, if the flywheel WAS jammed, that could do it, too, for sure - that would constitute an electrical problem in the sense that you are overloading the starter, and it gets really hot. But that may NOT be the reason the wire is hot! I, for one, would want to really KNOW it is jammed, and WHY, if so. It could be something else.

SO: how about hand cranking the engine to see if it 'rolls' freely? Use a breaker bar and follow the procedure for finding TDC. I would try it 'starter in place' (but if it's already out, ok then, leave it for now). If it goes at all, see if you can get 360 degrees out of it.

So, you're sure the starter is actually ok?

Those 2 things will tell you a LOT. Then post back...if the engine WON'T turn at all...umm, ok....that would mean something could be FUBAR. But I can't see the thing seizing up overnight if it ran ok before....
I have tried rolling the motor over with and without the starter in. It seemed ok, but i wanted a second opinion. I had a buddy check it out. he said it rolls, but feels tight.

And the starter is ok. we know that much for sure.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:46 AM

Have you bench tested the starter? Maybe bad mechanical wise but not electrical wise. I had that happen on a brand new starter I had on my 89 Bronco. Try that. I think Autozone test starters. Or just do it in your garage. Take jumper cables and hook them to battary and then to the starter. If it spins, its ok