Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

locking hubs not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 06:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
This is how I remove mine:
https://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTr...eWasherRemoval
Check out the YouTube video link there as well.
MAHALO! For your response 4crawler!
I'll soak the ˟˟˟˟ out of the washers overnight with pb blaster and go at it again tomorrow. The salty air out here in hawaii just kills the yotas with rust.

Any suggestions on calipers I should get also? I noticed my driver side caliper is missing that wire spring thing that sits between the two pads so idk if that's important or not...
Old 05-05-2022, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I think if you look for a "loaded caliper", that'll be all new caliper, pads and hardware. Usually a core charge that you get back when you return your original calipers.
I went that route when I put disc brakes on my rear axle. Picked up some Toyota Celica loaded rear calipers. But since I had nothing to return in exchange, I had to eat the core charge.
Or, you can get missing parts from some place like this:
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/CK-13246
Old 05-05-2022, 08:41 PM

I think if you look for a "loaded caliper", that'll be all new caliper, pads and hardware. Usually a core charge that you get back when you return your original calipers.
I went that route when I put disc brakes on my rear axle. Picked up some Toyota Celica loaded rear calipers. But since I had nothing to return in exchange, I had to eat the core charge.
Ok cool. that's nice that there is a website for parts like that. it's soo hard to get parts here in hawaii. either the shipping is too expensive or they don't ship to hawaii lol. I find myself scavenging at junk yards hoping to find old school yotas every now and then for parts.

I'll check with my local Napa and see if they have the full kit. If not, I'll give the website you recommended a shot. I appreciate your help man!

I'll keep you updated on those cone washers lol
Old 05-12-2022, 01:27 PM

Fixed the front brakes... searching for a transmission oil plug

Aloha! 4 Crawler

Good news... I was able to fully install the new rotors and calipers on my truck! Being that this was the first time ever this 89' has ever had some front brakes done on it, it was quite the challenge trying to dissemble everything to get to the rotor. I have to say that the cone washers was the hardest challenge lol. After denting the studs from banging on it to loosen up the cone washers, i was lucky enough to find some new ones with the same size bolt and thread to replace them. The other hard challenge i came across was dealing with the old hard brake line that runs from the hose to the calipers. it was soo rusty that i completely snapped the fitting off the hose because it couldn't spin lol. I dont know why they couldn't just make it so that the hose goes straight into the caliper!

Yesterday I found out that I had this strange high pitch noise when I would accelerate and I found out it was coming from my driveshaft. I went on to replace both the front and rear U-Joints and now its gone. Oh man those old U-Joints were bad.

Quick question.... by any chance do you know where i could buy a transmission oil plug bolt?
Old 09-22-2022, 10:05 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Kauai 89' Yota
Aloha! 4 Crawler

Good news... I was able to fully install the new rotors and calipers on my truck! Being that this was the first time ever this 89' has ever had some front brakes done on it, it was quite the challenge trying to dissemble everything to get to the rotor. I have to say that the cone washers was the hardest challenge lol. After denting the studs from banging on it to loosen up the cone washers, i was lucky enough to find some new ones with the same size bolt and thread to replace them. The other hard challenge i came across was dealing with the old hard brake line that runs from the hose to the calipers. it was soo rusty that i completely snapped the fitting off the hose because it couldn't spin lol. I dont know why they couldn't just make it so that the hose goes straight into the caliper!

Yesterday I found out that I had this strange high pitch noise when I would accelerate and I found out it was coming from my driveshaft. I went on to replace both the front and rear U-Joints and now its gone. Oh man those old U-Joints were bad.

Quick question.... by any chance do you know where i could buy a transmission oil plug bolt?
howzit dude? I feel your pain..Rust is the only thing that will kill a Yota on the islands. Toyotapartsdeal.com and rockauto.com deliver to me here on Hawaii island so they should to you too.
A propane torch has helped me in the past when unstucking stuffs.
Also, if you need parts I have an 89 v6 parts truck. I’m starting a fundraiser for my SAS
Old 11-29-2022, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are they the original Aisin hubs? If so, taking them apart to service them is your best bet. They are one of the best hubs made so I would consider going that route instead of replacing them.

Last edited by mydavestrong; 11-29-2022 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:41 PM

What's up Blackpearl808🤙

I ended up parting ways with my 89 about a year ago and actually just picked up a 93 xtra cab 22re 4x4 with A/C. But im trying to find a diagram that i can follow to replace my compressor and dryer. My 89 never had A/C so this is unchartered waters for me lol. Trying to get this thing blowing cold before the summer heat picks up. Let me know if you have any tips/advice on this. Mahalo!
Old 05-01-2024, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by BlackPearl808
howzit dude? I feel your pain..Rust is the only thing that will kill a Yota on the islands. Toyotapartsdeal.com and rockauto.com deliver to me here on Hawaii island so they should to you too.
A propane torch has helped me in the past when unstucking stuffs.
Also, if you need parts I have an 89 v6 parts truck. I’m starting a fundraiser for my SAS
I forgot to quote this reply lol. But sick truck! Do you still have your 89?