Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Just bought 99 Tacoma, questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought 99 Tacoma, questions

So I just bought a 99 tacoma 230,000KMs in quite good condition ... though I don`t know a whole lot. I phoned there mechanic and it was serviced every year and had everything done that needed to be done and has been sitting for the last year... They told me I don`t need to do an oil change and it`s good to go..

My friends telling me I need to do a transmission fluid change as it stinks...

It is a little bit of a bumpy ride... not thaaat bad but it is noticable, I don`t think it is the shocks though as I took it down a pretty pothole dirt road and felt fine... at a higher speed its more of a smooth ride... my friend says he`ll balance the tires for me that should do it.

So is there anything I should know about this truck? I know about the rust issue and it was undercoated about 2 years ago by the dealer... there is no major rust underneath has minor rust nothing rusting through or anything...

Also am installing a 1000W sony explode 2 12" kenwood subs (sub box is strapped in the back with the seatbelts, hands to keep the seatbelts tight and away from speaker, works awesome!) and 6x9 speakers in the back (I think I might have to cut to get the speakers to fit?) matching kenwood deck ... normal speaker kit running from the battery... Is there going to be any probleming using the stock wiring? should I upgrade to a bigger power cord from the battery?

just anything I should generally know about this truck, any advice?

experiences offroading? how much can it take... I don't plan on being hard on it ... going to baby it but would like to get mudbogging and up the mountain and stuff but should I be careful or have some fun doing it