Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

just another new guy...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so, even after all this, i have decided that a lift/regearing is not going to happen any time soon because of the expense.... so i was wondering what a few smaller dollar steps are that will overall, help enhance my truck? I was thinking a K&N FIPK, idler arm gussets, glasspacks, then maybe new headers... i don't have a steady flow of Extra cash, so i wondered if you guys thought those steps sounded decent! btw, here is a pic of my truck... those are 31's do you think it already has a lift on it or not?

Last edited by walkdog0530; 01-11-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 PM

Hmm...why not just drive the truck as it is, and upgrade as stuff starts breaking and falling off? I wouldnt do a k&n fipk, they don't help performance that much, they are expensive, and they let crap into the engine. The stock airbox is a much better design, if you want freer flowing intake, look into the ISR mod (there's a whole thread on it if you search). Idler arm gussets are completely a waste of money for your application, 31's are nowhere near big enough to screw up an idler arm. Unless your muffler is rotting off, or you really want the sound of a glasspack, I don't see that as too important either. However, they are cheap, so if you really want to mod your truck w/o spending a lot, do it. youtubes got a lot of clips of 22res with glasspacks if you search, listen to the clips and see if you like the sound. I need a new muffler soon, and I've been debating between a cheap glasspack or a flowmaster 40. I think I'm gonna get the flowmaster, even though they are pricier, because I like the sound better and it's not quite as obnoxious. As for headers: they are pretty expensive too and arent the easiest thing to install, but quality headers will increase power output. I say just drive the truck, maybe treat her to a good cleaning inside and out and a fresh set of rubbers.
-Kai
Old 01-11-2009, 01:52 PM

you're right, sounds good, i shouldn't really waste my money until i have enough to do something substantially different... headers would make it a lil peppier so i might go for that sooner than later, but otherwise, i think i've come to terms with the old saying "dont fix it if it ain't broke"...
Old 01-11-2009, 02:32 PM

That's stock, no lift. She looks damn good though, what kind of wheels are those? Also, what brand of toolbox is that?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:32 PM

Thanks man, i bought the truck like it sits right now...
the tool box is UWS : pretty good brand i guess, has a nice lock on the box.... http://www.uwsta.com/

the wheels are made by MB Motoring: apparently they only sell them at Discount Tire Co. i hadnt heard of them before .... looks from there site that my "Overdrive" set is discontinued... http://www.wheelsbymbmotoring.com/

also, i was looking at the underbelly, and this (what is it?) sticks out like a sore thumb, it hangs down pretty far and make the ground clearance look pretty inconsistent... i think it might be a skid plate/xmember for the transfer case, it looks stock to me, seems like a lower profile of whatever it is would not stick down so much...

Also, i was bored so i took the mud-flaps off and repainted the worn down letters...