Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

ITBs on a 22R?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ITBs on a 22R?

I searched around here but didn't find much. ITBs are independent throttle bodies. They aren't that hard to do on Inline motors. You see them on all-motor Hondas a lot. It would be a sick setup though.
I was just curious if anyone has attempted this on a 22re? Unfortunately, I think the computer would have to be modified.

Last edited by Jadri; 09-19-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:48 PM

ITB on a v6

Old 09-19-2008, 08:49 PM

Oooooo baby!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:41 PM

im sure it would be possible for a 22R / RE but the problem is that the 2 valve setup makes it extremely difficult for the motor to use that much fuel/air and on the fuel injected models the stock injectors would also limit the usefullness of such a setup because they would not be able to compensate for that much extra air.

most of the motors ive seen with ITB use 4 valve configuration so that they can get all that extra aspiration down to the combustion chamber.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:54 PM

Jadri, is that four cylinder ITB picture for a 22RE?

I've been searching (and lurking) for a while now, but have been unable to find a picture of a 22R(E) with ITB's. So glad someone finally started a thread.

I've got an 85 (yeah! hell of a block!) two door 2wd longbed truck that I plan on putting ITB's in.

It'll be a street car so I'll be re-designing the 22R in a pretty unique fashion for my needs. I.E. shaving 10mm off the stroke to reach higher rpms.

Megasquirt for fuel management, and i'll probably source throttle bodies from Jamaican or South African AE86's. 45's are good for about 50hp per tb, and the 48's are good for more...but I am unsure of whether I'll be running nitrous or not yet.

Compensate for increased airflow by using bigger valves, port and polish, 20R head, et cetera. custom make a manifold...

Anyway, I'm planning on designing and building the engine over the next 5 years or so in my garage with a total budget landing somewhere around 10 grand for the engine. Should be an exciting project

Please pm me if you know of someone who has ITB's on 22R, i'd be a happy camper

Wish me luck!!! lolz

As a side note, I'm a VW guy and this yota thing is new for me (LOVING IT THOUGH!!) and I was a bit disappointed to find there is no DOHC head for 22R motors... I've searched countless pages and forums, and everyone says no, but I would like to communicate with someone who has tried this first hand. Please flame me for this if you want, but what doesn't match up when you put an AE86 head on a 22R (aside from the bore/chamber)??
Old 10-20-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by nmisch88
As a side note, I'm a VW guy and this yota thing is new for me (LOVING IT THOUGH!!) and I was a bit disappointed to find there is no DOHC head for 22R motors... I've searched countless pages and forums, and everyone says no, but I would like to communicate with someone who has tried this first hand. Please flame me for this if you want, but what doesn't match up when you put an AE86 head on a 22R (aside from the bore/chamber)??
Nothing lines up, they're two completely different motors. The Corolla runs a 4AG-E engine, not even the same family as the R motor. This isn't like an aircooler where everything swaps around or what have you (you didn't specify water or air cooled 'dubs). This is kind of like trying to put 302 heads on a small block chevy.
The R engine is essentially a truck engine, they're made to rev low, and produce smooth power and torque. You can make 250+ horsepower with one, but for the money spent, I'd get a 3RZ out of a Tacoma and swap that if you're looking for power.

Last edited by TrikeKid; 10-20-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:01 AM

lol, thx for the reply, i was suspecting as much, but really needed some closure. And I'm a water-cooled guy btw.

I like taking the old and making it anew so i'd like to work with the original motor. Power isn't really as important as just strait up restoring and renewing this truck. I'm a bit sentimental about it i guess.

I'm a bit of technical person, so I'd like to have fun with this project and go a little nuts, see if I can mold the engine and project into somewhat of a high-revving fun little truck that I have as a vision and project goal for the car.

Thx again for the reply TrikeKid.

Any ITB's out there???
Old 10-21-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by nmisch88
lol, thx for the reply, i was suspecting as much, but really needed some closure. And I'm a water-cooled guy btw.

I like taking the old and making it anew so i'd like to work with the original motor. Power isn't really as important as just strait up restoring and renewing this truck. I'm a bit sentimental about it i guess.

I'm a bit of technical person, so I'd like to have fun with this project and go a little nuts, see if I can mold the engine and project into somewhat of a high-revving fun little truck that I have as a vision and project goal for the car.

Thx again for the reply TrikeKid.

Any ITB's out there???
If you want it to rev high/quick, find a machine shop willing to cut the stock flywheel down or buy a lighter one from LC Engineering (they go as low as 9 pounds). The stocker is 20 some odd pounds(I want to say 25 but I'm not sure). I saw somewhere that the 22RE powered cars had a lighter flywheel than the trucks, may be a cheaper route if you can find one.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by TrikeKid
If you want it to rev high/quick, find a machine shop willing to cut the stock flywheel down or buy a lighter one from LC Engineering (they go as low as 9 pounds). The stocker is 20 some odd pounds(I want to say 25 but I'm not sure). I saw somewhere that the 22RE powered cars had a lighter flywheel than the trucks, may be a cheaper route if you can find one.
Yeah, but when you're wheeling you want the extra momentum to keep that sucker running!

Go with a heavier flywheel
Old 10-22-2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by EvaMonky
Yeah, but when you're wheeling you want the extra momentum to keep that sucker running!

Go with a heavier flywheel
He said he's building a 2wd truck, not doing any wheeling, so he can afford to have a lighter flywheel.

Myself, I wish i could afford a 30 pound flywheel from LCE this winter, but it just isn't going to happen.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by TrikeKid
He said he's building a 2wd truck, not doing any wheeling, so he can afford to have a lighter flywheel.

Myself, I wish i could afford a 30 pound flywheel from LCE this winter, but it just isn't going to happen.
Oops missed that part.

On topic though. Aren't ITB's impossible on a 22RE because our MAF sensor is waaay over by the air filter?

I could have sworn I saw somebody put ITB's on a 22R. But I can't find it anywhere. I'll keep looking.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:39 AM

BUMP. Id love to know if this was possible, i know theres drawbacks like stated earlier but still very interested. Ive heard of miata guys running independent carbs from motorcycles and just re-jetting them. I would guess you could put big enough jets in to work on a 22r but ive never heard of anyone doing it or even attempting.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 PM

hey guys i was thinking about the same thing for my 68 corona, i was looking aty a 22r and in my search i found this article(http://www.gatechlocost.com/wordpress/?page_id=152) take a look at it. hope it can help.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:06 AM

ITB Wonders

Sorry im new to this and really late to post about it, but is anyone out there still wondering about ITBs on a 22r/re?
Old 01-29-2016, 09:10 PM

Bump
I just saw a picture of a 1987 pickup on car domain.com and it had an itb setup
No description or anything tho, just one picture