Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
2 Dyers in a row, hows that for odds.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Teuf
2 Dyers in a row, hows that for odds.
lol, i totally knew that would come up eventually, i've seen you around a few times on the forums
Old 06-08-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i vote fuel pump, or ignition coil. My reason saying is that do it on the coil, and the theif is probably going to crank on it to start. maybe even a few because he wants your truck pretty bad. That would be enough to wake me up. I'd be out there in my under wear with glock 40 in hand

The fuel pump would be great for me because the truck would start and the theif would make it maybe a couple feet till the engine dies. My truck door only opens from the outside. There for he would be trapped in side, with me again, in my under wear running down the street with glock 40 in hand.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by 91 4Runner
Just get yourself one of these... Mount it so the key just hangs below the dash and remove the key... No one will ever see it and you'll have the key...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-1036/

That's what I had in my last truck and is now waiting to be installed on my 85... Although I got mine from Princess Auto and only paid $7.99
that is about the best method, especially for older POS like mine that has a mechanical fuel pump and no EFI
Old 06-10-2011, 02:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
that is about the best method, especially for older POS like mine that has a mechanical fuel pump and no EFI
That's what I plan to use on mine as I am currently using my 4Runner door key to start my 85 (until I finish building it then new cylinder/key)....

If you search online you can find them for about $8.

Last edited by 91 4Runner; 06-10-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:29 AM

I'm thinking about trying this out:

http://www.amazon.com/Off-Key-Switch...7729845&sr=8-8

installing that in the center console, or under a seat. have it run to the fuel pump. (don't know where the wires are for the fuel pump, but should be able to track it down easily enough).

that way I have the option of turning off the fuel pump whenever I want, with a key. it's hidden so they don't find it and just wire around it.

another think I want to look at is:

http://www.amazon.com/Liftmaster-G17...7729652&sr=1-5

replacing the trunk release lever with this style emergency garage door release switch. then it would be done with a key only. the downside is that I'd have to mount it into the frame somewhere, or else they could just grab the cable/chain and pull it manually.

just a thought, I need to go and sit in the 4runner and brainstorm on it a while longer before I order anything.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:21 PM

Lol

Originally Posted by NCalDyer
the simplest and cheapest and fastest way of implementing a kill switch is to pull the "efi" fuse in the fuse block under the hood, wire in a 30amp 12v toggle switch (in the location of your choice). be sure to include an inline fuse holder so you still have a fuse in your efi circuit. vehicle wont start with it off, no fuel will be delivered. also if you flip it while the vehicle is running, it will sputter and die lol

I hit my Switch when i put my IPhone in the pocket. i think i have to move it!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:09 PM

I like the idea of one that replaces a fuse (interior), and gives you a nice toggle switch somewhere. You might be able to get the wires in behind it, too, for concealment.

I really doubt a thief will take a whole lot of time trying to figure out where you hid the thing....he'd have to be on his back with a flashlight, etc....I mean, ok, in the boonies they might, but at your house or job?? After a couple of cranks (after they hotwire the truck), they're now making noise and nervous....they'd probably bail.

If you got stuck mudding, kiss it goodbye anyway - some maggots would just throw rocks at your rig and ruin it! (voice of experience). But pulling the EFI fuse if you have to walk out is a great idea....
Old 11-08-2011, 11:27 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

I always try and use the KISS principal

We have to choices either a manual or auto transmission .

One has the neutral safety switch If this stays open it won`t start

The other has the Starter relay If the coil is not energized it will not start.

Simple to find the incoming power to either one I could look but I don`t want to make it to easy . Switch in either of these it won`t start but you still need to have it in neutral or clutch in for it to start..

You can also break the grounds to either of those circuits

Lets face it if someone wants your vehicle bad enough there going to get it.

But for the most if it doesn`t start in less then a minute they will look for another vehicle

My thoughts
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 PM

My trucks got a little triangular, key thing with a computer chip look to the end of it under my dash. Someone before the previous owner had done this and the PO didn't know what it was when I asked him. He said he thought it was something to do with the amp. I took the key thing out one day and threw it in the glove box because I was going to take the amp out. Then the truck wouldn't start. A bit later, I realized why. I'll try to get a picture of it later and the wires it's spliced into.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by jessed59
i got the same truck man std cab.. i put a switch in its a heavier duty one std on/off. i hid mine behind the glovebox area. if u pull apart your steering column and look at your ignition switch it will have each function of tghe switch marked so where it says start (i think) thats the one u wanna splice into. just be sure to conceal where u spliced into it cuz the thief could just trace it to the switch
It says ST at the beginning of the wire I did mine today thanks to this forum