Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Help choosing brake brand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help choosing brake brand?

I am about to replace the entire brake system on the front an rear of my 87 runner.

I have been looking at RockAuto.com for parts, as they seem to have some pretty awesome prices. I am not familiar with some of the brands they carry for my truck though.

For calipers I am seeing Centric, Nastra, Beck/Arnley, Bendix and Raybestos.

Same brands for rotors plus Delphi.

Same for Drums plus wagner.

Is there a brand that has shown consistent quality and durability in your experience?

Also, as an aside, does anyone have good things to say about going for slotted rotors on these rigs? This will mainly be used as a daily driver up in the northwest. Not sure if slotted rotors make a difference in the rainy weather.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Do some reading. A popular swap is to take all the components off a latter model V6 truck (calipers, master, and booster mainly) and swap them on to your truck. They are bigger, provide more stopping power, and completely bolt on.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
centric makes a good pad and hydralics. No experiene with there rotors though. I worked at an independent napa for 3 years. We sold every type of brake. Wagner's were the cheapy noisy ones, centric were top of the line, warranty against squealing and usting and stuff. We also sold all raybestos. They are a heck of a brand. I did my v6 brake upgrade with new raybestos master cylinder, rotors, calipers, but with centric pads.Alotof people like raybestos, and for good reason. They have a service line which we sold cheap to shops, and a premium line. Get there good stuff and you'll be happy.

If you go locally to a store, I recomend Napa, not because I work there, but because I've worked at Autozone and Kragen before and I've sold there junk. And most of it is junk. the zone and kragen sell light weight rotors that wear and warp very easily and they arent made to be turned. Napa's Ultra Premium pads are the same pads that came on your vehicle from the factory, we sell through the manufacturer. Lifetime(of the pad) warranty against noise, dusting, factory defects etc.
Good luck and look into the v6 brake up grade, all the parts shouldnt be more than what you will pay for the original. I looked up parts for a 1993 4runner with the V6 and everything works!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

I myself use Napa Premium brake pads and brake shoes.

It seems all the rotors and drums except Toyota are made in China.

These days it is so easy to get the wrong parts in the correct box if buying online . Then such a pain to get them sent back. With a lot of things being dropped shipped.

I try and buy as much local as possible.