Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Hello from NWI!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello from NWI!

Hey guys names Mark. Just picked up a 89 Short bed deluxe 4X4(22-RE EFI with W56 5 speed trans). I have a lot of ideas for this truck so I'm going to need some help. As of right now it wont shift into third(grinds like crazy) I'm going need to put in a new shift lever seat and socket. Engine is leaking oil so I'm going to clean and locate the source of the leak and fix that.

My only questions so far is do I get the White Marlin Crawler or the red? How do I know for sure that my trans is a W56 A or B?

That's about it for now, I really enjoy this site and thanks for your time!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 PM

Hey Mark, welcome to YotaTech. You've come to the right place for help. Although I can't answer your questions, there will be lots of people on here that can. Take full advantage of the 'search engine'. Also, we like lots of pictures.
By the way, where is NWI? Your talking to a Canuck here!

Mike
Old 09-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
W56A or B transmissions have top shift t-cases behind them. If you have a forward shift case: (http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/topshifter/), it is not an A or B model.

According to Marlin's page:
- http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/tr...ar-ratio-chart

W56-C 1989-91
Old 09-22-2011, 02:49 AM

Thanks for the help 4Crawler! From what I've researched it looks like it's a W56-C. I order the white Marlin Crawler Shift Lever Seat and Socket and when it gets here I'll try that and see how that fits. As for now I need to tear down my left Asin Hub and get that working which shouldn't be that hard. But for now I'll post a before mods picture.

It's in rough shape but it's small engine problems and shifting problems. I don't plan on lifting it or putting mudding tires on it as I don't go off road that much but we'll see how long that lasts.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/i_dont_know/6172032128/

^Hopefully that will work!

Anyway paid 900 for it so I'm happy with it. The first day it was parked in my drive way I had a kid want to trade me his 97 Jeep for it.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:29 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech

:wabbit2:
Old 09-24-2011, 02:51 PM

Ok so luckily I called up Marlin before it was too late. Ordered the wrong part. I'm crystal clear on the subject now. Since it's a W56-C trans it's a forward shift. So I need the blue shift lever ball seat from Marlin. . . .correct? I Should be placing the order Sunday/Monday depending on the responses I get. It's grinding when I attempt to shift into 3rd and can not get it into third. In my personal experience it's never the easiest or cheapest fix. So my question would be is it a bad syncro? What all should I look for when I tear down the trans?

Last edited by LukeBrother; 09-24-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice looking truck! Is your dog peeing on the tire? Just asking.

Ok before you go and tear the tranny apart go ahead and install the shifter socket/seat and change the fluid (I can't remember which one at the time but I think it's a GL4, someone here will clear that up). Or go synthetic, I used Royal Purple in my 86 and 89 and it really improved the shifting. I don't even use the clutch much anymore unless I'm at a stop light. While you're in there change the t-case and front/rear differentials also, it's just a good idea to get good fluid in there.

Where is the leak on the engine? Front? Rear? Oil pan? Once you find out where the leak is post up here and we'll help you decide how to fix it. If it's the oil pump seal that's an easy one, if it's the rear main well then that involves dropping the tranny and you might as well do a clutch while you have it off.

Now having said that I don't have ANY exp with the forward shift transmissions. Mine were/are both top shifts and I did replace the socket and seat on the 89, yes it helped with the shifting a heck of a lot.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:20 PM

Thanks Junkers88! The dog is peeing on the tire, it was the previous owners dog but it doesn't matter that much to me. I've established that the transmission is a W56-C Forward Shift. Depending on if the only dealership around here ordered the right part
I know a guy that lives down the road from me that sells royal purple so I will pick that up soon.

The oil leak looks like it's coming from the middle-front of the engine. I will post a picture of it tomorrow when I get the chance. There is no oil on the bell housing or any were near the rear half of the engine. oil pan was caked along with the axle.

Thanks for all your help guys! It eases my mind knowing there's a helping hand a post away!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NWI I recognize that. I used to live in Merrillville. Welcome to Yotatech
Old 09-27-2011, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the welcome SoCal. I live in Valparaiso so I'm about a 30 minute drive from there.

Any way, I'm getting the parts on Friday and I did the paper clip jump to get any error codes. It just kept blinking 5 and 1 so error code 51 is Switch Signal? I don't know what that is or what could be causing the error code. Any ideas guys?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by LukeBrother
Thanks for the welcome SoCal. I live in Valparaiso so I'm about a 30 minute drive from there.

Any way, I'm getting the parts on Friday and I did the paper clip jump to get any error codes. It just kept blinking 5 and 1 so error code 51 is Switch Signal? I don't know what that is or what could be causing the error code. Any ideas guys?
Some additional causes below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...es/index.shtml

Best bet is to follow the FSM troubleshooting section for that code.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 PM

Thank you 4crawler this helps a lot with my emissions testing. I would like to get this fixed before I get plates.

Any of you guys have any luck with Lucus Oil trans fix? I'm going to give that a shot and see if that works at all with the trans issue. If not junk yard here I come!