Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Gear shift boot removal.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
The later model shifters are a lower and upper part. The upper part is flared and filled with a rubbery material into which the lower shaft is inserted. They are thus bonded together. The rubber gunk is there to absorb the vibration and noise from the transmission. Usually you don't want to separate those two pieces as it is hard to get them back together firmly. You can heat up the lower part to soften the bond and pull it out. But then you have to find a way to adhere is back in place.

For the lower boots, try slitting the top ring just enough to let it stretch up and over the fat part of the shifter. Or first try heating up the rubber with a heat gun to soften it up to be stretchier and see if that helps. And if the bottom boot is still in decent shape, like it just has a simple tear, try using a flexible adhesive on the tear, maybe with some mesh tape to reinforce it and call it good.
Many many thanks 4Crawler! You just probably saved me totally screwing up my lever dude. I was getting close to sticking it in the vise and getting jiggy with it and sounds like it would not have ended well. I'll just live with the small tear and look for some sort of sealer like you say. I can get the whole thing on and off as a unit so it's workable. Thanks for the response!