Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Emergency Brake Cable - Is It Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency Brake Cable - Is It Safe?

So today when I came home from work, I pulled on my emergency brake in my 5 Spd, 93 4Runner (4 cyl) and heard a clunk and the thing came really far out. From searching around this forum I'm guessing that its a broken cable based on how other people described their experience of a broken cable.

One thing I was looking for while searching threads was how to make sure its safe. My 4runner is my only vehicle I have insured at the moment so I'll still need to drive it tomorrow to work and the parts shop to get a new brake cable. I'm not really sure when I'll have time to replace the brake cable, so I'm wondering how safe it is to drive with a broken brake cable?

Here's some more information about my situation. I haven't looked under my 4runner yet because its dark and I didn't have a flashlight, plug if the brake isn't working, I don't really want to be messing around under there without something jamming the wheels. I'm just looking to make sure the emergency brake is disengaged, what's the best to make sure of this? And will it remain disengaged (if it is) with the cable broken? As it stands, I believe it is disengaged because when I was in neutral, my 4runner rolled forward. Also, I took it for a quick spin around the block and didn't smell anything like burning brakes at all.

I know I'm a total newbie but hey I'm still quite young and this 4runner is my first major project! Thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
you will probably be fine...check the bell cranks for whatever the e-brake pivots are called at the rear drums to make sure they are towards the backing plate...maybe one of those came loose...

get a flash light and set of wheel chocks, don't park on a slope, leave truck in park/gear and off and have a friend keep foot on brake...
Old 02-21-2013, 04:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A quick glance at the system, from the handle down to the differential area won't take but just a few minutes. I would check it all out and find out where it's broke.

But if it is a cable, you should be ok driving it for necessary stuff, i.e. work, groceries, etc. If its a cable, it won't affect your braking system, since the e-brake is a mechanical system. Doesn't use the hydraulic portion to activate the shoes for holding.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome, I took a look and it seems like its all good to good to drive and definitely a cable. Thanks for the help guys!

I found this thread of the replacement of the cable: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...pickup-164296/

Anyone know what kind of differences I'd be looking at in my 4runner if any?