Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

changing spark plugs on my 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is interesting info. Thanks for sharing it. All I'm saying is that it's a $2 tool and it takes 5 seconds per plug to check (both electrodes). So while the plugs are out it would be a good time to verify. The tool has a handy electrode bender piece that makes slight adjustments easy and painless.

Perhaps I'm looking at it from a supercharged point of view (since my 5VZFE is SC'd). It's absolutely critical for forced induction applications because the SC's will "blow out the wick" if the gap is too large.

Thanks again!
Old 12-28-2009, 08:21 AM

I'm planning to pick up a wire gauge when I get the anti-seize. Hopefully others will learn to have EVERYTHING they need before starting this fairly simple maintenance. I've done some additional editing to add NGK plug specs (gap, torque).

Last edited by zcruiser; 12-28-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rimpainter.com
Perhaps I'm looking at it from a supercharged point of view (since my 5VZFE is SC'd).
I wanna look at it from that point of view!! Dammit!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by brian2sun
I wanna look at it from that point of view!! Dammit!
It'll put a smile on your face every time...but a bit of a frown at the gas pump.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:47 PM

ill do it for cheaper than that. hehe
Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 PM

Do what?
Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM

op post
Old 12-29-2009, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cal01
ill do it for cheaper than that. hehe
For me, $26 for plugs is a big relief over what I thought was a failing transmission due to the shudders under load!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 PM

Bosch plugs are fine, they work great in 4runners.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Antiseize, thats the stuff i did not use , and then broke a spark plug off in #4 cyl (22re) when i went to remove the 4 last April. Was a God send after all, there was a crack in cyl and it was ingesting AF. I Know use A/S on my plugs.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JohnsD90 politely sir I am going to call quick foul on the Bosch plugs.

I would not encourage anything other than what originally came with the block-either the NGKs or the Nippodensos or both but personally I would avoid the Bosch in the 3rd gen. Runner 3.4V6

Is that what you are running now with no problems? If so try the other and you will see what I mean.

no offense intended sir, just my .02 but you will see other threads regarding this very issue.

guys-line up all your supplies up front...get your anti seize for the threads and the di-lectric grease for the boots and you are out maybe $10 at the parts store and good to go. I got that little gripper tool to grab the spark plug boots with and it helps so much.

Last edited by Ron Helmuth; 12-31-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:45 AM

X2. I've had bad experiences w/ Bosch plugs in my 3.4. Burnt them up in less than a year. Changed em out to NGKs and now they last for several years and don't burn like the Boschs. If you have single ground Bosch plugs, you're really asking for problems.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Teuf
Antiseize, thats the stuff i did not use , and then broke a spark plug off in #4 cyl (22re) when i went to remove the 4 last April. Was a God send after all, there was a crack in cyl and it was ingesting AF. I Know use A/S on my plugs.
Took my plugs back out this afternoon, applied anti-seize, checked the gap, and reinstalled w. torque wrench @ 13 ft-lbs. Took under 30 mins.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:53 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
OOPS should have used the word (NOW). Now i know better
Old 01-27-2010, 05:12 AM

Well, I was getting a cylinder #5 misfire code and the check engine light was flashing every once in awhile in my 98 3.4L 4Runner. I decided to change the spark plugs last night but I didn’t do a search before I went to Autozones; I asked for Denso’s but they didn’t have any and then I let the sales dude sell me the Bosch +4 for $5.99 a piece… I swapped them out and she appears to be running better but I haven’t gone very far. Just a note that on the drivers side I had single electrode NGK’s installed and the passenger side had dual electrode Denso’s! After reading some reviews; I am wondering if I should take the Bosch +4 plugs out??? I hate to fix what is not broke but if they are gonna cause me problems in the long run… Any thoughts?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Retrop
Well, I was getting a cylinder #5 misfire code and the check engine light was flashing every once in awhile in my 98 3.4L 4Runner. I decided to change the spark plugs last night but I didn’t do a search before I went to Autozones; I asked for Denso’s but they didn’t have any and then I let the sales dude sell me the Bosch +4 for $5.99 a piece… I swapped them out and she appears to be running better but I haven’t gone very far. Just a note that on the drivers side I had single electrode NGK’s installed and the passenger side had dual electrode Denso’s! After reading some reviews; I am wondering if I should take the Bosch +4 plugs out??? I hate to fix what is not broke but if they are gonna cause me problems in the long run… Any thoughts?
Define "long run". 2 years? 5 years? All depends on how much you drive in a year. They will wear out faster than the dual-tips because they are firing twice as fast as normal plugs. What you can do is re-gap them once a year and you will extend the life of the plugs until you can justify putting in dual-tip plugs. Hopefully you put on the anti-seize so they will be easy to remove!

My plugs went 150K miles / 10 years because they were dual-tip. So you should be fine for a couple years, at least...
Old 02-01-2010, 10:29 AM

I did use the anti-seeze so they should come out easy. I am still getting a cylinder 5 misfire but it is now coupled with random misfire multiple cylinders. The plug wires are OEM and dated 2008 so I don't think they are bad. I am thinking about swapping coil packs to see if it changes cylinders...
Old 03-03-2010, 05:40 PM

Just read this thread ,of course after I had already gapped and installed my new NGK plugs in my 98 4runner (3.4L) . Had a nasty misfire problem and decided to change the wires and plugs. truck ran fine for two weeks after I changed them then the misfire returned. This was my first time using dual electrode plugs and of course the Haynes repair manual didn't mention anything about the proper way to gap these. Just pulled them out tonight and tried to correct the gap on them but I wonder if the damage is done MY BAD!!!

Last edited by mlombardi; 03-03-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by mlombardi
Just read this thread ,of course after I had already gapped and installed my new NGK plugs in my 98 4runner (3.4L) . Had a nasty misfire problem and decided to change the wires and plugs. truck ran fine for two weeks after I changed them then the misfire returned. This was my first time using dual electrode plugs and of course the Haynes repair manual didn't mention anything about the proper way to gap these. Just pulled them out tonight and tried to correct the gap on them but I wonder if the damage is done MY BAD!!!
I'm guessing it's not the plugs if it missed before and after. CEL? Codes? What did your old plugs look like?
Old 03-06-2010, 04:25 AM

Here's the history:

1. started to misfire intermittantly
2. went to advanced auto parts to read codes , came up cylinder #3 misfire
3. changed plugs and wires , problem went away for two weeks
4. problem came back and now it happens all the time, found out on this web site that I shouldn't have gapped the NGK dual electrode plugs. also cleaned the MAF sensor and put fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank.
5. bought new NGK plugs (did not gap them) and used dielectric grease ,on the boots only, of the wires.
6. now it runs fine in the morning going to work, and fine on the way home from work at 3 pm but then if I start it again around 4 pm it starts to misfire almost exactly on the third start of the day

Very Very strange

Quick Reply: changing spark plugs on my 3rd gen?