Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Can you remove oil pan on 3VZE with motor in 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can you remove oil pan on 3VZE with motor in 4Runner?

Hey guys,

Question, I have a '92 4Runner 4wd, and I need to drop the oil pan to replace some bearings, can the pan be removed with the motor still in the truck? As I have never had one of these apart before I am not sure what it needs to clear the windage tray and what ever else is in there. I am doing this outside since I don't have a garage anymore and if it can't be done it will have to wait till next spring when I have a chance to hopefully get a garage built.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 12-02-2010, 06:05 AM

Yes, it can be done on the 3VZE 4x4 . I removed the steering damper (to pull the pan forward) and one motor mount (to prop the engine up) on my '92. Remove the bolts around the pan and trans brackets and pry it away from the baffle if they are stuck together. You will need to slide your hand in there to remove the 3 bolts holding the oil pan pick up and it will slide out.

Reverse the steps to reinstall.

You do not need to touch any of the suspension or axles/differentail to make this happen. Mine was done with the truck on all 4 wheels in a home garage.

jp

Last edited by jpjp; 12-02-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:33 AM

Received 302 Likes on 208 Posts
Is this 22re of a 3vze? I think if you want to be able to replace thing easily, youll want more access than lifting one motor mount. I would drop the front differential and take the pan off that way.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by jpjp
Yes, it can be done on the 3VZE 4x4 . I removed the steering damper (to pull the pan forward) and one motor mount (to prop the engine up) on my '92. Remove the bolts around the pan and trans brackets and pry it away from the baffle if they are stuck together. You will need to slide your hand in there to remove the 3 bolts holding the oil pan pick up and it will slide out.

Reverse the steps to reinstall.

You do not need to touch any of the suspension or axles/differentail to make this happen. Mine was done with the truck on all 4 wheels in a home garage.

jp

JP, thanks, I will get back under there and give it a try soon as it decides to warm back up. It was in the 20's today and there is light snow falling right now, I might have waited too late to try it this year...

Greg
Old 12-02-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by RE-RE
Is this 22re of a 3vze? I think if you want to be able to replace thing easily, youll want more access than lifting one motor mount. I would drop the front differential and take the pan off that way.
Re-Re, it is a 3VZE, I forgot to put it in the message itself, but I did put it in the subject line. I wish I had a garage, but for right now it is drive way or nothing.

Greg
Old 12-03-2010, 02:29 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
I did mine on my 22re.

as a 1st-timer, it really wasn't that terrible. the write-ups I found were helpful but I had to do things MY way.

basically amounted to jacking the truck up on stands as high as they would go, un-bolting the front driveshaft, un-bolting the diff mounts (2 bolts) and unbolting the diff from it's cradle ( 5 bolts if I recall correctly).

i used several jacks and jackstands to keep it all in place safely.

you do have to un-bolt 1 bolt from the steering dampener also in order to sneak the pan around. the oil pickup tube is a PITA to work on in a limited area like that, but it can be done.....i'm proof of that.

see THREAD B in my sig for the write-up.....I will edit this to tell you what post to read, but it's a pretty concise thread documenting my build etc, so i't not a bad one to read.------->>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cement-212688/ ****SEE POST #29****

Now......I have no clue about replacing bearings on the bottom, but I thought you had to remove the crank.....and I thought you can't do that with the motor in the truck.....NO CLUE , but that's what I thought.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 12-03-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:15 AM

92 Toy,

Thanks, I will look through that post. I hope that the V6 pan is easy to get off, I need to do the rods, I could probably do the mains, I have done them on a small block mopar with the motor in the car, wasn't that hard.

Greg
Old 12-03-2010, 03:23 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by RatGDH
92 Toy,

Thanks, I will look through that post. I hope that the V6 pan is easy to get off, I need to do the rods, I could probably do the mains, I have done them on a small block mopar with the motor in the car, wasn't that hard.

Greg

No prob.....I had alot of help with my build, so I pass along whatever I can, whenever I can.

the bottom end, I have ZERO experience with, so I am of no help there.